Got one dried off

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Born in the wee hours of the morning. Found him at daylight. Standing, wasn't sure he had sucked. Brought him in to dry off, and get colostrum. 12 inches of snow, and single digit night coming up. How long before you guys put them back with the cow? No doubt she'll take him back. Almost got me, when I loaded him up.

Ours go back out once they've had a good feed, are dried off, and usually trying to explore the house... They aren't very clean house pets... But ours will be going into the barn. If you have some sort of windbreak where he can be out of the elements, and it is bedded, I'd put him out as soon as he gets to be a pest.

Had 2 this morning, only about 2 inches of ice and snow. One was already in the little calf hut and the other was sucking momma and she was drying her as qucik as she could so I let them be. Next year may move the dates up another week, this global warming has been rough around here the last few days.

I took him back about a half hour ago. I went to see if she would follow the calf on the 4 wheeler. When she bellered, he got so rambunctious, that I couldn't hold him any more. Just checked them again, and they were about 1000 yards from ground zero. I might lose him yet, but it looks promising for now. Bull never goes in on these cows till May 15th. Got several more showing. That day has worked for me for 40 years. May have to rethink it.

The dropping barometric pressure seems from this front seems to have kicked it off for me. Had a couple on Saturday and two more drop yesterday. This morning I noticed another going off by herself with her tail stuck out. Luckily we do not have snow yet but plenty of rain......that is turning to ice which might be worse. I'll try to find her this evening.

Glad to hear he's off and running, BF.
Mine aren't due for another two weeks. Hope this is the last hurrah for winter, but you never know.
Had about 20 hit the ground during that ice/snow deal last year at the first of March. Had at least 4 spend the night in the house before they went back out to mama. Don't remember any spending more than one, maybe two nights indoors.

I'm still disappointed in myself letting that calf get away. Maybe they'll be alright. The snow stopped a few hours, maybe she'll be able to bed him somewhere.

So far through the years our mamas have always followed the calf in so we get 'em dry and on their feet then in the pen with mom to see if they'll get going with her. If not, colostrum and a bottle until the two work it out. I dread the next week. Our due dates start today with a fresh 6" of snow on the ground and single digit lows for the next week. Our winter was going great...until it was time to start calving. Good luck with your little guy.

I have one ready that I bought from a lady in Tenn. Otherwise I keep the bull away from them so they don't calve before March 1. I hate it when they freeze solid. :frowns:
I'm in Illinois about 2 hours north of Kentucky.

I have had 6 calves born the past 2 days none born today or not yet. The weather here is about the same we got about 6" of snow with wind and temp around 20. They all seem to be doing ok I filled up the hay rings and unrolled a couple rolls out where they spend a lot of time for bedding. Wish theses cows where at the house so they could get in the barn but there on some leased ground.

Bigfoot":3gbfxur6 said:
I took him back about a half hour ago. I went to see if she would follow the calf on the 4 wheeler. When she bellered, he got so rambunctious, that I couldn't hold him any more. Just checked them again, and they were about 1000 yards from ground zero. I might lose him yet, but it looks promising for now. Bull never goes in on these cows till May 15th. Got several more showing. That day has worked for me for 40 years. May have to rethink it.
I do the 20th. Get an extra 5 days to rest. :lol:

At what temperature and or conditions do you worry about new calves. Being in south central Texas I have never had to bring one in to the barn. I have had three born this month so far.

He was fine this morning. She had been sucked, and he was in a decent enough spot for the 12-15 inches of snow we have. I should have weighed him while he was at the house. 130 pounds is my guess.

Glad it is doing good. If anything came in heat when the bull was put in they could go next week, but if something goes early it may be in this mess. I hope not but several are sacked up good.

That's good. I hope you guys have some good luck with them. It's fixing to get cold here next couple days. My last calved this morning (new cow bought last summer, for "fall calving" :roll:)

I thought I was upset because my cows are later then I want. Had a bull that went bad after being checked 2 seasons ago. I was shooting for calving around Valentines back then. I will now be calving first week in April. It may be a blessing in disguise with this weather.

Latest posts