Golf ball lump on neck?

Help Support CattleToday:

BK9954

Reaction score
I have a 9 month old heifer I took to get her bangs shot, and she got an injectable dewormer while she was there. This was a week ago. Didnt notice anything. Last night saw a golf ball sized lump on the side of her neck. Shes pretty tame so I squeezed it and she showed no signs of pain so I dont think its a snake bite. Any suggestions? Really dont wanna have to take her to town if not necessary. I have antibiotics and asprin bolus here.

Is it on the same side and near where she got her shots? I'm not sure about bangs shots since we don't have those here, but sometimes a knot will show up after certain vaccines. If it's just from her shot, it should go away with time. If it's not near where she got a shot, could be an abscess maybe?

Leave it be, sounds like it's just tissue damage from injection.
That's why it's recommended to give injections in the neck and not the butt or other large muscle.
I know when we vaccinate with Alpha 7 it leaves a lump at least 20% of the time.
Usually smaller than a golf ball, but have seen golf ball sized lumps on other cattle from other types of injections.
I always take the animal's Temp before deciding to give any type of antibiotics.

Its on the same side but not sure if its the same exact spot. Took her in with a group of 9 so there were a few to watch.

That looks too high for an injection site, we definitely don't get that much swelling from BANGS and we pour-on for worming so I'm not qualified to address that. I'd just keep an eye on it for a while; if it's an abscess it may burst on its own. I've had that happen before & just followed up by spraying Vetrycin & giving her Sustain III boluses (hand-feeder, just ate them, no chute required). Plan B is to pierce it with a needle to see if there's pus, in which case it should be lanced, drained, flushed with diluted Betadyne & a healthy dose of antibiotics.

I've had residual lumps, occasionally, from vaccinations/injections. That one is a little bit on the big side. I agree with TCR, that site is a bit high, higher than where I generally give injections.

But, it could very easily be from the "shots". Did you watch the injections being administered? Is that the spot where it got the shot?

I dont remember them being that high. There were 2 different techs giving shots while I was speaking with the doctor so I couldnt be 100% on location for sure.

I have had her off in 1 acre for the last month due to not wanting her with my bull. They all rub in the same tree. I was thinking it was wasp or copperhead but no symptoms of pain. Snakes and wasp are everywhere this year. There was almost no winter.

We had one poor old cow that as a 7 year old when we shipped her she had a lump from every shot she had ever had. Looked like she had been attacked by wasps/bees all the time. She never showed discomfort, it was just tough giving her shots and missing all the previous lumps.

Son of Butch":3t142zaa said:
Leave it be, sounds like it's just tissue damage from injection.
That's why it's recommended to give injections in the neck and not the butt or other large muscle.
I know when we vaccinate with Alpha 7 it leaves a lump at least 20% of the time.
Usually smaller than a golf ball, but have seen golf ball sized lumps on other cattle from other types of injections.
I always take the animal's Temp before deciding to give any type of antibiotics.

+1. I stopped using Alpha 7 at birth and started using Vision 7 and another as a booster at branding time :idea: Then a dose of the cheaper 5cc stuff in the fall shots.

TCRanch":1cfflcns said:
That looks too high for an injection site, we definitely don't get that much swelling from BANGS and we pour-on for worming so I'm not qualified to address that. I'd just keep an eye on it for a while; if it's an abscess it may burst on its own. I've had that happen before & just followed up by spraying Vetrycin & giving her Sustain III boluses (hand-feeder, just ate them, no chute required). Plan B is to pierce it with a needle to see if there's pus, in which case it should be lanced, drained, flushed with diluted Betadyne & a healthy dose of antibiotics.
You need to vary your worming....only using a pour on is going to bite you in the azz...Alternate, pour on, injection, paste...

Latest posts