Got to pull my first calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Fuchifarm

Reaction score
So last night I got to pull my first calf. Our Dexter heifer is 24months old and about 750lbs and black. We AI'd her to a mini Hereford bull that has an avg birth weight of 27lbs. Both of the calf's legs were above her head and got hung up. That and persistent hymen caused the heifer to exhaust her self pushing. Repositioning the legs wasn't bad but getting the chains on for first time was a struggle. Its so slimy in there and the legs kept slipping out of my hands. Took about 30 minutes but got the calf out alive, a 30lb girl.

The heifer's half sister is due in 6 wks. She is bred to the same bull and is 28 month old and about 800lbs. She had a dime size cervix and was extremely tough to breed. So I anticipate having to do this again. I've seen the ob straps for sell. Are they any easier to work with? I want to be better prepared for her cause she is very skiddish compared to this one.

We have 5 registered Dexters as our breeding stock. 3 heifers and their 2 mothers. The older cows are 6 and 5 and both are around 1000lbs. They have delivered without issue the 3 heifers for us and a wagyu cross bull calf. We used Michifuku for the sire for the last breeding. The calf was born on April 15th and was 50lbs. The other cow isn't due till Thanksgiving. The 3rd heifer and the other cow will get bred this week. The heifer will be bred to the same mini Hereford bull and the cow will be bred to another wagyu bull that's known for ribeye production. I just can't think of his name right now.

We thought we would get a black baldy out of it but she turn out red. We will halter train her and hope she retains the good milk quality that Dexter's have.

Here is the calf right after she was pulled.

Here she is this morning.

Also here is the cow and wagyu cross bull.

For better traction on the slippery slimy put on a pair of clean jersey gloves

If you're used to the chains the OB straps are awkward at first but do not have as much potential to injure the calf's legs. Just make sure they're thoroughly cleaned (it's a lot easier to soak chains in iodine).

Cute baby - good luck with the next one.

You had to pull a 30# calf ?! That's crazy, But you said they're Dexters which are the smallest breed of cattle right.

You sound enthusiastic that you got to pull your first calf!

You will enjoy it more when they come unassisted.

Congratulations. It is a worthy experience.

Congrats on your new healthy calf!
My 8 will start in about a month and I'm hoping to be prepared.

dun":mlja55nj said:
For better traction on the slippery slimy put on a pair of clean jersey gloves

Hey Dun or anyone else.
"Jersey" gloves. Is that a brand name or kinda like any gritty palm and fingered gloves like fisherman use to hold slippery fish?
Thanks

sim.-ang.king":6e69z7dy said:
http://www.fullsource.com/memphis-gloves-7100/?gclid=CK6ThLO2o84CFQaJaQodVR8GUg

Cotton gloves don't get slippery when wet.
That would be them

Definitely was not enthusiastic about having to pull the calf. Was very enthusiastic that I pulled it and she lived. I believe she would have done it unassisted if the calf's feet had of been in the right position to begin with. She kept pushing but they we're hung on the top of the pelvic bone. I had been checking on her every 2hrs so not sure how long she was in labor before I got involved but she was exhausted at that point. She was due on Monday but her pelvic ligaments had completely disappeared Friday sunset. Mucous started passing around 2pm on Saturday and I found her in labor at 4:30pm on Sunday. Since it was our first heifer to calve I kept track of her closely.

I used to get a 10pk of brown cotton gloves at Walmart for $10 in the automotive section. Will have to see if they still carry them. I know harbor freight carries white ones. I think I will stick to the chains just going to put in some time practicing with them. Fingers crossed I won't need them for the next one.

OK another question besides the dexters I have this girl picture below named Dolce. We picked her up because my wife felt sorry for her. She was 3 months old and maybe 150lbs. She is part low line, part limousin, and part charolais. In the photo she is 6 months old and was about 425lbs. Dolce is now 12 months and 800lbs. She came into her first heat today. I need to measure her hip height but I would estimate around 45-48in. So around a frame score of 4-5. My wife is thinking about her future breeding. She is considering a British white just not sure she will be big enough for a 60-70lb calf. Any thoughts considering her varied heritage?

The best method of figuring out what size calf she should be able to have is to have her pelvic measured.

Had to google the pelvic measurement info. Vet will be here Friday for AI service call for my dexters so I'll get her measured then.

Let her know in advance you want it done. She may not carry the pelvimeter with her all the time.

Got Dolce checked yesterday. She was 825lb and had 12cm x 15cm pelvic measurement at 12 months old. So sounds like a 70lb calf would be ok but I talked the wife into using the 50lb avg bw wagyu bull for her first calf.

Also got some bad news it looks like our 6yo cow is now open. We checked her at 60 days and vet thought she was bred. Checked yesterday at 5 months along cause I saw her standing and vet said she i pretty sure she is open. I'm going to have to separate her from the others. She is overfed. I'm thinking about picking up a young bull to run with her till she gets bred back. Just have to find something suitable.

If you don't mind me asking, how much does a dose of wagyu cost and are there any strings attached? For some reason I was thinking it was pretty tightly controlled and extremely expensive.

From where we ordered our semen the bull Michifuku is $60 a straw. Some bulls start at $30per and go up to $2000. Semen is widely available as well as embryo transfers. Getting imported animals is extremely tightly controlled but full blood registered bulls are available in the south east and start around $5k near by and go up to outrageous prices.

I should note that we are breeding the wagyu cross for our table. We are experimenting for exceptional quality and raising them to standards that we can't buy commercially.

Just wanted to post an update. The 2nd heifer had a bull calf today about 1pm. By my records she wasn't due till Sept 26. He came out completely unassisted.

This morning she didn't come for feed and was acting standoffish to everyone. I tried to check her then but she wouldn't let me within 20ft. I did notice her vulva was very swollen and her teats had strutted. She was pacing with tail up so I decided to keep an eye on her.

I'm still waiting for her to pass the placenta but the boy is doing good and nursing.
I got him weighed after his 2nd nursing and he was between 33 and 34lbs. Had to weigh him by myself so was having trouble getting an accurate weight.

Here are the 2 calves side by side. 32 days old and 9 days old.

Here is the bull calf with mom.

Latest posts