good news for canadians

Help Support CattleToday:

frenchie

Reaction score
US-Canada Border Breakthrough Announced

CBC.ca

WASHINGTON, D.C. - Young live cattle from Canada will be allowed across the border into the United States beginning March 7, marking a significant break in the BSE crisis that began 19 months ago.

The rule change, which officials with the U.S. Department of Agriculture announced Wednesday, basically recognizes Canada as a minimal-risk region for BSE.

It also allows expanded U.S. imports of a wider variety of cuts of beef from Canada.

The proposal means Canada can resume shipping live cattle under 30 months old to the United States.

Imports of Canadian cattle have been banned since May 2003 after a single case of BSE showed up.

The outgoing U.S. Secretary of Agriculture, Ann Veneman, said the rules will be relaxed slightly in March in part because of measures taken in Canada to prevent the spread of the disease.

Permission to move Canadian cattle again comes with a set of strict rules.

Tom Walsh, a lawyer with the U.S. Department of Agriculture, said live Canadian cattle must be sent to the U.S. in sealed containers and no breeding cattle will be allowed across the border.

Once they reach the U.S., cows will not be allowed to move between feed lots and they must be slaughtered before the age of 30 months.

"USDA is confident that the animal and public health measures Canada has in place to prevent BSE, combined with existing U.S. domestic safeguards and additional safeguards...will provide the utmost protection to U.S. consumers and livestock," Walsh said.

Walsh predicted American feedlots will import a total of two million cattle by this time next year.

For more News Headlines and Commodity Quotes, please visit http://www.teamauctionsales.com.

I think that's awesome news. However, we've heard this before and though I'm cautiously optimistic, I'll believe it when I see the first Canadian cattle cross the border.

ollie

Well, yes you did. Unfortunately there is another drugged out, milked out, fed who knows what dairy cow on the near horizon - read below:

Canadian Food Inspection Agency
News Release

NATIONAL BSE SURVEILLANCE PROGRAM DETECTS SUSPECT ANIMAL
OTTAWA, December 30, 2004 - Preliminary BSE testing results completed late on December 29, 2004 have identified a suspect 10-year-old dairy cow. Although the finding is not definitive, multiple screening tests have yielded positive results.

No part of the animal entered the human food or animal feed systems. Samples are currently being analyzed at the Canadian Science Centre for Human and Animal Health in Winnipeg. Confirmatory results are expected in three to five days.

The Government of Canada's normal policy is to report only confirmed results. However, given the unique situation created by the United States' border announcement on December 29 it was decided that the most prudent action would be to publicly announce the available information and provide stakeholders with a full understanding of the current situation.

Since confirming BSE in Canada in 2003, CFIA officials have stated that finding more cases in North America was possible. Canada's public health measures have been built on this assumption. As a result, the confirmation of a new case of BSE would not indicate increased risk to food safety as Canada requires the removal of specified risk material (SRM) from all animals entering the human food supply. SRM are tissues that, in infected cattle, contain the BSE agent. This measure is internationally recognized as the most effective means of protecting public health from BSE.

The suspect animal was detected through the national surveillance program, implemented in co-operation with the provinces and the animal health community. Testing was conducted after the animal was identified as a downer, one of the high-risk categories targeted by the surveillance program. To date, more than 21,000 animals have been tested this year.

Similar to the two North American BSE-infected animals detected in 2003, this animal was born before the Canadian and American feed bans were introduced in 1997. If BSE is confirmed in this case, consumption of contaminated feed before 1997 remains the most likely route of transmission. Evidence collected through investigations and risk analyses continues to indicate that the feed ban has successfully limited BSE spread since being implemented.

U.S. officials have been informed of the suspect case of BSE. This finding should not have a significant or lasting impact on efforts to normalize trade. In negotiations with trading partners, including the U.S., Canada has been very open about the prospect of finding more BSE.

The CFIA will hold a technical briefing on December 30, 2004 at 11:00 EST. A media advisory will be issued prior to the briefing with additional information.

ollie - I am so tired of all of this - so as far as I am concerned when it happens it happens. Guess you could say every time us responsible folk get ready to do business there is something that jumps up and tries to kill us.

I have said it before and I will say it again.

Cull cows should never enter the food chain. Especially dairy cows. 95% or more of the dairy owners will not eat their own culls, so why should they expect others to do so?

Kill all culls, render them into dog food and fertilizer, or burn them for energy as in Europe. Period!

