Government Welfare

Help Support CattleToday:

alftn

Reaction score
How many ac. do you own? And how much government money do you receive???

Have 77.5 ac in the cow farm, use 55 to run cows... Average 5500.00 dollars a year in subsidys,riprian buffer, and set aside...

Its still welfare just be man enough to admit your on it.
You are being paid taxpayer dollars for doing nothing. Why should American taxpayer dollars subsidise you to sit on your butt. This is a major problem with the system today everyone feels entitled.

we own 160 ac. and wouldnt take a dime from the taxpayers...i agree with caustic..why should we pay for others farms when its hard enough for us to pay for our own!

Caustic Burno":11diex0e said:
You are being paid taxpayer dollars for doing nothing. Why should American taxpayer dollars subsidise you to sit on your butt. This is a major problem with the system today everyone feels entitled.

Not so. He's setting land aside land that he could be using (riprian buffer). I think that's my tax dollars well spent. Around here producers have put a lot of land into the CRP program. It's better for the land because of erosion. And some day that land will be available for grazing. That's worth my tax dollars.

Saying that, we're not getting anything from the government, but we have and may again. My daddy used government money to help pay for stock tanks. If he hadn't, this place would have washed away years and years ago.

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it. - Ronald Reagan (1986) add: If it dies, tax it.

Frankie":3c2yvqur said:
Caustic Burno":3c2yvqur said:

Not so. He's setting land aside land that he could be using (riprian buffer). I think that's my tax dollars well spent. Around here producers have put a lot of land into the CRP program. It's better for the land because of erosion. And some day that land will be available for grazing. That's worth my tax dollars.

Saying that, we're not getting anything from the government, but we have and may again. My daddy used government money to help pay for stock tanks. If he hadn't, this place would have washed away years and years ago.

So you are in the system as well.

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul. - George Bernard Shaw

CB Do you use tax right offs?????O'by the way Bush has done more for farm bills than anyone is the past 20 years...I got more welfare...If you do not like it change the system..

alftn":34xd0pfa said:
CB Do you use tax right offs?????O'by the way Bush has done more for farm bills than anyone is the past 20 years...I got more welfare...If you do not like it change the system..

Every American has tax writeoff's. Not every American gets subsidized by the Government for doing nothing. Subsidy and welfare are the same things you are getting paid not to produce.

subsidy
Definition

Financial aid given by the government to individuals or groups.Corporate welfare as corrupt subsidies

Main article: Subsidy
Subsidies considered wasteful, inefficient, or bought by lobbying are often called corporate welfare . Of course, a particular subsidy considered obvious corporate welfare by some may well be thought of as a necessary support by others. Some extreme pork barrel projects given to corporations who donated campaign funds to a politician are obviously corporate welfare, but in other matters it is not as clear. An example would be tax breaks for alternative energy sources; many would consider them "good" subsidies, despite any lobbying done by corporations profiting from them, as the overall effect of promoting alternative energy is considered worth the price by supporters.

The label of corporate welfare is often used to decry projects advertised as benefiting the general welfare that spend a disproportionate amount of funds on large corporations. For instance, in the United States, agricultural subsidies are usually portrayed as helping honest, hardworking independent farmers stay afloat. However, the majority of income gained from commodity support programs actually goes to large agribusiness corporations such as Archer Daniels Midland, as they own a considerably larger percentage of production.[3]

I guess it comes down to, you are a tax and spend democrat or not. I don't think the crp program has done much good for the country or industry considering its price.

If we took all of the billions we have paid farmers to do nothing and used it to develop new crops, uses for existing crops, open up new markets and so forth we could very well have made alot of farms sustainable by some method other than subsidies.

Beef11":sgce110o said:
I guess it comes down to, you are a tax and spend democrat or not. I don't think the crp program has done much good for the country or industry considering its price.

If we took all of the billions we have paid farmers to do nothing and used it to develop new crops, uses for existing crops, open up new markets and so forth we could very well have made alot of farms sustainable by some method other than subsidies.

Just look at the corn lobby and ethanol the most heavily subsidized crop in America it has driven the price of fuel up Cows down, fertilizer up. The only American benifiting from this subsidy is corn farmers.

CB i agree, but the fact is I can really put the 5500$ to work in my farming operation...I would be a fool not to apply for it...It is there and has been since my grandparent day...

There is also a new program that will give you money ....pay 1/2 of new bull up to 750$,,,help put in water system,,fencing,,, I wish I had more money to invest(spend) because there are a lot of programs I would use...The richer you are the more welfare you can get....

alftn":1hzeai5h said:
CB i agree, but the fact is I can really put the 5500$ to work in my farming operation...I would be a fool not to apply for it...It is there and has been since my grandparent day...

I am not angry at you for using the system to help yourself I am angry at the system.
This is need of overhaul bigtime, there should be no subsidy at all in this country.
I am not going to get into the politics of this.

What i I am saying CB ..we sould all use the system to the fullest...no politics...It is there use it....

alftn":3onzyyts said:
What i I am saying CB ..we sould all use the system to the fullest...no politics...It is there use it....

No the system cost Americans and make us weaker. Becoming more dependent on the government.
We should operate under free enterprise not subsidy system.

Our industry is pale and weak due to subsidies. They are a drug that causes benefits on the front end but the long term effects are devastating.

I agree that all the programs for ag is basically welfare and it IS abused to the point that only certain people who dont even need it get it around here. New buildings, fence, gravel. Its all on who is on the comittee that votes. But it is diff than section 8 welfare if you look at it from the big picture. It is money that is injected into the nations ag market, not people having kids sitting in some duplex crying about things they 'need'. I have a 130 acres and have got a tobacco payment of $700 a year for 10 years where they bought the poundage from everybodies land.

Caustic Burno":txg7u77c said:
alftn":txg7u77c said:

Every American has tax writeoff's. Not every American gets subsidized by the Government for doing nothing. Subsidy and welfare are the same things you are getting paid not to produce.

They're not doing "nothing." If a rancher/farmer sets aside land that he could be producing off of to preserve wildlife native to his area, he's getting paid for that land (a buffer). I think that's great.

My dad couldn't have afforded to stop up all the creeks and canyons that were washing this place away 50 years ago, but by teaming up with the government, he slowed down the erosion. I don't guess we'll ever stop it. This land was a cotton farm once. I think stopping soil erosion is good use of tax dollars. We've used government money to improve some of the stock ponds that he put in place and build more.

Tell me, Caustic, since you have all the answers: should I give the place to a rich guy who can afford to pay for that dirtwork himself? Or just let the place wash away?

Latest posts