GOOD ADVICE

Help Support CattleToday:

Rod

Reaction score
Never-ever take someones word on how gentle a bull(or any other animal for that matter) is. Never-ever turn your back on a bull, EVER. I was looking at a charolias bull at a guys farm and he was saying how good - natured he was and the whole spill. We walked in the corall and made a few circles around him and continued a conversation, then I went out of the corall. When I say I went out of the corall I dont mean I opened the gate and walked out, I mean all I saw was blue sky and then brown before hitting the ground. Just one sore a## and a banged up knee is what I came out with. I was very fortinate and I have a whole new respect for those beasts. I dont know why he did it, neither did did the owner, but I do know that from now on I will watch a bull like a lion. I hope this post will maybe prevent this from happening to you or someone you know.

It's the nature of the beast. Some breeds are naturally more gentle, or at least have better dispositions than others. I have some pretty easy going bulls, but I also never try to let my guard down. Good thing you were not seriously hurt.

Maybe next time you should confirm with the owner what his definition of gentle is! :shock: :D

If you let your guard down around ANY CATTLE at all it's not a matter if they will get you it's just a matter of when.

jgn":19oh6bh1 said:
If you let your guard down around ANY CATTLE at all it's not a matter if they will get you it's just a matter of when.

Emphasis on "any cattle". I've had some relatively pretty small calves do some interesting things ot my body over the years.

dun

dun":1ohsfyt4 said:
jgn":1ohsfyt4 said:

Emphasis on "any cattle". I've had some relatively pretty small calves do some interesting things ot my body over the years.

dun

Ya! Them suckers can kick their ears! You just think you safe standing at the head! :lol:

Don't sound too mean. If he had been trying to kill you he would have put his head on you instead of under you. You're lucky.

Thanks for posting up Rod,,this is a good thing to be reminded of every once in a while. You mighta saved somebody from getting a messed up knee or broken bone this week,,,way to go!! At my age,,i don't think i'd be able to vault a pen fence the way i used to,,,lol,,

Seems to me that even though they might have some fire in them, they are good to have around.

Some of those dead head, slow moving show cattle also lack the will the live. When you carry everything to them and drug them for the slightest cough, they don't fight when something serious goes wrong.

Glad your landing was not lethal Rod. But sometimes a little "range attitude" is just what the doctored ordered.

No, I didn't buy him. He's got some exellent epd's though, but my sore a## just wouldn't let me wright the check. I cant seem to think that he wouldn't pull that one again either.

I know how you feel...thank God you only came out of it with a healthy new respect for bulls....last year I added some unlogged flight time when a gentle Angus steer planted his head in my butt and launched me over the feed bunk, not a push, a lift and flip and I'm not a small guy...I trust no cow especially bulls.
Dave Mc

Now Rod, you only got a sore butt out of it... and I am sure he was only playing :p .....you may be able to buy him for a lot less money now that he has introduced himself to you in such a manner...just know to never give him another shot at you like that.

Now what I am about to relate to you, I do NOT condone, I have not, nor ever will do it...but I do have a neighbor down the road, that upon getting a new bull, and finds any kind of aggression in it, will beat it almost to death with a steel pipe.......I have helped to doctor his victims in the past.....he swears, he never has another problem with them after that, as it shows the bull who is the alpha of the two.

The bulls stay a very respectfull distance from him afterwards. I have borrowed his bulls on several occasions in the past.....and I can certainly attest to that.........although........it would only take one time........ :cboy:

Latest posts