Good video on pinkeye

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent":379gsqlc said:
RiverHills":379gsqlc said:
What type off dart gun do you use?

I have a 176B Pneu-Dart air pump-up.
My bad, as mine is a 178B and it works great as USA says. I did miss with a 5cc dart full of Draxxin once and I was not happy.

First post. :tiphat: Have to jump in on this one. I'm in the west central part of Kansas and pink eye is terrible here this year. According to me veterinarian, it's a wide spread problem. I used an autogenous vaccine, Long Range and fly tags. I've kept out a custom mixed mineral and the cows have consumed 3.5 ounces a day. 150 lbs every 10 days. I'm on my 4th bottle of Draxxin and have lost count of the darts. I have a PneuDart air rifle and it's been an eye-saver. 34 pairs here at the house and they've had it bad too. I've been able to bring them in and use the chute so it's been LA300 or ResflorGold for them. I visited with the feed mill that mixes my mineral and we've upped the Vitamin A. Our summer has been hot and awful humid and really expensive. :bang:

:welcome: To the Boards. My question to all is do the darts not start making the cows more skittish? Always moving away from you when your checking, etc..

cattle60":3scjtv26 said:
:welcome: To the Boards. My question to all is do the darts not start making the cows more skittish? Always moving away from you when your checking, etc..
A shot makes me skittish, but I have to get em. I have seen no long term issues from darting. Give them a bucket of feed and they forget about the dart real quick.

Chocolate Cow":13ann9ku said:
First post. :tiphat: Have to jump in on this one. I'm in the west central part of Kansas and pink eye is terrible here this year. According to me veterinarian, it's a wide spread problem. I used an autogenous vaccine, Long Range and fly tags. I've kept out a custom mixed mineral and the cows have consumed 3.5 ounces a day. 150 lbs every 10 days. I'm on my 4th bottle of Draxxin and have lost count of the darts. I have a PneuDart air rifle and it's been an eye-saver. 34 pairs here at the house and they've had it bad too. I've been able to bring them in and use the chute so it's been LA300 or ResflorGold for them. I visited with the feed mill that mixes my mineral and we've upped the Vitamin A. Our summer has been hot and awful humid and really expensive. :bang:

Welcome fellow Kansan! And please keep the pinkeye west - knock wood, not a single case so far :) Best of luck.

Thanks for the welcome! TC-I will do my best to keep all the pink eye I have as I'd really hate to share all this fun :lol:
The darting does make the cows a little nervous. I try to space out the treatments. I'll go through them and check. No moving them, nothing disruptive. I'll write down numbers of ones to watch or that need attention. In a day or so, I'll come back in and find those numbers and dart them, then leave them alone for a few days. I told my vet I feel like a drug addict..turn the bottle of Draxxin over so every little drop drains into the stopper, then ever so slowly draw out the needle in hopes of capturing that last tiny bit.

Latest posts