Good video on pinkeye

Help Support CattleToday:

Might be a good presentation but she's painful to listen to talk

dun":d9zoi4fl said:
Might be a good presentation but she's painful to listen to talk

I actually went to that field day last year. All of the presenters were knowledgeable, but didn't seem like public speaking was their favorite.

She's my friend and colleague, but we don't agree on everything. I'm not convinced that vaccination works all that well.

Had a discussion, yesterday, with an old friend who's in veterinary practice down in southern middle TN. Has a client with stocker calves that have had a round of 20/20Vision7, followed by 2 rounds of vaccination with an autogenous bacterin containing 3 strains of M.bovis and 7 strains of M.bovoculi. Still having major problems with pinkeye in 500+ pounders.
400 pounders and cow-calf herd across the fencelines from the bigger calves... no problems.
I don't know how you could have a 'better' vaccination protocol... but this one sure isn't working.

I had a seriously bad round of it last summer. I read about everything out there on it. Even scholarly articles, are kinda here and there on the subject. 1st hand experience here-------Vacinations are a waste, la 300 is slow, draxxin dries it up.

I attribute it to a scratch on the eye. May not be the case, but that's what I've got in my head. My mineral has copper and selenium. If it's soluable or not, idk. Local place mixes it for me. I never could isolate where mine picking up scratches. May have been fescue stems, may have been something that's seasonal they were going after-----honey suckle on a pasture change, maybe some Johnson grass that got too tall. I really don't know. It left as quick as it came. I had over 50 eyes to treat.

Very good video. Used the vaccines for 3 years. Had the worst outbreaks of pinkeye ever in those same 3 years. One year I treated and patched at least 1/4 of the entire herd for pinkeye. Quit using the vaccine, focused on providing Se-90 salt and chelated-copper mineral and my pinkeye has all but disappeared. I will treat one calf in the morning, but that will be the first case I've had in 2 years. Only had about 3 cases total in the last 5 years.

Bigfoot":ymykt00f said:
I had a seriously bad round of it last summer. I read about everything out there on it. Even scholarly articles, are kinda here and there on the subject. 1st hand experience here-------Vacinations are a waste, la 300 is slow, draxxin dries it up.

I attribute it to a scratch on the eye. May not be the case, but that's what I've got in my head. My mineral has copper and selenium. If it's soluable or not, idk. Local place mixes it for me. I never could isolate where mine picking up scratches. May have been fescue stems, may have been something that's seasonal they were going after-----honey suckle on a pasture change, maybe some Johnson grass that got too tall. I really don't know. It left as quick as it came. I had over 50 eyes to treat.
The year we had the worst outbreak of pinkeye we've ever had wasn;t really pink eye. It was ulcerated eyeballs from clipping the tall stems too high. A lot of it did turn into real pinkeye but I think that was because the eyes were so weepy that it attracted ore flies than normal. Just a theory. The next year we had a little bit of pinkeye and treated for it. The following year we vaccinated for it and have every year since. Haven;t had (knock on wood) any since. A neighbor uses the generic pinkeye vaccine from the feedstore, he always compalins about how useless it is. We use a quality product that we have to get from the vet. We have confidence in our vet and use the same vaccines that he uses in his own herd. Don;t figure he would be doing something if it wasn;t doing any good. As an aside, he didn;t used to vaccinate for pinkeye either, like most of us. He had a bad year of it and started the same time we did. He hasn;t had any since either.

Bigfoot":i3foqhqf said:

From my experience that is what it does also. It seems the quicker you give them a shot thou the faster and better it works. Let it drag on a few days until the eye looks awful and the Draxxin is a slow go working. Good video. Thanks for posting.

Another thing I have tried is putting bout 25 gallon of water in my mist blower and every few days go by the cattle laying in the shade and cover them up with 10% Permethrin spray and the area they lay in. If you spray over them were it will land on em and not straight at em they don't mind. It sure puts a hurting on the flies and covers the cattle up. Usually when flies are bad I have the spray on the tractor going around fence rows and slicking the fields off with Herbicides.

7y6QLSZ.jpg

Good video Bigfoot ,fought it once long time ago what i found cows will stick there head right into multiflora bush just to get a single fly off.or any bush . even rub them selves aginst a barn to get horse fly off,and if it warm enough for a fly even in winter on warm days and a neighbor has pink eye you stand a chance of getting it some of us have a lot thing around the farm or ranch that will damage there eyes. that we dont think about on a day to day basis. keep plenty of mineral on them found it in combination with fly controll helped me evade the next round the neighbors got i was lucky caught it the first time when it started only few got it had one nice cow with spot remaning only had to treat 4 or 5 we jumped on as soon as we saw the first one she was kinda a loner cow stayed with heard but kept her distance she had good dispisition but tended to stay to herself droped a real nice calf .draxxin

Bigfoot":1zvnn5eu said:

Bigfoot, I remember your pinkeye issue last year. There was a huge epidemic here at that time. Darin Stanfield, DVM, cultured the strains here and discovered 3 strains of an aggressive Moraxella bovis.

I had several cases last year. He treated the first case and I took it from there. I used oxytetracycline, LA 300. Worked fine. Have to be patient, takes about 4 to 5 days to see significant improvement but in 2 days you see the eye more relaxed, i.e., not squinting.

As I have posted, I am a believer in the abrasion theory. I don't have any plans to vaccinate unless I were to use the custom made vaccine prepared for Darin Stanfield that is tailored for this area.

I have used Vitaferm kelated mineral for two years. I am sure a good mineral helps. Vitaferm is top of the line.

Good video, having some issues with pinkeye this year and I have done everything I can think of. My control is great, between Ricochet FesQ Max CTC-Alt Mineral, Long Range wormer and Vet Gun my flies stay off. Clipped pastures in June. Still have had some Pinkeye. Been darting with Draxxin and clears it right up. Have thought about vaccinating for it, but everyone in my area for the most part is firmly against it. Thanks for sharing the video, very informative.

Also do you all swear by ear tags? Do they help a lot with face flies. I have no problems controlling Horn Flies but I do have some face flies. Thanks

RiverHills":1r2363pf said:
I have been looking into getting the medi-dart crossbow for treating pinkeye any thoughts?

I like the idea of the crossbow. I get the occasional misfire with co2. It's always when the cartridge is running out.

RiverHills":1gp82uwl said:
What type off dart gun do you use?

Pneu Dart Gun 178B, it is a pump action air dart gun. I have hit cows up to 10 yards away with 10cc darts. You could easily hit them from further away but when you have $50 worth of Draxxin in the dart, I tend to not want to miss. Never had a misfire either. Shoots dead on. It's been a lifesaver instead of having to catch every cow that gets pink eye and foot rot. Heavy duty built gun as well. Solid wood and metal. Darts are easy to use as well.

Latest posts