Government subsidies on cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

hooknline":1fuzfnoo said:
How much did that fella inbred get from the gvt when his feeders died from the heat? I thought he said 250k. I'm not sure. Gvt programs to put in ponds, wells, etc. that money comes from somewhere and somewhere is usually tax payers.
And people wonder why we are fubar'ed

I am on the local committee that approves these things here. Some play the system even there. We have approved over a million dollars just in this county in the last 18 months. This is money that goes back into the local economy for projects that not only help the producer but also the local streams. Maybe some of it is considered a handout by some of you but there is good coming from it. Whether it is the KY people getting cost share on a cow, or the guys from TN getting cost share on a feed barn or in VA getting some on a bull it is not all a handout like welfare. They have to also spend their own money to pay for the part not paid for with cost share. They also pay taxes on what they get so it is not a freebee.

Not to take away from your tobacco topic.
I have a well where a windmill used to be and electricity is a 1/2 mile away so I checked on a solar pump.
The cheapest that would work was around 2000.00 and the guy that sells them said check with the fsa they will pay for the majority of it. He said his customers do it ll the time.
I haven't checked but why the heck would they pay for my pump, why would they use taxpayers money for my pump.

hooknline":3ubmrut2 said:
So, if I understand this right.. Taxpayers that had nothing to do with the gvts decisions then should pay to give people who may or may not have been impacted. And that's ok?
R.J. Reynolds. Phillip Morris, Lorillard, Brown&Williamson, $206 billion over 25 years.

cross, I dont think it is that easy. At least it is not here. If there is an enviromental issue that doing that will take care of, yes they may pay for part of it. Check and see though something might be different there.

kenny thomas":12hz1dsb said:
hooknline":12hz1dsb said:
How much did that fella inbred get from the gvt when his feeders died from the heat? I thought he said 250k. I'm not sure. Gvt programs to put in ponds, wells, etc. that money comes from somewhere and somewhere is usually tax payers.
And people wonder why we are fubar'ed

I am on the local committee that approves these things here. Some play the system even there. We have approved over a million dollars just in this county in the last 18 months. This is money that goes back into the local economy for projects that not only help the producer but also the local streams. Maybe some of it is considered a handout by some of you but there is good coming from it. Whether it is the KY people getting cost share on a cow, or the guys from TN getting cost share on a feed barn or in VA getting some on a bull it is not all a handout like welfare. They have to also spend their own money to pay for the part not paid for with cost share. They also pay taxes on what they get so it is not a freebee.

Water quality issues I can understand to a degree. But how does a hay barn, a feed barn, a cow or a bull benefit all the taxpayers paying for that one hay barn, feed barn, cow or bull? If tax payers are paying for it, it should benefit the tax payers, not the operators only.

I can answer only for here. The hay barn, bull, cow, comes from the tobacco settlement money.
The feed barns are through a federal program designed to control the runoff from an area where people might feed. The manure is then spread where it is needed and not do damage to the streams. I do think it goes overboard.

ga.prime":13sm22kd said:
cross_7":13sm22kd said:
I haven't checked but why the heck would they pay for my pump, why would they use taxpayers money for my pump.
Why don't you ask them?

I don't think it's right for someone else to pay for my pump.

The money comes from the tobacco companies. They got fat off the government. This is just the grease off their hind ends getting cooked.

Prior to this the government only controlled how much was raised, and set a floor on prices. They are out all together. If you raise tobacco now, you work for the companies.

It's such a localized thing it's really hard to explain. Here is what raising tobacco was like prior to the settlement-----------It's kind of like if you had an artesian well on your place that boiled out nickels. The government told you for years that you could only roll x amount of nickels per year. No matter how many nickels your well spits out. Then you could only trade those nickels for pennies, and you could trade with one of three companies. It's all very confusing, you just know there is money pouring on the ground.

I can only remember taking any kind of Govt. help once and it was after a drought year back before they implemented a program that now we have to buy insurance if we want to collect on losses. I think they paid $26 per cow owned which didnt even put a dent in the expenses I had, not that it matters. In my opionon one major difference would be that people receiving this money are working and most are working a full time job and farming or raising cattle on the side. When they get money on a hay barn they will buy fertilizer for the hay, fuel for the tractor, equipment and upkeep, baler twine or wrap etc. Hence, putting tax money back into the economy. I have no problem with people that need welfare getting welfare. The problem in that program is that there are 47 million some odd people collecting on it. I would have no problem estimating that at least one third or more of them are as able or more able to work than I am but their too lazy to do it.

Circle H Ranch

As far as subsidies to the farmer go, the government gets their monies worth. They implement a cheap food policy. They want food to be plentiful as well. Communism crumbled in russia when the common man got hungry. Come to find out the communist party could treat people as bad as they wanted to, and nobody complained. When they got hungry, they got ancy. Do you think you would tolerate all the crap you are subjected to on a daily bases on an empty stomach. Come on now. Think about it.

