got me a 2001 jd 5210

Help Support CattleToday:

dieselbeef

Reaction score
with a self leveling loader..needs tires real bad but i think itll be my last one

that pos massey caught fire again and burnt the dash and all the wiring so bad they aint gonna fix it this time

ill try to get up a pic but its a real pita from here...

any of yall got one..goods and bads....

I have this one I bought in 1998. It has around 1800 hrs. on it and the only problem so far is I had to replace the cold start sensor a couple weeks ago. It has been a good little tractor and more power than one would think. I have pulled a 5x5 baler a lot in level ground. The AC will give you sinus problems it is so cold if not careful. It will pto-dyno 53hp with a little tinkering and have never had a heating issue as JD has and overbuilt cooling system on them.

naml.jpg

I've got a JD 5310. Bought it earlier this year and love it. Mine is open station. I've moved 300 round bales and mowed a little over 100 acres so far. Sure beats the old Ford 601 Workmaster I was using.

Even with a block heater, if the temp is in the 20s you might want to consider one of the magnetic heaters for the transmission.. Makes it start a lot better and it's easier on the battery. Those open center tractos put a lot of drag on the engine when the fluids are cold and you're trying to start them. If it's cold, before you drive it after starting you should consider turning on the PTO for a few minutes to get the fluids warm so the hydraulics work smoother.

i just got this unit sat after the massey burned...but
when you arent moving forward....like if you push in the clutch to slow down it almost seems as if the brakes are hanging up. it kinda slows pretty fast...but it rolls very easy soon as the clutch is out..it will idle along even to load it on the trlr. did it almst at idle so i dont thing it is the brakes sticking...but something feels as tho its dragging. it has some huge golf course turf tires on it so it might just be the tires keeping it from rolling so easy.

anyone else feel this on thiers?

man i wish mine had a cab..thats sweet. it does have a 541 self leveling loader tho.

it never gets cold enuff in fl to need a blk htr for it..

One of the most important thing with these tractors is putting the right Hydraulic fluid in them. I only use John Deere Hy-gard in mine. The wrong oil and the brakes will come apart and it has to be tore down, the whole system flushed and new brakes (very expensive.) I have heard and seen this several times.

well its an ex golf course unit so it was serviced at jd dealer..dont mean some dope didnt put the wrong stuff in inbetween servicings but it should have the right stuff...all the oils alook brand new..antifreeze is like new too. even after i buy rims and tires i think i did ok for 10k...

dieselbeef":35mi50xe said:
well its an ex golf course unit so it was serviced at jd dealer..dont mean some dope didnt put the wrong stuff in inbetween servicings but it should have the right stuff...all the oils alook brand new..antifreeze is like new too. even after i buy rims and tires i think i did ok for 10k...

Don't know if you said how many hours but I'd still say $10K was a bargain. I gave considerably more than that minus a canopy. My 5310 only had 270 hours and serial showed it to be a 2000. I gave at the upper limit on mine but the one owner and that few hours demanded a premium in my eyes. I never find a bargain!

you need to sell those rear rims an tires an get R1 ag tires an rims.an you may need to change the front rims an tires.

I have 2000 JD 5210 and I love it! It has about 2000 hours on it. I just put 2 brand new rear tires and a new seat on it. It's 2wd and has a 521 loader. I've cut, baled, and moved more hay with this tractor than I care to think about. I normally do about 500 rolls a year and the 5210 does the majority of the work. I have a 8' Vicon disc mower and a Vermeer Rebel baler. The 5210 handles both of these just fine. Enjoy your new tractor! I second the opinion that you need to get some AG tires and rims.

Your 5210 looks good - you'll enjoy it. We have a 5420 (had it going on 2 years now) that looked just about that like when we got it. It came from a big military cemetery, and had only been used to run a finish mower. It had low hours, and was very well taken care of. We had the tires swapped when we bought it from the JD dealer it had been traded at, but a local tire dealer got the tires and wheels quite a bit cheaper than the JD dealer could. We had to buy tires and wheels for the rear, and they'd originally planned to put 7.50 x 16's on the front, but I asked for the biggest possible (practical) front tires (for flotation w/ the loader), and we ended up with 10.50 x 15's that fit the factory front wheels - I think about the same width, but much taller than the turf tires. You might want to look in to that - saved us a couple hundred bucks and got bigger tires, too.

probly just do the rears for now. i have dealt with tucker in the past..good deals thee

thanks for the input..at least nobody said they suck! lol...

tires and a seat..maybe wait for the flywheelers antique tractor show..but soon

Gary, Implement tires work real good on the front of a 2WD tractor. Implement tires aren't great for row cropping but they won't tear up the grass when your turning. And they don't throw up water like a truck tire will. I see tractor tires at the Rebel and Weeks equipment auction all the time. If your not in a hurry for tires let me know and I will keep a eye out for you.

Before putting larger tires on it, check with JD and find out what the biggest tires are for that tractor and that loader configuration. When I got my 5093E it had the biggest tires that are for that model but the loader bucket when level wouldn;t reach all the way to the ground. Ended up putting a different loader on it and that fixed the problem. It was just one of those deals that you don;t think about until it bites your butt.

Latest posts