Gooseneck towing with Short Bed Truck

Help Support CattleToday:

jhambley

Reaction score
I can get a very good deal on a new 2500 Silverado Crew Cab with a Duramax. My question is, since it is a short bed, will I have problems with a goose neck trailer. I've always had long beds and don't want to make a mistake on a purchase this big.

Anyone else pulling a goose neck with a short bed that can provide first hand feedback?

Thanks in advance.

jhambley":m2zn92wl said:
I can get a very good deal on a new 2500 Silverado Crew Cab with a Duramax. My question is, since it is a short bed, will I have problems with a goose neck trailer. I've always had long beds and don't want to make a mistake on a purchase this big.

Anyone else pulling a goose neck with a short bed that can provide first hand feedback?

Thanks in advance.

You will be fine.

It's a 6.5' box.

Regular Cab LB = 133" wheelbase
Crew Cab SB = 153" wheelbase
Crew Cab LB = 167" wheelbase

it will work just fine you just have to keep an eye on hard turns and backing andcuting itreal hard due to the nose of the trailer being closer to the cab. but b&w makes a short bed exstender for puting the ball back about 6" check thier web site to see it :) good luck with want ever you do :cboy:

lilbitfarm":36ht6fjj said:
it will work just fine you just have to keep an eye on hard turns and backing andcuting itreal hard due to the nose of the trailer being closer to the cab. but b&w makes a short bed exstender for puting the ball back about 6" check thier web site to see it :) good luck with want ever you do :cboy:

I fully agree with (quote)...it will work just fine you just have to keep an eye on hard turns and backing andcuting itreal hard due to the nose of the trailer being closer to the cab.

But I wouldn't want the ball 6" back, that will put to much weight on the back axel, and actualy will lift the front some.

jhambley,

I have a 2003 2500HD with the Duramax and the Allison auto transmission. I pull two gooseneck trailers (aluminum stock trailer and a steel flatbed trailer). I have no problems. I have the B&W hitch mounted in the frame rails under the bed, only the ball and the saftey chain tiedowns sticks up thru the floor. I believe the correct mounting position for the gooseneck ball is 4" in front of the center of the rear axle.

Guys unless I am wrong the short wheel base vs long wheel base trucks all have the same distance from the rear axle to the rear bumper. The difference in the length of the truck is between the axles, not behind the rear axle.

Thanks for all your input. I just found out the short box I was considering has been sold...but they are offering a long box for $1,000 more.

Are you happy with your Duramax? I driven all the three makes and the Chevy seemed to ride the smoothest when empty.

The Dodge would be my second choice but the Allison 6 speed in the Chevy seemed to be better matched.

The Ford had pieces literally falling off in my wifes' hand before I even started my test drive. Not sure I want to take my chances with the 6.0 diesel either. It did seem to have the heaviest sheet metal, tail gate etc.

There are a lot of guys here on the boards who swear by the Fords and Dodges, but based on my experience with my Duramax, I do not believe I could be happier. No problems what so ever. I like the quiteness of the duramax engine and the performance when combined with the allison auto transmission with the trailering mode. We have a long 2 mile steep grade on the interstate a few miles from here. I have the transmission in the trailering mode while pulling about 9000 pounds and the cruise set on 65mph. when I reach the top of the hill I am running 65mph, the engine is turning 2k rpm and the transmission does not have to downshift on the hill.

I will buy another duramax, allison auto tranny when it comes time to buy another truck.

jhambley":q8265g3f said:
I can get a very good deal on a new 2500 Silverado Crew Cab with a Duramax. My question is, since it is a short bed, will I have problems with a goose neck trailer.

It depends on how long your goose neck is. We have a short-bed (wheelbase) Ford Western Hauler that we use to pull a 35' flatbed and a 32' stock trailer, and the combination of short-bed + long trailer presents some issues when cornering/backing that would not be present with a long bed (wheelbase) truck.

Thank you for all your replies. I bought a Dodge 3500 with a long box. The best deal I could work on a Chevy was much more expensive than the Dodge. I was able to buy a fully loaded Dodge 3500 for 32K.

Latest posts