Good looking bull calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Muddy

Reaction score
Out of a commercial Angus cow and a commercial Angus bull, this calf is best looking one in the group. No creep, only on grass and mama's milk.

IMG_20151002_174717272_zpspzf1n6p3.jpg

I think he is a very good calf for his age. What do you think his frame score is? I like him but I like big frame bulls. He may very well be big frame, hard to tell from the picture.

I would have to guessing he's between 550-650lbs because he's so wide. As for the frame, his sire was about 5-6 but the sire was barely 2 years old before he passed away last June unexpectedly due to freaky accident. The calf's dam is pretty much your typical commercial Angus cow so I guessed she's frame 5.

Kingfisher":2r797v4a said:
What do you like about him?
His sire is good calving ease and is safe on heifers. The sire stays in excellent body condition during breeding season and stays fat on poor pasture. So far his calves surely didn't disappointed me as they're well muscled. The calf looks EXACTLY like his sire. Majority of the calves were sired by the other bull and they are a bit hatchet azz & baboon tails. So that's why I believed this calf is better looking one in this group.

What's your definition of a commercial Angus Muddy? If the sire and dam aren't full blood Angus, cut him. He is a nice looking animal.

ram":12sios53 said:
What's your definition of a commercial Angus Muddy? If the sire and dam aren't full blood Angus, cut him. He is a nice looking animal.
Cattle without papers but I doubt the feedlots care about that.

Kingfisher":2zlljyjd said:
Ok. Thanks for the reply. Maybe you can capture a better pic and one of his Sire. Thanks again for your post.
received_10204812476728213_zpssn2c0zrb.jpeg
This pic of his sire is all I had. He is 18 months old in the pic.

That is what a bull prospect should look like at that age. Not saying the world needs more bulls with unknown pedigrees, just saying it is a great looking calf.

Thank you! I'm so tempted to keep him as a bull but his half sisters looks very promising and we do not have a bull pen set up yet.

I really like the masculinity that he displays; but I would question the financial soundness of anyone who keeps bulls from their own herd without knowing the full pedigree with as many genetic defects as we have identified within the black angus gene pool in the last several years. Especially if that animal were to be breed to his half sisters therefore increasing the odds of displaying defects and suffering financially.

Latest posts