Goat Weed Spraying Question

Help Support CattleToday:

I use 1 qt. to 20 gallons of water and either spot spray it or boom spray it, at 5-7 mph. Don't know how many gallons per acre it is, it's just what has worked for me.

CCRanch":1hhkoms3 said:
I use 1 qt. to 20 gallons of water and either spot spray it or boom spray it, at 5-7 mph. Don't know how many gallons per acre it is, it's just what has worked for me.
I just did a quick calculation as per the last time I sprayed. The difference between 5 mph and 7 mph was 20 gallons per acre.

Well, per my calculation, I have to drive 3.9mph to get 20GPA out. Now I just need to decide if I am going to use 1qt or 1.5. I am just leaning towards 1.5qts now, because of the stage some of that stuff is in already. Although, none of it is at the "gray leaf" point, yet.

novatech":djzz5ent said:
CCRanch":djzz5ent said:
I just did a quick calculation as per the last time I sprayed. The difference between 5 mph and 7 mph was 20 gallons per acre.
Pump pressure makes a big difference in the amount delivered. With my 17 foot booms 5 mph @ 50 psi sprays 20 gallons an acre

I got ahold of the psi vs. gpm table for my sprayer's nozzles and calculated my ground speed that way. I think I am still going to measure out how much water they are spraying before I get started just to make sure "real world" matches the spec sheet......

jsm":3w44xefr said:
I got ahold of the psi vs. gpm table for my sprayer's nozzles and calculated my ground speed that way. I think I am still going to measure out how much water they are spraying before I get started just to make sure "real world" matches the spec sheet......
That's what I did. According to the specs I needed 60 psi not 50 to get the right amount. Could be the diameter of the hoses that made the difference.

jsm":1qfc2gi9 said:
Measuring is the only accurate method. Pressure gauges are sometimes inaccurate. If you use roundup and brass tips, the tips will actually enlarge over time due to corrosion or the chemical eating away the brass.
As far as the grey stage, I have used Cimarron Plus with good results. It is less expensive than 2-4-d. It is rather slow acting as far as visual results. It also works well on blackberries and wild rose.

I have a pasture full of wild rose and 2-4-d has been doing ok on it. I might try Cimarron next year and see if it does any better. ALso, I have dewberries that are spreading pertty bad and have been looking for a spray for them as well. When do you spray for dewberries/blackberries? I figure when they are blooming, is that right?

CCRanch":3czh0lga said:
I have a pasture full of wild rose and 2-4-d has been doing ok on it. I might try Cimarron next year and see if it does any better. ALso, I have dewberries that are spreading pertty bad and have been looking for a spray for them as well. When do you spray for dewberries/blackberries? I figure when they are blooming, is that right?
We have so few dew berries and none in the pastues or hay fields that I've never messed with them. Blackberries are best killed when in full bloom. But I found the Surmount will hammer them even after they've started to set berries and even in the early spring when they're just growing fast.

Latest posts