Got my bull

Help Support CattleToday:

I am far from knowing what is best when it comes to cattle. That bulls shoulders look wide almost like wings that stick out past his body. And that spells trouble when it comes to calving ease. When I look at a bull head on I like to see a smooth V heading towards the hips.

He is very coarse shouldered. Look at his front feet, it toes out to a ten to two position, making him very prominent at the point of shoulder. When it comes to calving it means the point of shoulder of the calf will tend to get caught on the pelvic rim. If his calves are small enough and the cows' pelvic openings big enough it might not cause any problems at all, but just about every bull will have an outlier or two as far as birthweight goes and those calvings might get interesting....

I agree he is not for heifers and he is not for breeding replacements, but the breed (if you can call a black limousin a breed) was never meant to be cowmakers either. He should do a decent job as a terminal sire, but be aware of what might lie ahead.

Highgrit, a bul'ls shoulders should always be wider than his hips, the opposite applies for a cow, but I agree the shoulders should be neatly laid in with a strong neck shoulder and shoulder rib attachment.

Highgrit thanks for the info. That makes good sense. Here is the closest thing I have to a head on shot. I can try and take some tomorrow.
68831F6B-9044-4261-ACF9-F23D4554B283-12094-00000CD3E76A3119_zps153aee12.jpg

The feet look a bit different here. In many of the pics I took he was either moving or about to move as I was getting closer than he wanted. I'm sure that can alter an animals characteristics somewhat. I have nothing but cows and they have all had at least 3 calves. Outside of 3 that I will be culling they are big mamas. It is mind blowing how much goes into making a few calves. Certainly not what I expected. Thanks for the input fellas.

51AF4A28-5177-4B0B-8BDB-A94EF1245D32-12094-00000CD684868579_zpse24eee09.jpg

How about the shoulders and toe position now? These are as head on as I can get. Would love to hear some feedback.

Latest posts