got one in the jail to sale

Help Support CattleToday:

BRYANT

Reaction score
I bought a cow three years back, sale barn cull, was going to calve her out and sell and that's been 3 calves ago. She raises a tremendous calf is why I let her stay around but she is CRAZY, she will fight you try, try to run through the side of the working pens if you ever get her in the working pens. My trailer has been at the farm parked in the loading alley for three + weeks waiting for her and her 500+ lb calf to go in the lot well she did it yester day now she is in the jail house lot waiting to take a one way trip. I know she will clear out the sale barn

BRYANT":2ngt9gwr said:
I bought a cow three years back, sale barn cull, was going to calve her out and sell and that's been 3 calves ago. She raises a tremendous calf is why I let her stay around but she is CRAZY, she will fight you try, try to run through the side of the working pens if you ever get her in the working pens. My trailer has been at the farm parked in the loading alley for three + weeks waiting for her and her 500+ lb calf to go in the lot well she did it yester day now she is in the jail house lot waiting to take a one way trip. I know she will clear out the sale barn

I don't know you may want to eat her :D

My best friend had a raging lunatic, also took forever to get her caught/loaded. When they let her in the ring at the sale barn, true to character she put on a show & they ran her out immediately - bidding commenced after she was safely back in the pens. Didn't get squat for her but any price is better than a hospital bill - or worse. Glad you're getting rid of her!!

Folks that work cattle with horses dont seem to mind cows like that. It just knocks out those of us who work them afoot.

I've got several that must have been run with 4 wheelers. The get antsy when I show up on the mule. They don't mind the truck to much. Give me a wide berth when I pen them and are glad when I show them a hole. I've had them about a year.

skyhightree1":3l9kxoo7 said:
BRYANT":3l9kxoo7 said:

I don't know you may want to eat her :D
The family and me went out for dinner tonight and was just talking about that. My daughter in law informed me we are all almost out of hamburger meat (deer) we have freezers that we put deer in regardless of which one of us kill them. I told her I would not mind doing that with this cow if I had a place to cool it down but its so hot I hate to try it.

bird dog":yh2r7di9 said:
She will probably be a dark cutter.
what do you mean ?
I think you are saying she wont bleed out good, I have seen that in mean bulls that I killed when I worked at a packing plant, their blood also would not clot like other bulls.
if I had a place to hang her to cool her out all I would have done would have been pull the tender loin and grind the rest.

It's a relief getting one like that loaded and gone. I'd say that's the reason she was originally at the sale barn when you bought her. You did the right thing getting shed of her before one of y'all got hurt.

I was wondering why you have to get her up? Do you work your cows several times a year? I don't like wild cattle either..... but if one is raising a really good calf why not just let her go. I have some cows that haven't been worked since they were heifers....years.
Unless a cow has a specific health issue, she don't get run thru the chute just for good measure.
All the calves do get worked, but the cows don't unless need be....now if she is dangerous at all times now that's a different story.

I think some folks sedate their wild cows when they sell them. I've bought some that weren't crazy in the ring, but once I got them home they were nuts. I never let them out of the working pens unless they jump out. The very next week their back at the sale.

True Grit Farms":1om03m4e said:
I think some folks sedate their wild cows when they sell them. I've bought some that weren't crazy in the ring, but once I got them home they were nuts. I never let them out of the working pens unless they jump out. The very next week their back at the sale.
:lol: I have though the same thing. I have bought calves before that were real calm in the ring and that was one reason I bought them. Get them home and after a few days they are crazy acting.