Using the argument that farm subsidies go back into the economy, don't you think welfare and food stamps do also? They pay rent, buy food(or chips and soda) from stores that employ people.

I dont know if they pay rent or not. I do know some are in low income fixed housing. As far as putting back into the economy, yes they buy food. Could be a $1.49 mountain dew and some chips from a store that a tax exempt guy from India owns. My daughter worked part time at a local store. Most people on food stamps know exactly how to play the system and what they can get away with. When I brought up that tax exempt guy from India we are headed into another huge problem created by the Govt . that I dont agree with either.

Circle H Ranch

Dont know how to do all that cpy stuff but BEZ my memory is pretty good my wife would probably argue the point. I do not believe ours is done by taxpayers like someone else on here said the folks that run it are paid by the state and they do come around and check.
If you look around just the handling equip has probably saved lots of emergency room visits the barns have kept hay out of the rain and the genetics part has really improved the livestock if all these other states spent there money on foodstamps or whatever that was between them and the citizens of that state i think Tn has done a great job with there money at least its going back to farms and as long as they have it im gonna use it like it was intended to be used and not feel a bit guilty.

hooknline":3fyorq27 said:
cross_7":3fyorq27 said:
In my part of the world the coffee shop talk is about welfare, lonestar card, government housing and how we need to shut that off.(i agree we need to do a better job)
Then they all leave go to the post office to see if the their direct payment, countercyclical payment, disaster check and etc has come in.
There is also a lot that have been known to farm for the insurance check also

I have asked and made a few mad but I don't really care
The answer I got was when they make big crop they are raped on taxes(true) so they say they are just getting some of their money back.

Edit

All the talk on the radio is about getting a long term frm bill
One of the problems is the crop insurance budget, I forget how many billions it cost tax payers but it was huge.

So I'm not the only one noticing this hypocracy?

Its the same here. Thats how all this started.... "if there doing it why shouldn't I". No one wants to be the first ones to say no thanks we dont want it.

The way I understand it, the tobacco allotment began as a way to stablize supply to keep farmers from growing too much tobacco and flooding the market. It was illegal for anyone to grow tobacco without some poundage. These allotments were GIVEN to the farmers based on their historic production. In time as farmers aged or tired of growing tobacco other farmers bought their allotments so they could grow more and make more money. The government was reaping a huge some of money on tobacco taxes each year and they were happy. Small rural towns prospered. Then public opinion shifted and the crop that helped build this country became a dirty word so the government decided it was time for the mean old tobacco companies to pay for their sins so they came up with this penalty. Hundreds of small tobacco manufacturers and their employees were put out of business and the government collected the penalty from the mean old companies that were owned by individual stockholders like you and I. The government then paid the farmer for taking away what they had GIVEN them in the first place. But only just a little. The rest of the money went toward funding grants to cities and towns. Why none of this money went toward paying those who were denied their right to grow tobacco or to those who lost money on tobacco stocks is somewhat puzzling but for the few companies that were left standing this was a very small price to pay for a government approved monopoly.

Oh, and Kenny, it only costs $3 for them to give out a $1 the last time I checked.

cross_7":118gt7xs said:
My wife job gives her access to acres farmed
A local guy passed away and I new his widow would sell out so I asked her to look and see what all he owned(to be sold) well the site also shows government payouts. This guy(only one we looked at) had received nearly a millions dollars in a little over 20 years.
What don't know is what they pay in taxes.
I do know I have freind that had a big crop a few years back and he had to write a check for 200000.00
I'd like to see a fair tax rate for everyone
You make 10000.00 you pay 10%
You make 1000000.00 you pay 10%
I don't see how penalizing the sucessful and rewarding the lazy is a good thing

I checked that one year too...there are farmers getting "millions" every year. They've learned to work the system too. They'll have Joe and Mary farm, Mary adn Joe Farm, Joe Jones Family Trust Farm and a then get the kids involved. A real racket as most don't care if one dam seed germinates.

If you really want to set your blood boiling you should look at the crop insurance. Farm on east side of the road only made 600 lbs of peanuts but the farm on the west side of the road made 3 tons to the acre. Good thing Farmer Brown had insured the crop on the east side cause the drought was really bad there.

Don't get me wrong. I am in favor of the crop support in the event the bottom falls out due to speculators or something like that but to be subsidized when making bumper crops is BS. And this crop insurance can be fixed easily by using a crop average on all their lands and all their sales. If their production is average or better on the whole then no payment is allowed on any particular field when the whole meets the average. This only makes sense to me because this is the intent of the insurance. But like the head guy from the Federal Crop Insurance said, "Our job is not to police the farmer but to make payments for low yields."

Latest posts