Going rate for leased bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

Farmers sell sick cattle all the time. My point was you have a much lower chance of bringing disease home if you buy off the farm and not after an animal has been run through a sell barn and come in contact with sick animals and disease lingering on every surface.

FlyingLSimmentals":tfu14q51 said:
How does the disease get to the sale barn? My guess is from somebody's farm!

:lol2: :lol2:

Calhoun Farm":tfu14q51 said:
Farmers sell sick cattle all the time. My point was you have a much lower chance of bringing disease home if you buy off the farm and not after an animal has been run through a sell barn and come in contact with sick animals and disease lingering on every surface.

Cf I understand what you are saying however I have bought cows from sale barns during special sales. We have special corrections farm sales where cows are tested for disease pregnancy tested as well and the yard has to powerwash and bleach the whole facility before they are allowed to sale the cows I will buy any cow from that sale. I have loaned my bull out and charged the guy 10 per head of cows and not to pay me till all calfs were born.

Although a lot of crap can be brought home by a sale barn bull, the two diseases that could cause you the longest term economic harm, Johnes and trich, were caught at the farm and not the sale barn. Wouldn't advocate a sale barn bull but the farm bull isn't always a safe bet either. :2cents: But, hey, your cows, your risk.

Last time I bought bulls they were from a place I knew well, had been in the business for years, let me see all the cattle including the dams, sold me virgin bulls, BSE, and BLV & BVD tested them before pickup. Still worry about Johnes, the only thing we didn't do is test the dams, which is why I prefer to raise my own bulls, among other reasons.

Quit blaming the bull for everything, his cows could be carring some bad stuff also.
Calhoun Farms, where did your cows come from?? And what kind of vaccines have they had? Everybody has a dog in this fight the way I see it.

We have not leased bulls, but I would have no incentive to lease one at that price. If I had to provide the Trich and BSE, I am looking at at least $100 in vet charges. So, if you have the bull for 60 days I might make $100? Not worth my time.
Might be beneficial for you to go to AI school before next breeding season. You have so many more options that way.

Fire Sweep Ranch":8c6pwg7b said:
We have not leased bulls, but I would have no incentive to lease one at that price. If I had to provide the Trich and BSE, I am looking at at least $100 in vet charges. So, if you have the bull for 60 days I might make $100? Not worth my time.
Might be beneficial for you to go to AI school before next breeding season. You have so many more options that way.

I don't have time this year, I need these cows bred by October so I can sell them as bred cows with calves and not open.

I have seen people in your situation CF go to sale barn find a good looking bull buy it take it home let it breed the cows then come back sell bull and cows later.

skyhightree1":1mozgldz said:
I have seen people in your situation CF go to sale barn find a good looking bull buy it take it home let it breed the cows then come back sell bull and cows later.

For the cheap way out I was trying to just lease a bull for 60days to bred my cows and give him back.

Calhoun Farm":26nvx2nv said:
skyhightree1":26nvx2nv said:

For the cheap way out I was trying to just lease a bull for 60days to bred my cows and give him back.

I understand.

What should you have a bull tested for? I am partners on a bull and know the partner runs a good program, but I want to make sure he is "clean" when I get him back.

Scratch this post. Guy never called back and local universities don't lease here anymore. Going to buy a brahman bull this weekend.

I pay $500 for the season for an angus bull. I get him from the owner of the sale barn, they check him and have him ready to go when I pick him up. I would snap up a $100 bull like white on rice. I went to a bull sale a month ago and they had registered angus bulls, hand raised, checked out every which way from Tuesday that they could not get $2000 for. Nice looking bulls too, but at the time, I really just wanted to lease one. I went to the sale yesterday, they had average looking bulls going for $1900. The cow/calf pairs, average looking Heifers with small calves were going for $1900, the bred cows were going for $1800. Just average looking, nothing fancy. Even the weigh cows were going for $1.00/#. Prices are going up.

Good bulls are easy to find but you have to look for them. I just sold a 4 year old Angus bull to a guy a few miles away. I sold him for .10 cents over kill price and he came and got him, we were both happy. He has 2 seven year old Brangus bulls that are heading to the sale barn in a week or 2. They've been worked hard, but you could get your cows bred and make a hundred dollars by fall just by feeding him grass. When I see someone working or checking cows I stop and BS, I'm always trying to learn something. Put the word out to people you know and also put a add on Craigslist and you will find something. Heck I have a real good looking yearling bull right now that I will sell for a little over kill price.

There is a farm that advertises on Craigslist in sw Missouri that rents out about 400 bulls per year. They charge 400-650 per year for the bulls and you have to pay for any vet checks, if one checks bad, take it back and pick up another one. I have a neighbor who decided not to pay what it took to buy bulls, so he rented 6 about a month ago. We will see how things turn out

Latest posts