Going rate for leased bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

Most people charge by the cow not by the month. I have been hearing something in the $30 per cow range. If I could lease a bull for $100 a month I would be on it like stink on a skunk. Obviously I don't know what this bull looks like but he does have a pretty darn good pedigree.

I have 7 cows, so $30 per cow for the 3 month lease would be cheaper than what I was offering.

TennesseeTuxedo":2b234fsj said:
I'd pay for a full exam, BSE and for general health, by your vet at your expense before I brought him onto my property.

$100 a month sound like a heck of a deal if the guy will go for it.

Looks like to me if he's providing the bull for lease he should be paying for the bse not me.

Calhoun Farm":2ljdyiry said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2ljdyiry said:
I'd pay for a full exam, BSE and for general health, by your vet at your expense before I brought him onto my property.

Looks like to me if he's providing the bull for lease he should be paying for the bse not me.

Honestly I'd be less concerned about his BSE results than having him checked for other issues.... something like IBR comes to mind for some reason...

Just sayin'...

At the end of the day you are responsible for the health of your cows. If he will pay for the vet check (trich is now a growing problem in our state) all the better but if not I would if I were you for the sake of your 7 cows. If I only had seven I would just synch them up and have a tech A.I. them to a very high quality bull.

HOSS":wsv5vkcm said:
At the end of the day you are responsible for the health of your cows. If he will pay for the vet check (trich is now a growing problem in our state) all the better but if not I would if I were you for the sake of your 7 cows. If I only had seven I would just synch them up and have a tech A.I. them to a very high quality bull.

That was my plan but I can't find anyone close to do it. The one guy I know is like 3.5hrs away. The last time I called select sires (Pat Garrett) he told me to call some dairy guy (can't remember his name). I did and left a vmail and never heard another word from him or Pat and that's been almost a year ago. All the farmers I know around here just buy a bull.

TennesseeTuxedo":kbs6wbyv said:
Calhoun Farm":kbs6wbyv said:
TennesseeTuxedo":kbs6wbyv said:

Honestly I'd be less concerned about his BSE results than having him checked for other issues.... something like IBR comes to mind for some reason...

Just sayin'...

I wouldn't worry as much about getting one off the farm, dirty bulls from the barn are the crud carriers.

The guy I know who leases bulls here doesn't leave them for 90 days this time of the year. 60 days is all you will get. He has people waiting in line for bulls. Now if you are using one of his bulls in the winter that is a different story. He will leave a bull there all winter as long as you are feeding it and will let him leave it there. Of course he still charges for the breeding while you are feeding his bull.

IBR, Johnes, and Trich. test to be able to come onto my place. Just not worth getting that stuff in the ground or in your cows. Too many regrets for years to come.

branguscowgirl":xitl1ps0 said:
IBR, Johnes, and Trich. test to be able to come onto my place. Just not worth getting that stuff in the ground or in your cows. Too many regrets for years to come.

+ testing for Neospora for any new ladies ...

Calhoun Farm":1cy9361u said:
I have 7 cows, so $30 per cow for the 3 month lease would be cheaper than what I was offering.

You should be okay with just 60 days if all 7 have not calved recently.

Calhoun Farm":gnid1vdj said:
I wouldn't worry as much about getting one off the farm, dirty bulls from the barn are the crud carriers.
And the ones from the barns come from some place besides a farm? :?

If the bull came from an Anaplsmosis area, that would also be a consideration for testing.

The only outside bulls I have used have belonged to a very close friend. We have the same vaccination and bull testing program. I can not emphasize enough, how devastating it can be for many years to come, if you introduce something into your herd.

tom4018":3e4svoxp said:
Calhoun Farm":3e4svoxp said:
And the ones from the barns come from some place besides a farm? :?

Cattle catch most diseases from the sale barn not off the farm.

Latest posts