Good and bad of ATV's

Help Support CattleToday:

Cross-7

Reaction score
I can't wear my hat, but I can wear a ball cap backwards with my shades and I feel like a really bad azz.

You can't safely drink beer on a ATV
The good thing is you don't need to be drunk on an ATV.

You can trespass on your neighbors and they don't seem to mind.
The ones that do don't recognize you in a backwards ball cap and shades looking all bad azz.

When being chased you can just cut off the road and they can't follow.

You can't carry a fishing rod very well on an ATV.

They are kind of loud so it's hard to sneak around.

Everyone has one and does all of the above so it's ok

Dirt bikes are far more nimble.. Particularly useful when being chased!.. take an old deer trail and the ATV is hopelessly left behind

Nesikep":wjsqo46q said:
Dirt bikes are far more nimble.. Particularly useful when being chased!.. take an old deer trail and the ATV is hopelessly left behind

another option
I still need to figure a way to secure my fishing rod and tackle box

Rod holders that are made to clamp on the rail of a boat fit good enough on the rack of mine.
Set up to carry your rod straight up and don't go under any low limbs. You could make em easy enough with pvc pipe.
I would go without a tractor before I would go without a atv. I don't ever hotdog it though.
Only bad thing about em is how much they cost.

That's the problem.
Breaking the tip off going through brush and trees

Nesikep":27l0acfs said:
A man that used to live in our area rigged a dog box to pull behind his motorsickle and coon hunted off of it. He said getting her shut down was a trick.

Good is when they run. Bad is when they don't run. Real bad is when they are upside down and you are under it. Other than that it is all good.
A gun rack on the handle bard will double a fishing pole holder if it isn't hunting season....... but if you have an ATV isn't hunting season open year round?

callmefence":ddd0e4vy said:
Rod holders that are made to clamp on the rail of a boat fit good enough on the rack of mine.
Set up to carry your rod straight up and don't go under any low limbs. You could make em easy enough with pvc pipe.
I would go without a tractor before I would go without a atv. I don't ever hotdog it though.
Only bad thing about em is how much they cost.

Yeah the cost is a big ouch in the wallet. I love mine though and it plays a major role in the work around here.

After my foot surgery debacle, it's become the best purchase I've ever made. It's pretty useful.

I run my whole place on an ATV. I haul round bales, hay buggies, trailers, gas powered shredders, ATV herbacide sprayers, haul dead tree's etc.... I ride the fenceline and build fenceline with it. My place is so rugged and wooded running a tractor in every area or a truck is not possible. When my old ATV motor blew I tried driving my truck to do some work. I got so many mesquite thorns I had to buy a new $900 set of tires. ATV is my horse, I can even herd cattle with it. Had to buy a new one, $9,000 but it was worth it, and tax deductable.

When I lived in SD, a neighboring rancher and his wife were checking cows on quads..... She didn't show back up at the house when she should have. It took several hours to find her. She was fine, but had rolled the quad over and it had her thigh pinned down. He pulled the quad off of her, and she was dead in just a few minutes. Something about the necrotic blood being reintroduced to her system is what killed her. We used horses 100% of the time on the ranch I worked on. Quads and bikes would have been handy in a few places, but for the most part it was to rough for anything but a horse. That's also how all the high dollar two year olds ended up so broke by the September sale.
I'm not saying one is better than the other....Just thought I'd tell a story that might come in handy someday for someone.

they definitely do cause a lot of accidents, but mile per mile, I don't know if it's worse that horses or bikes... Horses get sticky throttle and brake failures as well!

I live on mine. When the grass gets tall and I lose my trails, I have trouble navigating the gullies. Hit one yesterday and nearly flipped my 4wheeler Julius. This gully has just 2 spots you can cross, but when the grass is tall, they are very hard to find. The cows usually make a trail, but they haven't been in the pasture for a while. Really startled me when I started to roll sideways. Thought, its going to take hours to find me...but luckily, I hit it just far enough to the crossing point that I didn't roll it. Until the cows make a trail, I wont cross there. One of our lease hunters hit it and it flipped him pretty bad. And that was when the grass was short. Really hard to not see it when the grass is short. He was lucky and wasn't hurt.

cowgirl8":5f6vmauf said:
I live on mine. When the grass gets tall and I lose my trails, I have trouble navigating the gullies. Hit one yesterday and nearly flipped my 4wheeler Julius. This gully has just 2 spots you can cross, but when the grass is tall, they are very hard to find. The cows usually make a trail, but they haven't been in the pasture for a while. Really startled me when I started to roll sideways. Thought, its going to take hours to find me...but luckily, I hit it just far enough to the crossing point that I didn't roll it. Until the cows make a trail, I wont cross there. One of our lease hunters hit it and it flipped him pretty bad. And that was when the grass was short. Really hard to not see it when the grass is short. He was lucky and wasn't hurt.

Need to mark them with some pvc or some thing.

Brute 23":266c2id6 said:
cowgirl8":266c2id6 said:

Need to mark them with some pvc or some thing.
I had it marked but the floods knocked it down and grass grew over it. One gets boggy, so I avoid it when its standing in water...its at one end of this pasture, the one covered up is in the middle and where I don't have to worry is at the opposite end. So I just go through there now and will avoid the other till I shred that pasture...

Latest posts