But then what do I know, I am neither a politician, scientist, packer or wealthy patron of whatever. I am just a simple person attempting to survive.

Bez

Very well said,Bez

But then what do I know, I am neither a politician, scientist, packer or wealthy patron of whatever. I am just a simple person attempting to survive.

Bez[/quote][/quote]

Bad news Bez. At this point at least I don't think a Cull cow will stop the border being open to the import/export of terminal cattle 30 mo. or younger.

Bez":4dcwb40g said:
Canadian Food Inspection Agency
News Release

NATIONAL BSE SURVEILLANCE PROGRAM DETECTS SUSPECT ANIMAL
OTTAWA, December 30, 2004 - Preliminary BSE testing results completed late on December 29, 2004 have identified a suspect 10-year-old dairy cow. Although the finding is not definitive, multiple screening tests have yielded positive results.

No part of the animal entered the human food or animal feed systems. Samples are currently being analyzed at the Canadian Science Centre for Human and Animal Health in Winnipeg. Confirmatory results are expected in three to five days.

The Government of Canada's normal policy is to report only confirmed results. However, given the unique situation created by the United States' border announcement on December 29 it was decided that the most prudent action would be to publicly announce the available information and provide stakeholders with a full understanding of the current situation.

Since confirming BSE in Canada in 2003, CFIA officials have stated that finding more cases in North America was possible. Canada's public health measures have been built on this assumption. As a result, the confirmation of a new case of BSE would not indicate increased risk to food safety as Canada requires the removal of specified risk material (SRM) from all animals entering the human food supply. SRM are tissues that, in infected cattle, contain the BSE agent. This measure is internationally recognized as the most effective means of protecting public health from BSE.

The suspect animal was detected through the national surveillance program, implemented in co-operation with the provinces and the animal health community. Testing was conducted after the animal was identified as a downer, one of the high-risk categories targeted by the surveillance program. To date, more than 21,000 animals have been tested this year.

Similar to the two North American BSE-infected animals detected in 2003, this animal was born before the Canadian and American feed bans were introduced in 1997. If BSE is confirmed in this case, consumption of contaminated feed before 1997 remains the most likely route of transmission. Evidence collected through investigations and risk analyses continues to indicate that the feed ban has successfully limited BSE spread since being implemented.

U.S. officials have been informed of the suspect case of BSE. This finding should not have a significant or lasting impact on efforts to normalize trade. In negotiations with trading partners, including the U.S., Canada has been very open about the prospect of finding more BSE.

The CFIA will hold a technical briefing on December 30, 2004 at 11:00 EST. A media advisory will be issued prior to the briefing with additional information.

Cull cows should never enter the food chain. Especially dairy cows. 95% or more of the dairy owners will not eat their own culls, so why should they expect others to do so?

Kill all culls, render them into dog food and fertilizer, or burn them for energy as in Europe. Period!

Bez

It never ends, here we go again...........Got to agree about them culls..

ollie

Your comments may very well be true - however:

When I go to the sale barn and see skeletal animals called dairy culls brought in for sale I cringe. If those culls are gone from the face of the earth, then the risk is reduced dramatically.

Here is a copy of a posting from another site that details what happens to a cull cow - all breeds - from a person I have corresponded with - and who is in the beef industry:

How a Cull Cow Is Cut

The fact of the matter is only a portion of a cull cow goes to hamburger. Off the front end the rib eye comes off, the plate, the chuck tender and the shoulder plate. The hind end produces almost no ground beef as they take the tenderloin, the strip,the sirloin tip, the sirloin butt, the flank steaks, both hamsets! All that comes off the hind end, that goes in the hamburger bin is the shank and a bit of the belly.
The various steaks go to cheap steakhouses like Mr. Mikes or Bonanza and a lot of the rest goes to outfits like Subway and other food service type outlets that supply restaurants with beef for things like hot beef sandwiches!
When the carcass is stripped of the cuts, a "wizard knife" is used to get
all the meat close to the bones. This is extremely lean meat and sells at a very high premium!
There really is no distinction between good cows or very poor cows...they all go through the same process.
Never believe that those old cows aren't worth any more than hamburger, because I would doubt that 20% of a cow ever makes it into a hamburger

It would probably be a good idea to keep this info on hand to present to others the next time the cull cow being "ground into burger" conversation comes up.

You and I - and all who read this - now know what the packers get from a cull - and how they get it. In truth I always thought it all went to burger - was I ever mistaken.

