Got him up

Help Support CattleToday:

Rosielou

Reaction score
Well today I got that big bull calf that I have been trying to get up for about a month. :) He wouldn't come up as usual, so I went out and walked him up slowly. Took a while, but he was very calm. I will post pictures of him when I get home because I'm currently on my phone. :banana:

Here he is in the pasture. Very gentle and easy to work. Will be loading him later.
tumblr_n96hhsrCyY1rdftrko1_1280800x598_zps20015a3d.jpg

tumblr_n96hhsrCyY1rdftrko3_500500x373_zps06aea511.jpg

Rosielou":l9ox4r0v said:
Well today I got that big bull calf that I have been trying to get up for about a month. :) He wouldn't come up as usual, so I went out and walked him up slowly. Took a while, but he was very calm. I will post pictures of him when I get home because I'm currently on my phone. :banana:

Good for you! Hope he brings well.

fitz

Thanks all, we took him to the sale earlier. Will report tomorrow how much he brings. I'm hoping he does well. :) He was my 2nd favorite bull calf of this calving season.

dryfork2":1cmw2lsq said:
Must have a real mama. looks big.
This is the best picture I have of his momma. She was around 2 in the picture I believe. This bull calf is her 3rd calf, now though.
2012-05-30001015.jpg

Glad you got him up and hope he does well. Small calves brought over $4.00 a pound here in Middle GA today. I sold my eight six months old calves today. They averaged over $1100 each. Wish I had more. I have angus and simangus. First simangus I have sold and was well pleased.
Your calf looks good and I know you will be pleased with what he brings. Looks like prices are up this week. Guess it is good that we waited. I could not get mine up last week. Good luck.

Thanks dryfork!
Williamsv":33ne8qiq said:
Glad you got him up and hope he does well. Small calves brought over $4.00 a pound here in Middle GA today. I sold my eight six months old calves today. They averaged over $1100 each. Wish I had more. I have angus and simangus. First simangus I have sold and was well pleased.
Your calf looks good and I know you will be pleased with what he brings. Looks like prices are up this week. Guess it is good that we waited. I could not get mine up last week. Good luck.
Thank you :) Sounds like a pretty nice paycheck! I have sold two others, one 685 lbs and brought $1.976 - $1,352.88 before commission. My other one weighed 540, bought $2.25 - $1,215 before commission. I have about 5 others to sell, so fingers crossed it stays up as long as I have calves to sell. :)

Weighed 760, brought $1.825 per lb. Brought $1387 before commission. Watched a slaughter bull today sell for just about $3500.

Rosielou":2ix96yr4 said:
Weighed 760, brought $1.825 per lb. Brought $1387 before commission. Watched a slaughter bull today sell for just about $3500.

Great prices!!
(My sister sold a slaughter bull in Oct 2011 and he barely brought $900. She was very pleased at the time)

Thanks guys. :tiphat:
And yes, crazy how prices have changed. I was going through my receipts and I found one from 2005 where one of my black steers weighed 370 and brought .94 per lb. Absolutely crazy.

Sold 2 charolais calves at Livingston Tx Saturday before last. 1 heifer-1bull calf. avg 300# and brought $2.40. Should have kept them a little while longer but wanted them off the mommas.

greybeard":3g724afd said:
Sold 2 charolais calves at Livingston Tx Saturday before last. 1 heifer-1bull calf. avg 300# and brought $2.40. Should have kept them a little while longer but wanted them off the mommas.

GB that's still pretty good I will take that $ if you don't want it :D That is the reason I want to get a scale soon so I can tell exactly what weight the calves are I don't want anymore surprises.

skyhightree1":3dr9ndh6 said:
greybeard":3dr9ndh6 said:

GB that's still pretty good I will take that $ if you don't want it :D That is the reason I want to get a scale soon so I can tell exactly what weight the calves are I don't want anymore surprises.

Thought I had taken a pic while they were penned but I guess not--couldn't find them on my hard drive or on the camera. Wife may have deleted them before we left for our trip.
Yep, I had very little in them and made a little $ on these 2 so I'm not complaining. I left $ on the table tho by not having them heavier and in better condition. Should have cut the bull calf back Feb right after it was born, but just didn't get around to it.
They are looking for 4-5 wts here it seems. I didn't stick around to see who bought them.
I'll have a few more in the fall to sell, and depends if the market holds whether I keep any more heifers or not. I'm about 30% understocked for the grass I have but can't depend on it being the case this time next year

greybeard":2hdt2xgp said:
skyhightree1":2hdt2xgp said:
greybeard":2hdt2xgp said:

Thought I had taken a pic while they were penned but I guess not--couldn't find them on my hard drive or on the camera. Wife may have deleted them before we left for our trip.
Yep, I had very little in them and made a little $ on these 2 so I'm not complaining. I left $ on the table tho by not having them heavier and in better condition. Should have cut the bull calf back Feb right after it was born, but just didn't get around to it.
They are looking for 4-5 wts here it seems. I didn't stick around to see who bought them.
I'll have a few more in the fall to sell, and depends if the market holds whether I keep any more heifers or not. I'm about 30% understocked for the grass I have but can't depend on it being the case this time next year

You are right. I tell ya if you hit it right at the mark of 5 you are golden which is why I really need to invest in a scale. 3wt 4wt 5wt no matter what you take you will still make some $ off of them but 5wt is just perfect.

I would still be pretty okay with that profit, greybeard. We are overstocked on hay, so if nothing changes we have plans to buy a few this winter. Hope they go down just enough that I won't have to spend any more money than necessary. I'm keeping 5 heifers this year, so it's not a big deal.

Latest posts