Got a question....

Help Support CattleToday:

rgv4

Reaction score
For all of you that acknowledge health and genetic problems in your cattle, (ie: herd banged out, prolapses, calves born with male and female anatomy, etc.) right here on the world wide web for everyone to see, are you not in the cattle business to make money? Not wanting to sell any cattle to individuals I guess, just through the salebarn?

This is the #1 reason that I don't buy cattle at the salebarns.

Personally, I'm keeping a running list of everyone, (especially Texas folks and close surrounding states that I may have gotten into contact with in the next few months to buy some heifer's from,) that have acknowledged problems so that I don't waste my time calling them. Because I don't need someone else's problems or potential problems.

:) Thanks for the info.

rgv4":3c6qktgb said:
For all of you that acknowledge health and genetic problems in your cattle, (ie: herd banged out, prolapses, calves born with male and female anatomy, etc.) right here on the world wide web for everyone to see, are you not in the cattle business to make money? Not wanting to sell any cattle to individuals I guess, just through the salebarn?

Personally, I'm keeping a running list of everyone, (especially Texas folks and close surrounding states that I may have gotten into contact with in the next few months to buy some heifer's from,) that have acknowledged problems so that I don't waste my time calling them. Because I don't need someone else's problems or potential problems.

We grow our own. Don't have to keep a list.

Wewild":erenn1ch said:
rgv4":erenn1ch said:

We grow our own. Don't have to keep a list.

DITTO, what's the point of bringing in and unknown? unless it's a line or something you really know... keep your own stuff, you know what it will produce like and what to expect then...

your list ain't worth squat! it will just tell who is trying to hide their problems. you will not find a herd anywhere without problems lke us all

jerry27150":1bvoso3y said:
your list ain't worth squat! it will just tell who is trying to hide their problems. you will not find a herd anywhere without problems lke us all

:shock: :oops: :cboy: :idea:

what's the point of bringing in and unknown? unless it's a line or something you really know... keep your own stuff, you know what it will produce like and what to expect then...

There are a lot of succesfull folks that don;t retain any heifers and buy all replacements. There can be several reasons, terminal crossbreeding, or insufficient numbers of replacements being born, expansion, etc., there are even those that feel they can buy a springer or older cow for less then it would cost to raise one.
I'm not picken on you Jake, your post was just the simplist one to edit

dun

rgv4 said:
For all of you that acknowledge health and genetic problems in your cattle, (ie: herd banged out, prolapses, calves born with male and female anatomy, etc.) right here on the world wide web for everyone to see, are you not in the cattle business to make money? /quote]

I agree with you about these folks that just tell everbody in the world about there cattle problems....I dont tell anybody about my problems...where you at so I can break em off in YOU!!!! You'd rather not know is what youre saying right????? Deal with me and itll be a surprise.....I promise :D

Wow! :eek: A surprising post. I have yet to meet a farmer or rancher that keeps a perfect herd free of problems. It's the arrogant or ignorant producers that I would shy away from.
The ones that admit the herd's faults...........these are the ppl I WOULD do business with,,,, at least they are open, honest and will offer me animals with open records.

Medic24 wrote
...........these are the ppl I WOULD do business with,,,, at least they are open, honest and will offer me animals with open records.

This is the main reason I have bought several "cull" cows from where I work. Each year they cull out 30 to 50 cows for various reasons. When my budget allows for an addition to the herd, I go through the records with the cattle guy at work, find out the reason for each cow that's leaving. I've picked up a few at reasonable prices that fit my situation. The ones I have gotten were culled for age(over 4yr), hip height and late(for them) calving. They cull for many other reasons as well, but these girls have worked out very well for me. Another local man/acquaintance I have bought from has also been very honest about his herd, I would/will definitely do business with him again.
I don't know of any herd that has never had a problem of any kind.

Katherine

rgv4":h5h2ti97 said:

If you don't have problems with cattle you either don't have any or you have some very dark rose tinted glasses.

rgv4":2rwhds3o said:

What is the point? What are you saying?

I've read multiple posts bashing sale barns and the cattle that are sold there. I guess it is a good thing not everyone shares your opinion. Might be hard for you to sell your cattle there if they did.

I admire those who are trying to learn. I hope they keep it up.

Regarding some of the genetic and health problems. I read many comments on this board about buying cheap cows. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

My 2 cents worth. Not intending to offend anyone, just another perspective.

First of all I was referring to people that say that they have had all the same health problems in their cattle as people who post a question concerning one problem in their herd. (ie: 1 person post about prolapses another person post about some sort of genetic defect and the people that I'm referring to say that they have had prolapses and the same genetic defect and other's in their herd. In other words their herd has had all the problems as opposed to herds with 1 or 2 odd problems in the herd history.)

I wasn't referring to the different people that are asking different questions regarding health problems.

Second of all, I sold all my spring, summer and early fall calves anticipating the border opening and the possiblity of the market dropping, then two weeks ago, I ended up getting another 1100 acres that I am looking to put cattle on.

Third of all, I never keep replacement commercial heifers because until two weeks ago I was at max on the commerical cattle. Plus, when I do replace I like to bring in new genetics into the herd.

Most of the grown cattle that I sell go to individuals or straight to slaughter not through the salebarn. The only ones that go through the salebarns are the calves, sometimes straight to the feedlots.

I have to agree with a previous post.. I can't imagine anyone in the cattle business who has NOT had some sort of health problem. I don't think you're very realistic if you are anticipating buying from a rancher that's never had any problems.

