Gonna get some Ice, need advice

Help Support CattleToday:

Cheyenne

Reaction score
I have a steer and a heifer in a cemented dry lot. In my infinate wisdom I figured with the recent thaw it would be a good idea to get the pen cleaned out and them out of the slop. Well now we are supposed to get a 1/4 to 1/2 inch of ice starting tomorrow night. Then Sat. afternoon supposed to start with snow and get 6-12 inches of that stuff. I knew the 40's wouldn't last. :roll:

Anyway my question is this: to help give them some traction on that cement would it help if I put some straw out? I have oat and bean straw and was thinking that this might help some. I can move their feeder in out of the weather but they will still need to go out for water.

I know I worry too much, but when you only have two you have time to worry.

Thanks

Cheyenne do you have any sand you could put down?Maby put some down before and durning the ice.I don'y blame you for worring it would bother me to.

rattler

Thanks for the suggestion Rattler, I hadn't thought of that. I was only thinking that I couldn't use Ice Melt cause they would eat it. I'm going tomorrow to lay in supplies so will pick up a couple tubes.

If they do decide to taste the sand is it gonna hurt them as long as they don't try to eat too much? They get plenty of mineral so I don't think they would try to eat too much, but who knows.

This is gonna sound odd...kitty litter.

When I raised two bottle baby calves in a smaller type enclosure once (won't go into why I kept them together), and they scoured beyond belief, I covered their scours with kitty litter. They didn't eat it...and they did extremely well, once I got them over the scours.

Anyway, I know that businesses use kitty litter when there's ice on the steps and sidewalks outside their buildings...just a thought...

Alice

Thanks Alice and no that doesn't sound strange at all. I have seen it used before.

I guess I should have also said that besides worrying about traction I am also concerned with them eating whatever I put down. Poor things are bored right now and eat the straw when I put it down. I know that is is normal and they don't tank up on it. But they do try anything new.

Thanks again for the help.

Oh also Alice thanks for the tip on using the litter for scours. I hadn't thought of that either and will need to be getting bottle babies for 4-H again this year, so I will definately use that. I am hoping that I won't, but we know that it is almost inevitable with bottle babies. Gotta love em though. :heart:

As much trouble and heartache as they can be ...yes I do love the bottle babies.

Alice

Before the ice gets there, cover an area for them to walk to/from water in straw. Then they will break through the ice instead of skating on top of it. Concrete+ice+cows=trouble. I'd rather see a foot of snow than an inch of ice. Ice sucks.

cfpinz

Thanks Cfpinz, that was my thinking but wasn't sure that would work. Unfortunately in my situation that lot is the best place for them even with concrete.

I'm with you, I will take snow over ice and unfortunatley that too is gonna happen. Over a foot of snow is forcast to come after the ice. I will actually feel better when the snow starts and there is enough that I don't have to worry too much about the ice anymore.

Thanks again guys, I knew someone here would be thinking when I couldn't see beyond the nose on my face.

I have used ashes on ice here very successfully. If you have access to any wood ash, just sprinkle it around on the icy area and it gives great traction. Not so great on your front step though, it tracks in lots of black.

Latest posts