Got Hounds ?

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
They are itching to run again. Everytime they see my truck with the dogbox on it they think its time to go to work.
stinkys11_006_zps6d6fc1e3.jpg

stinkys11_005_zpse76cf9f2.jpg

I haven't coon hunted since I was a kid. I had a few Blueticks that I raised. I miss the sound of baying hounds late at night.

I have a couple blueticks I love how there voice sounds and smelling ability. I miss the sound of the coon hounds baying at night too weathers been so crappy with snow and rain almost daily I haven't been but a few times. Most of the dogs in the pictures are my Deer Hounds.

I had a black and tan. Ole' Drum would stay on the tree forever. Longest I ever left him, he was 1/4 mile south of the house. Left him for 36 hours, finally felt bad and went down and shot the coon out. Him and King would always run loose, never tied them up.'
They would be chasing rabbits around the house, I'd put them in the truck, go squirrl hunting, and they would never hit on a rabbit. Never ran a deer either.
Got on a bobcat once, chased him for miles. He would tree, then jump out before I got there. Except for the last time. Loved my coon hounds. Never could have another like them, so I just quit having them. gs

I haven't heard of a deer hound. is it a different breed from a coon hound?
I've had the pleasure of owning 2 coon hounds. One was a walker when I was a kid and the other was a blue tick when our kids were little.
They were great dogs but bad hunters. That's how I ended up with them.
Love hounds. You are lucky.

chippie":2azsx2x6 said:
I haven't heard of a deer hound. is it a different breed from a coon hound?
I've had the pleasure of owning 2 coon hounds. One was a walker when I was a kid and the other was a blue tick when our kids were little.
They were great dogs but bad hunters. That's how I ended up with them.
Love hounds. You are lucky.

Chippie
here in Va. we use dogs to chase out deer to hunt them during the general firearms season because there is alot of thick stuff and thats the best way to get them out to thin the population. These dogs are exclusive to run deer only however if they get on a fox it has the same basic scent and they will run it till the foxes feet swell up lol I have 23 deer dogs which are walker hounds and i have some cur deer dogs and 5 coon dogs which are black and tans and blueticks which only run and tree coons.

heath they do have just a couple hounds lol

Boy, you really do need the dogs. That is different how most people hunt here. Many have a deer stand and feeder. They start feeding corn before the season to get the deer coming up. Then they sit in the stand and wait for the deer.

It is so open here, my husband can shoot one off of our front porch.

We also do still hunt with stands here during bow and black powder but general firearms most everyone uses dogs. It is illegal here to feed deer after sep 1 because baiting here is illegal lol Really? its thick stuff here not as thick as some other regions of the country. I think its neat to see how different states have different rules and hunting methods. I wish I could shoot one off the front porch lol

chippie":2yyyp7te said:
Boy, you really do need the dogs. That is different how most people hunt here. Many have a deer stand and feeder. They start feeding corn before the season to get the deer coming up. Then they sit in the stand and wait for the deer.

It is so open here, my husband can shoot one off of our front porch.

Chippie deer hunting with dog's was a way of life in East Texas until the 80's
""From the Houston Chronicle.
Hunting deer by using dogs to course the animals has been illegal in Texas since 1990, when the Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission banned the method in the final two dozen East Texas counties in which it had been allowed.

No one expected running deer with dogs to immediately cease.

Deer hunting with dogs — using hounds to strike a deer's trail, then chase it toward hunters stationed throughout the woods who would try to shoot the deer as it raced past — was a deeply ingrained and tightly held tradition in East Texas.

Generations of East Texans had hunted deer with dogs, depending on the howling canines to roust deer from the region's thickets.

For all of those people to walk away from the practice was a bit much to ask.

Some deer-dog-running East Texans, being Texans, didn't care for The Government trying to dictate their behavior."

This caused some serious stuff in my part of the world from house's to forrest being burned, that is just the tip of the iceberg.

Caustic yea i think in a previous forum I told that they changed the law that states a hunter can retrieve his dogs from posted land and won't be charged trespassing thats how big it is here. It also is alot of money in it as well. we are getting ready to have a dog trial in 2 weeks that costs 20 per dog you enter into the trial will probably have 400-500 dogs in it to make money for the hunt club as a fund raiser we do that 4 times a year.

CB, only in skyhightree1's end of the state is the hounds legal. In my part of the state im not sure it ever was. But we have more open woodland here. Still illegal to feed anything after Sept 1.

I forgot about that kenny keep me straight lol kenny is right but for the coonhounds its legal on his side of the state as well as mine.

Dogs and Cows.. Dogs are big business here for fox trials and deer hunting. They even changed the trespass laws to work around people with hounds here lol Yea, If you run walkers you better have alot of big pieces of land. I tell you what I love the way 10-15 beagles sound going through the woods running. If I ever get rid of big dogs im gonna get beagles.

Guy's around here run fox in a high fence. Never been to see how it's done but I do know they try not to kill the foxes. Had some dog problems a few weeks ago. We have rights as property owners to keep dogs off our land, at least in GA. Never seen a dog on our property that wasn't chasing my cows, or at least trying to. People need to respect other peoples land. And our DA feels the same way.

Here dogs have roaming rights as long as they have collars and tags on it. Which means unless its chasing livestock or gonna harm you you better not kill it or you will be under the jail. Here if my dog was on someones lands that was posted I cant drive on the land without landowner permission nor carry a gun but i can walk anywhere I want to retrieve my dogs. There is alot of big money people here that are into dogs and got that pushed through. High yea they do the same here in the fox pens the goal isnt to kill the foxes its to see whos dog runs it better and different judges score them and total points up at the end to get the winner.

skyhightree1":2zgdq1vu said:
Here dogs have roaming rights as long as they have collars and tags on it. Which means unless its chasing livestock or gonna harm you you better not kill it or you will be under the jail. Here if my dog was on someones lands that was posted I cant drive on the land without landowner permission nor carry a gun but i can walk anywhere I want to retrieve my dogs. There is alot of big money people here that are into dogs and got that pushed through. High yea they do the same here in the fox pens the goal isnt to kill the foxes its to see whos dog runs it better and different judges score them and total points up at the end to get the winner.

That was the way it was in 13 counties of Texas for over a century.
That is like the old movie Gone with the Wind now.
You don't have the right to do anything in Texas on anybodies land but your own.
Get caught tresspassing with a gun is go straight to jail. So don't giggle too hard.
People acting like a bunch of hillbillies tramping all over's people's land virtually killed dog hunting here.
If yall don't keep each other in check people will get sick enough of you running through their places tearing up fence's etc.
and you will be sitting at the house talking about the good ole day's.

Latest posts