Have you thought that maybe the health problems or genetic issues were corrected by culling the animals in question, as well as their progeny?

rgv4":3unlwehd said:
First of all I was referring to people that say that they have had all the same health problems in their cattle as people who post a question concerning one problem in their herd. (ie: 1 person post about prolapses another person post about some sort of genetic defect and the people that I'm referring to say that they have had prolapses and the same genetic defect and other's in their herd. In other words their herd has had all the problems as opposed to herds with 1 or 2 odd problems in the herd history.)

I wasn't referring to the different people that are asking different questions regarding health problems.

Just a thought--but some folks on the board have accumulated MANY MANY years of experience and have a lot of help and information to offer. I don't think that by sharing their experience they should be faulted as having "problem herds" Granted we are not all vets, never forget that fact, but the more time and experince one has, the more diverse situations they have been exposed to. So just because "JOERANCHER10-4" has offered advice on his dealings (both personal and those of other producers he knows) with prolalpse, disease, malnutrition, calving problems, etc. lets not forget that he is a resource of a lot more experience than a large part this online community. Just suggesting that we don't insult grandpa for knowing more than we do by suggesting that he has a mutated herd. Did I mention that we aren't all vets? If you are concerned about purchasing shotty cattle, and you can't trust the experience of your e-buddies, ask your vet for help.

That said, I would not purchase from a producer that has a lot "issues" but I also don't expect to know that by their communications on a Q & A forum.

Well, the part of the post remarking about calves born with male/female anatomy sure made me scratch my head, as having a freemartin born in a set of twins sure doesn't seem like a slight on a breeding program.

Maybe it's just my limited understanding, but that's certainly not uncommon in a set of twins with opposite sex calves...not a reflection of poor genetics in a cattle herd.

Take care.

vafarmgals post on this same board got me to wondering if its possible to get the scours from somebodys post here. enough stink stirring with this original question to about gave somebody a case of the runoffs.

Rgv4,

I think you should re-read Fellers message! Remember,.."you" are the guy on the board learning from the experience of the others. So make yourself a list of people with this experience and use them for help. Never burn your bridges! If you find somebody with a problem free herd, then get what you can, and call him back in a couple of years and see if he is still "problem free", or see if he just shucks his problems quietly. (to guys like you that he convinced his cattle would be problem free)
Also see if the cattle you bought there are problem free in a couple of years, or you just shuck them quietly.

fellers":ccr6wks2 said:
Just a thought--but some folks on the board have accumulated MANY MANY years of experience and have a lot of help and information to offer.

rgv4":ccr6wks2 said:
That said, I would not purchase from a producer that has a lot "issues" but I also don't expect to know that by their communications on a Q & A forum.

I wouldn't knowingly do this either, but don't rule the out experience of people who may run more cattle then you will ever have in a lifetime, and have been in the business longer than you are old! I think most people on this board would acknowledge that those things are not desirable, and that they don't want them to happen in there herds, nor do they care to import them, but they don't boast about being such a "wise" buyer like yourself either. Maybe some of this is just 3rd party experience that people on this board relay. So take what you see on the boards with a grain of salt. Heck, I may even be the exception you are looking for in good cattle, but put me on your list anyway.... :p

never forget that fact, but the more time and experince one has, the more diverse situations they have been exposed to

How true this is. I once was an idealist too.

I never thought when I bought my first NEW vehicle that I would EVER have to change a tire. ( changed 14 of em in 6 years )

When I bought my next NEW vehicle I never anticipated that my starter would fall out on the highway.

My third truck ate electronic ignitions like candy.

I was still thinking the "idealist" way with my cows. I really thought if I bought them from "trouble -free" herds, that it would be smooth sailing.

Ha~!
One cow got warts, another stepped on a sharp rock and went lame, one of my cows didn't adjust to our new-much colder environment the first winter we moved here and aborted her calf. Another cow got pinkeye from thorn bushes that weren't bush hogged. Then last year one cow had twins..... ( I can hear Jeanne screaming her mantra already-I HATE TWINS~!! )

When you raise a number of cattle in a changing environment--stuff happens. Knock on wood, I have not had any horrible major diseases, etc. Just big coyotes and lots of unusual photos.

And I am SO thankful to have finally found a good bunch of chatty cattle folks who are as passionate about their animals as I am.

The more we discuss our issues and differences--the more prepared the rest of us are to be able to identify what might be causing problems in our herds. We are all eager students for each other.

Did you see all the weird prolapses, mummy and dead calf photos I posted in January ? Those were not my cows---but those are the kind of issues I saw in several local herds last year. Because of the comments of the foks on this board, one ancient farmer is FINALLY giving his cattle the appropriate amount of salt to prevent further prolapses.

I agree with the others--I would rather purchase/lease cows from someone who tells me what issues there might be in his herd.
I never trust anyone who says they have NO issues in their herd, and been raising cattle for 30 years. Thats a BIG red flag.
"If it seems to good to be true--it usually is."

Welcome to the boards.

rgv4":1eoyvemb said:
For all of you that acknowledge health and genetic problems in your cattle,

What is interesting is that rgva, was even on the health & nutrition board to begin with... :shock:

Hello all. My husband told me once that buying your heifers from the sale barn means your buying someone elses 2nd best heifers....every year we keep 15-40 of our own...depending on how many we have....I enjoy raising my own animals....

I have a question for anyone who can answer...last year I tried raising bucket calves...(started buying them to put on the cows that lost calves, bought too many and got stuck with um)...they all got sick at one point and never really recovered....needless to say 2 out of 6 are getting raised for butcher cause they didnt fit the herd...anyone have any advise on how to raise a better bottle fed...the only tip I know is to keep them on green grass like everything else.

:?:

i'd like to say our herd is perfect.....but that would be a lie.....now we have some great cows, good bulls, pretty decent genetics but you know where our herd got into trouble....buying "one hit wonders" from the sale barn...boughten cows are just a band aid..thats what I think.

Latest posts