Banjo":3jku51mm said:
I was wondering why you have to get her up? Do you work your cows several times a year? I don't like wild cattle either..... but if one is raising a really good calf why not just let her go. I have some cows that haven't been worked since they were heifers....years.
Unless a cow has a specific health issue, she don't get run thru the chute just for good measure.
All the calves do get worked, but the cows don't unless need be....now if she is dangerous at all times now that's a different story.
If you read many of my post I do buy some cattle clean them up, turn them out let them calve then sell in the fall. Some of the ones I like to buy are ones that are a little on the wild side because a lot of the time, most of the time, they will calm down and be good cattle She never would calm and was becoming a problem with the other cows and calves because she would not go in the lot but try to run off a ways and take others with her. As for getting my cattle up I go to this pasture about once a week and when I do they always get a small treat ,cattle cubes, not a lot but it does not take a lot for them to learn to run to the corral when they see my pick up or hear my horn. so my cattle handle good I could take a feed sack and lead them any place I wanted them to go. You want to make wild cows that cant be worked with and does not want to go to the lot then every time you catch them in the lot do something to them to hurt them and it wont take long till they wont go to the lot. Also I cant stand a high headed cow or bull that stands around wanting to fight someone all the time, my 3 yr. old grandson goes with me some times and I have to have cattle that he can stand by my pick up while I feed and me not be concern that some ol high headed cow will go try to get him.

True Grit Farms":36t9ue7i said:
We killed a bull several years ago when I worked at a packing house that had been drugged. They said he had any ways , unloaded on a weekend and was so crazy Mon. we had to shoot him in the pens could not even get him to kill shoot. USDA probably would not even let us do what we did then.

BRYANT":2wxexw6n said:
Banjo":2wxexw6n said:
If you read many of my post I do buy some cattle clean them up, turn them out let them calve then sell in the fall. Some of the ones I like to buy are ones that are a little on the wild side because a lot of the time, most of the time, they will calm down and be good cattle She never would calm and was becoming a problem with the other cows and calves because she would not go in the lot but try to run off a ways and take others with her. As for getting my cattle up I go to this pasture about once a week and when I do they always get a small treat ,cattle cubes, not a lot but it does not take a lot for them to learn to run to the corral when they see my pick up or hear my horn. so my cattle handle good I could take a feed sack and lead them any place I wanted them to go. You want to make wild cows that cant be worked with and does not want to go to the lot then every time you catch them in the lot do something to them to hurt them and it wont take long till they wont go to the lot. Also I cant stand a high headed cow or bull that stands around wanting to fight someone all the time, my 3 yr. old grandson goes with me some times and I have to have cattle that he can stand by my pick up while I feed and me not be concern that some ol high headed cow will go try to get him.

I remember years ago when I took over my uncles cattle. Back then he fed small squares in a bunk under a barn. I had a heifer I wanted to keep. After weaning sh got skiddish and wouldn't let you get close. At the onset of winter feeding she wouldn't come under the barn till I was gone. Took a while but before spring I could walk up beside her and she wouldn't leave the bunk.

I'll say some can be calmed down, but I've had many more get crazier as time goes on. Sold a 10 year old earlier this year for that reason.

1982vett":4gz16avx said:
BRYANT":4gz16avx said:
Banjo":4gz16avx said:

I remember years ago when I took over my uncles cattle. Back then he fed small squares in a bunk under a barn. I had a heifer I wanted to keep. After weaning sh got skiddish and wouldn't let you get close. At the onset of winter feeding she wouldn't come under the barn till I was gone. Took a while but before spring I could walk up beside her and she wouldn't leave the bunk. One of the reasons I pen replacements And feed for a couple weeks before turning out to pasture.

I'll say some can be calmed down, but I've had many more get crazier as time goes on. Sold a 10 year old earlier this year for that reason.

I got one that I'm taking to slaughter soon. She's been on the trailer once as a calf, and never since. She's calmed down a lot, so I'm hoping it's run in her real quick one time and be done with it. I think if she gets halfway on and then backs out it could be bad.

Bestoutwest":3goxwt3z said:
I got one that I'm taking to slaughter soon. She's been on the trailer once as a calf, and never since. She's calmed down a lot, so I'm hoping it's run in her real quick one time and be done with it. I think if she gets halfway on and then backs out it could be bad.
That is where a hot shot is really valuable.

Latest posts