Anyone who believes that the old cows are not a potential problem is simply ignoring the obvious. I know that does not include you, or many others on this board. But there are hundreds and thousands out there who will take anything to be killed in the hopes of realizing 50 bucks - and dammed the potential results.

Keep them out of the food chain. Fertilizer, pet food and power generation are the only options I find acceptable.

Here it is in plain language:

1. No beef cull to ever enter the food chain.

2. No dairy cull to ever enter the food chain.

3. Build our own kill plants.

4. Market our own beef.

5. Test 100% of the animals for export.

6. ALL culls to be composted, processed for dog food, burned for energy, or whatever!

7. If the various levels of Canuck government are serious about value added - then - export NO live animals - process them all in Canada - value add to OUR economy NOT other economies.

Yeah, I know ALL the dammed arguments against my beliefs. But I want a friggin fireproof / bombproof industry. This may not provide all the solutions, but it goes further than what we now have.

I think you will be hearing me state this again and again - but that is the way of the future.

Off to sulk in the corner while those in power decide whether or not the border opens. I hope it stays closed until our own initiatives are up and running - I want to compete against you folks south of the border because I honestly think we can kick some serious butt if we get everything up and running - I no longer want to be at your mercy.

Best to all,

Bez

Bez
I had to butcher a good 4yr old sim. last year that had cystic ovaries and would not cycle. Are you saying she should have been ground into fert. or burned :shock: If that is the case we just as well dig a hole and bury them now!! Because us and the cattle would all starve. I would think that a penalty should be built into the mkt to stop people from letting there animals go so far down hill before they mkt them but I do not know what it would be.
your friend
Mike

mwj

Your argument is very persuasive. As I said, I have heard all of the arguments and some of them I agree with whole heartedly.

In Canada I am prepared to state there does need to be compensation - who decides or how it is decided - I do not have an answer.

As for eating your own beef - well, that is THE ONLY WAY.

But if we are to develop a no kidding - bombproof EXPORT market - I stand by my words.

Keep 'em coming - I am more than willing to listen - perhaps there will be a solution that comes from the discussion.

Regards

Bez

Bez
Thanks for the response! I am proud to eat my own but the question to you is, why should a good fat non breeding cow be treated any diferant than a 31 month old steer out of the feed lot. There is no diferance in my opinion since age is your only argument. If you are talking health and body condition I might agree whole heartedly.
your friend
Mike

Mike

A tough one

the question to you is, why should a good fat non breeding cow be treated any diferant than a 31 month old steer out of the feed lot

But when it comes to an export market - the customer is deciding - not me.

I guess most of my opinion comes from watching retired dairy cows go through the sale ring.

Right now, those culls get cut up and go to the Canadians and the U.S. of A. I do not think any other country accepts them. Canucks get fed the same as the U.S. of A. I definitely do not like it. You shouldn't either.

If a dairy guy will not serve this animal to his family - should you and I eat it?

I am prepared to go with health and body condition - but who decides?

If it becomes an issue of someone standing at the gate as they are unloaded - I personally do not want just one person making the decision - it needs to be more - less chance of any monkey business.

I am certainly tired of seeing burned out, half crippled, bone bag Holsteins go through the sale barn and be cut up as culls. Who knows what has been to to them? Who knows with what or how often they have been doctored?

In all honesty you can probably get me to bend on most - not all - beef animals but I stand my ground on the old dairy animals.

So where do we go from here? What I am saying makes a lot of folks in my area quite irate at me. I am an ounumbered guy here - it's a very large dairy area. All I say in return is "Look at that animal. Do you really want to eat THAT?"

In return I would ask if you have ever lived in a dairy area and have watched what gets sold for meat? I will grant you there are some that go through that will be fine - but it has been my experience that the vast majority are pretty well used up before they get sold for the last ride.

Look forward to your reply to this one - it is an issue that I believe is danced around and avoided far too often.

In the end I just want this to be discussed and not avoided. I am no longer such a trusting enough individual that I believe everyone will hold back their sick animals, or render their poorer stock.

Read my sign off and try not to laugh too hard.

Bez

In many cases with dairy animals, "used up" is the proper term. Production, age, lack of breeding back, those all enter into the equation. They have the same with holding time frames as any other cow does when it comes to anti-biotics etc. Yes some sicks cows go through the barns, but that's a buyers issue not a producers. If nobody wants to buy them they wouldn't get sold. As to why the dairyman don;t eat them is pretty simple. How many old cows can they eat in a year- 2 years- 3 years.If they were rendered that is a cost, at leat at the sale barn as butcher/killer cows there is a small monetary return instead of a cost. With the price of milk as volitile as it is, every buck helps.

dun

Hi Dun

It is obvious by your response that your system and our system are very different.

