Going price for 3 in 1's

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
What is the going price for 3 in 1's in your area. Specifically younger cows 3 to 5 yrs old. Black baldy cows (herf x angus) bred to a quality black Gelbvieh bull? Calves at their side are heifers and are about 300 to 350 lbs. I am not buying but want to sell a couple. I have never had to price 3 in 1's because I have always waited until weaning and sold off the calves separatley. I am wanting to make room for some more registered stock. I have not seen any listedin this area to get a feel for what the market is bringing. The cows are better than average for the area as far as quality goes. They are fairly docile and good mommas. Definetly not common sale barn culls.

Seems like most of the 350lb calves will be split at the sale barns. Short term Breds will bring .75 as they'll Prolly go to slaughter. The more cover they show the more likely that's where they'll end up. [email protected] = 490 + 1200@ .75= 900. $1390+/-

Had a stock cow sale at the local barn last night. SS w/400 lb calves (red) first stage 1535, 5-7 year old the red baldys 1750.
There were some smallish cow, 900 lbs with young calves open and black for 900.

dun":rv7jcaln said:
Had a stock cow sale at the local barn last night. SS w/400 lb calves (red) first stage 1535, 5-7 year old the red baldys 1750.
I go to 10 sales a mnth and have nvr once seen a pair in the north central TX or se Ok area bring 1750. From gainesville, to sulphur springs, emory, winnesboro, back up to durant, and Caddo- the high selling pair might bring 1300. In this area, unless the calf is under 200lbs, theyll never bring more as a pair than they would split.

MF135":utahy6vt said:
dun":utahy6vt said:
I go to 10 sales a mnth and have nvr once seen a pair in the north central TX or se Ok area bring 1750. From gainesville, to sulphur springs, emory, winnesboro, back up to durant, and Caddo- the high selling pair might bring 1300. In this area, unless the calf is under 200lbs, theyll never bring more as a pair than they would split.
I'm just going by the sale and the check. This wasn;t a weekly sale, I have no idea what they go for their. This was advertised as a stock cow sale and these were reputation cattle, not culls from the back fields.

dun":24oxfllr said:
MF135":24oxfllr said:
dun":24oxfllr said:
I'm just going by the sale and the check. This wasn;t a weekly sale, I have no idea what they go for their. This was advertised as a stock cow sale and these were reputation cattle, not culls from the back fields.
I wasnt trying to dispute your prices jus point out the price disparities between locations.
Dun, your far too knowledgeable about the cattle business in general to really believe only back field culls are being sold through the sale barns. Quality cattle go through the ring on the regular. Maybe making the "sale barns" out to be a place of trash and culls saves the unknowing newbie from making a beginner's mistake, it sure doesn't accurately depict the arena.

I would prefer to sell these private treaty. I prefer to buy that way myself. I have bought some pretty good heifers at the weekly sale barn but I prefer to buy whre I can see the environment they come from. These are good young 1st and 2nd calf mommas so I think they have more than slaughter value.

MF135":31ktj0yv said:
Quality cattle go through the ring on the regular. Maybe making the "sale barns" out to be a place of trash and culls saves the unknowing newbie from making a beginner's mistake, it sure doesn't accurately depict the arena.

People buy complete junk animals off of places like Craig's list ("private treaty") because of the rumors of the evil sale barn. Most of the animals you see advertised wouldn't earn bids of any count in the arena. Go figure.

cowman":3gm40m77 said:
I beleive 3 n 1 is where the money is to be made.
Around here you may call'em a 3 in 1 and they might actually run them into the ring that way but 99% of the time they'll split the cow and calf, sell the cow (she may go back to the farm or go to the packer) and then they'll sell the calf. HOSS you can always price them as 3 in 1's and then sell the bred cow at a premium for splitting them up.

cowman":26pgh6ll said:
Do i really need to.

I for one would really appreciate it. I am curious as to your perspective. I am always willing to learn something new.

TennesseeTuxedo":1l0xnlxg said:
What about advertising them on http://www.cattlerange.com Hoss?

I'm going to jump in on this thread and since I am a Reg. Breeder I really don't have a dog in the fight whether you go private treaty or sale barn , but what I can tell you about selling Reg Hereford bulls to comm. customers you can't beat the cattle range. We have tried every type of print adv. you can think of and the range is where we get the activity in Texas and Okla.

Have never tried to sell comm. females off there but their bull deal works. :mrgreen:

cowtex":2foks37b said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2foks37b said:
What about advertising them on http://www.cattlerange.com Hoss?

I'm going to jump in on this thread and since I am a Reg. Breeder I really don't have a dog in the fight whether you go private treaty or sale barn , but what I can tell you about selling Reg Hereford bulls to comm. customers you can't beat the cattle range. We have tried every type of print adv. you can think of and the range is where we get the activity in Texas and Okla.

Have never tried to sell comm. females off there but their bull deal works. :mrgreen:
I have several friends, both registered and comm that use the range and I have bought off there myself. I just wish I had followed thru with the idea. I wanted to create a site like that in college and actually worked on it for a class project. :dunce:

TennesseeTuxedo":1oxkevy2 said:
Glad to hear a pro like you recommends that site cowtex. I'm like a kid with the Sears/Roebuck Christmas catalog when it comes to Cattle Range.
Me too! :banana:

I did some checking around and looking at sale results on 3 in 1's. I priced them competively at firm $1,500 per set. I tossed the info out to a couple of friends that are also in the cattle business and one of them had an aquaintance that was looking for young 3 in 1's. He bought them over the phone sight unseen and is coming to get them Saturday morning. Now I have several top notch weanling heifers to sell and I should be ready to start shopping for more registered stock. :cboy:

Latest posts