Government subsidies on cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas":1568b2ch said:
Just for the record my farm payout from the government is $6 per year. I have spent hours trying to get them to just wipe it off the books. I bet it takes $200 to get the $6 to me plus I then get a form that I have to pay taxes on the $6. Now that is for sure a waste.

Kenny I would bet a pretty large sum that it cost a lot more than $200 to send you your $6. I work close enough to those Federal agencies that I see the waste and stupidity that occurs there. I don't want to point out specifics on a public forum but lets say you are a very tiny tip of a huge iceberg.

James T":c7qqcuv6 said:
skyhightree1":c7qqcuv6 said:
eww... this is a touchy subject I see

Yes, indeed! "The White House, which also is pushing for the end of direct payments, says more than 50 percent of the subsidies go to farmers making more than $100,000 in income."

http://chat.anncoulter.com/phpBB3///vie ... &view=next

That all sounds like they are going to fix the problem but sounds like semantics to me. Replacing the direct payments with taxpayer subsidized insurance is like turning children loose in a candy factory because our present crop insurance program is broken. All the government needs to do is go back to the true intent of these programs which was to keep the farmer from losing his farm if the prices floored or some true disaster came and wiped everything out.

There are good honest farmers who dispise these programs and are embarrassed by those who take advantage of the system. This is similar to the safety net called welfare. Unfotunately there are those people and farmers who have woven these programs into hammocks at the expense of the taxpayer. I have no problem with helping someone having a hard time but I have a tremendous problem with those who don't try or who abuse a program designed to help them when times get hard AND I have a huge problem with a government that stands by and allows them to do it when they know full well what they are doing.

We don't grow any legal weed and we don't subsidize cattle (directly) in MN. We do subsidize sugar beets and environmental programs and grain crops. My issue is that a big part of the local funds go towards confinement manure storage - - rather than towards something that promotes sustainable ag.

Hook - - what have the Feds bought for your cows?

Jogeephus":1xeavid1 said:
James T":1xeavid1 said:
skyhightree1":1xeavid1 said:
eww... this is a touchy subject I see

Yes, indeed! "The White House, which also is pushing for the end of direct payments, says more than 50 percent of the subsidies go to farmers making more than $100,000 in income."

http://chat.anncoulter.com/phpBB3///vie ... &view=next

That all sounds like they are going to fix the problem but sounds like semantics to me. Replacing the direct payments with taxpayer subsidized insurance is like turning children loose in a candy factory because our present crop insurance program is broken. All the government needs to do is go back to the true intent of these programs which was to keep the farmer from losing his farm if the prices floored or some true disaster came and wiped everything out.

There are good honest farmers who dispise these programs and are embarrassed by those who take advantage of the system. This is similar to the safety net called welfare. Unfotunately there are those people and farmers who have woven these programs into hammocks at the expense of the taxpayer. I have no problem with helping someone having a hard time but I have a tremendous problem with those who don't try or who abuse a program designed to help them when times get hard AND I have a huge problem with a government that stands by and allows them to do it when they know full well what they are doing.
And that right there is the whole point of this thread :clap:

Stocker Steve":wwgdvesc said:

Not a darn thing. I've earned every dime that I've put into my operation

hooknline":3qydtzjm said:
Stocker Steve":3qydtzjm said:

Not a darn thing. I've earned every dime that I've put into my operation

Hook, they have a program where they will come out and visit your property and draw up a plan and you can get money to put in a bluebird box on a tree. They will even tell you how to do it. You really ought to look into this. I know its a lot of paperwork and will involve 3 agencies but I don't mind our government spending hundreds of dollars for you to put a $5 wooden box on your property cause that's in the constitution and YOU are ENTITLED to it. Besides, bluebirds are cool.

If a man had just known, he could have bought all the land he wanted the last time the boom went bust----------1980's--------------and paid for it with the CRP program.

I picked up some hay at a friends house today and we got talking about this thread. He told us how to get upto $330,000.00 and not lose anything but your credit and not much of that. There's some folks that know the system and how to play it. Our farm is in my wifes name because she's a minority and she gets special treatment. Also make sure you lease your land to your LLC so if something goes wrong your not liable, and you still have personal credit. Seems like the more you have the easier it is to steal from the Government. The only tax break we get is for Conservation use Covenant and Assessment. We were thinking about doing something with all this available money. But we just can't seem to figure out how to make it right in our minds.

hooknline":2bmpne5l said:
That money should have gone to the families of smokers before they knew the medical risks but that's another deal. At least it wasn't straight out of tax payer pockets. Well, directly anyway
Thanks for clarifying Tn for me
Those risks have been known for a long time.

tom4018":1a9t39mf said:
hooknline":1a9t39mf said:
That money should have gone to the families of smokers before they knew the medical risks but that's another deal. At least it wasn't straight out of tax payer pockets. Well, directly anyway
Define long time. And why are people that aren't or weren't affected directly by tobacco farming reaping the benefits?

hooknline":26nton9q said:
tom4018":26nton9q said:
hooknline":26nton9q said:
Define long time. And why are people that aren't or weren't affected directly by tobacco farming reaping the benefits?
Some of the info blaming cancer to smoking dates bact to the 1920's. I can't speak for other areas but to get any of the money in KY you had to have raised tobacco or owned a farm with a toacco base. Regardless of who gets is, the money in the long run came from the people. The companies get it from customers and the goverment get it from people and companies that pay taxes.

Tom, you are right but the money you speak of is only a portion that had to go to people who had been farming it or owned the allotment. There is another pile of money that went elsewhere. My town, much to the dismay of the taxpayers, is using some of this money for some really stupid stuff that we will end up having to pay the upkeep on for years but political cycles seem to think its free money so why not grab it.

Jogeephus":3qb71qln said:
Tom, you are right but the money you speak of is only a portion that had to go to people who had been farming it or owned the allotment. There is another pile of money that went elsewhere. My town, much to the dismay of the taxpayers, is using some of this money for some really stupid stuff that we will end up having to pay the upkeep on for years but political cycles seem to think its free money so why not grab it.
I agree only a small part makes it to the farming community, I think more and mor of it will go into the general fund since the goverments are looking for every dollar they can get.

I think there is some confusion on the settlement. The original settlement money went all over. Phase II money went to growers, and people that had a base. I think the loose floors shared in that pot as well. I don't equate my portion of the settlement with a hand out. Just reimbursement from the damage caused by the first settlement.

Jogeephus":38inct3c said:
hooknline":38inct3c said:
I had a better offer for the gopher turtles.

I was offered $75/acre for those things. Wonder what they'd pay me for my soul?
"The Devil came to Georgia, and he was ______ "

I live in the gopher state and I raise turtles. Why didn't I get an offer ???

hooknline":1gxdudf5 said:
Another thread got me thinking and I didn't want to hijack it.
Inyati and dun both said their states have a program to subsidize cattle purchases, and I've seen several threads where the Feds and the states subsidize land costs, equipment improvements, hay barns etc.
my question is this: alot of the same people that beat the drum about welfare etc also seem to be the same people that take advantage of these programs. How does one rationalize that while comaining about government costs, expenditures, programs etc?
I'm am NOT pointing fingers at anyone at all so dont anyone go taking offense. I'm just curious how the rationalization works :help:

It is taxpayer money how ever you look at it.
It is part of the overall problem with the country, it's buying vote's.
One can move into the hypocrite pew real quick.

Latest posts