First, the dairy guy in Canada is guaranteed a price for his product. He is protected by a quota system that prevents anyone from competing with him - do not even think of producing milk in Canada without quota. In Ontario it runs around 28,000 bucks for the right to produce one kilo of fat in milk. It is the right to milk somewhere in the vicinity of 1 - 1.5 cows per kilo of quota. You WILL be shut down. And right smartly too. You will have your day in court - plan on spending lots of money AND losing.

If there is a problem with income - as recently happened - the dairy board raises the price of milk and the extra is returned to the farmer. If the farmer needs additional quota due to over production he must buy it - or in some cases additional quota will be awarded to all farmers across the board on a percentage or ratio basis. This quota has a monetary value and can be bought or sold. This awarding of quota took place just this last November if I remember correctly. If you are large enough, your equity just grew by 28K or more - gratis!

As for the dairy guy eating his culls - what you say is true - what I was pointing at is .... You will never see him eat one of those that goes to the sale barn - they are well and truly used up. All the guys I know put a couple in a pen and feed them nothing but the best and kill them at around 15-20 months - so why should we eat them?

If there needs to be a re-imbursement program for the disposal of this animal - then so be it. I just do not think we should be eating them.

There is a cost to rendering - in this area it costs 60 bucks to have the dead wagon haul away a cow and 25 for a calf of any size under 500 pounds. 25 cents for the bullet - I usually supply the bullet and the gun. :D But, they will do that for you as well if you want - no charge.

Buyer beware on withdrawal times is an issue I had not considered - most if not all of these cows go for meat. Immediate cut up - not like the animals going to the feedlot.

In the end, I am still thinking we have a long way to go before we can look in the mirror and say we are even close to where we should be.

Regards

Bez

Bez We agree on a lot of things on this issue!!! I see those dairy cows go thru the barn all the time. The irony is a good thin dairy cow will bring as much or more as my fat nonbreeder :shock: The cow market in my part of the country is very robust, they buy cows with as much or more competition as fats. What about bulls you did not mention them? They will be kept to a fairly old age and are exposed to everything the cows are feed wise. The bad thing about dairy cow condition is genetics, they will milk off every bit of fat into the bucket. They must process huge amounts of feed and that is where my concern is. They are fed lots of concentrate and fat to keep up the milkfat and cheap protien is animal biproducts, they are fed daily over long periods and this may be where trouble starts.Most people have no idea the condition of the cull cattle that go thru the system and think that since they now have to walk things are ok. There has always been a market for culls and cripples and I supose since the profit can be very good, there always will be. You should start this as a seperate new thread on the beg. board so you can get more input, I think this is very interesting subject.
your friend
Mike

Think I live just south of you, Bez. I see the same thing here in our sale barns. The sale starts with many, many holstein dairy cows that I wouldn't eat if I were starving. Most of them have leg and feet problems, some Johnes, some acute mastitis, many BST injection sites. A few "no sale" are "railed" to a local slaughter house. One or two die right in the sale barn every sale. They are not fit for consumption by humans--but they're being eaten by somebody. We are now allowed to compost dead cows on our own farms--doesn't cost a cent. Just cover them. I, too, hoped the border would stay closed, Bez, but politics rules and screw the farmers, ranchers--U.S. or Canadian. The packers care only about their margin of profit.

Old Man

Someday you and I will have to meet at the International Bridge that crosses at Cornwall and have a coffee.

Heck I might even be persuaded to go down to the 1000 Island bridge. :D

Pretty country.

We'll flip a coin and see who buys!

Step on over to "Border" topic and see my comments.

The border will open. It just needs to be a two way street when it comes to commerce. Right now, it is not. Inequities cause problems - plain and simple. If one half of the business "partnership" is at risk it is not a partnership.

Regards

Bez

Sounds good, Bez. TI bridge is 20 minutes, Cornwall is 60 minutes or so. I haven't been to Canadian side in a year or two. Bought two tractors in French speaking area in the last few years. Your farms really impress me--first-class operations. I don't know anything about international economics, but I agree with you that nothing should be one-sided. I use to run foxhounds in the pens and shoot trap at the Kingston club and was always impressed by the Canadians that shared similar interests. They are a great group--good people.

Latest posts