Goat Weed Spraying Question

Help Support CattleToday:

jsm

Reaction score
All,
I was hoping someone could give me some advise on spraying goatweed. Will Grazon P+D at 1qt/acre kill goatweed if it is over 12" tall? If it is that tall, should you shred it first before spraying? I have quite a bit coming back into my pastures, hampering my grass recovery, and wanted to try and get rid of it.

Thanks in advance.

Joseph

By the time it's that tall there isn;t much that will kill it. I used a witches brew of Surmount and Grazon a couple of years ago and cleared it all out but it was still actively growing and hadn;t gotten to the flower/seed stage.

Dun, thanks. What about shredding it down and then spraying a couple of weeks later. Will that get it? Or, is the plant too robust?

I would think that as long as theplant gets to growing well again it "might" work. Using Grazon you have to remember that it's going to kill all your other broadleaf stuff, like clover, and nothing is goign to germinate for the next 3-6 months

Nah, its a little too late to kill it now, just shred it if you want to clean your pasture up, then get on it early in the spring with 2-4-d or grazon. Also as hot and dry as its gotten in the past few weeks, its not gonna grow back before fall and the weed spray has to hit leaf to do any good if its shredded there's no leaf to apply the spray to. If its a new pasture that your trying to clean up and get good grass growing, you may have to spray weeds 2 or 3 times in the spring.

You are too late this year to spray and do any real good. Go ahead and shred this year. Next spring (late May/first of June) spray with 2,4-D when goatweeds are first emerging. 2,4-D will be your cheapest herbicide and does an excellent job on goatweed. For tougher weeds you may have to step up to Grazon, Weedmaster, Surmount of PastureGuard.

calfbuyer":g1rak45i said:
Nah, its a little too late to kill it now, just shred it if you want to clean your pasture up, then get on it early in the spring with 2-4-d or grazon. Also as hot and dry as its gotten in the past few weeks, its not gonna grow back before fall .

I'm not so sure about that last part. That stuff grows with or without moisture--105 degrees or 75 degrees.
?
If he were to shred it this late, won't that just spread more seed for next year? If he sprayed it this late and at it's present height, would the herbicide kill the seeds that are undoubtedly already formed on the plants?

Once the leaves start to get that greyish color your pretty well screwed.

greybeard":305xwigt said:
calfbuyer":305xwigt said:
Nah, its a little too late to kill it now, just shred it if you want to clean your pasture up, then get on it early in the spring with 2-4-d or grazon. Also as hot and dry as its gotten in the past few weeks, its not gonna grow back before fall .

I'm not so sure about that last part. That stuff grows with or without moisture--105 degrees or 75 degrees.
?
If he were to shred it this late, won't that just spread more seed for next year? If he sprayed it this late and at it's present height, would the herbicide kill the seeds that are undoubtedly already formed on the plants?

doesn't matter if you shred it now or not, it has already seeded out, your gonna have it next year regardless if you spray it or shred it. Therefore if you spray it now you will just waste your time and money because your gonna have to deal with it next spring again anyway. So as i said if you want to clean your pasture up then shred it and get on the weed spraying next spring.

All, I really appreciate the advise. I think I am going to shred now and then hammer it (multiple times if necessary) with Grazon P+D next spring. I am trying to rehabilitate a pasture that has been poorly managed for the last few years.

jsm":2hfb987f said:
All, I really appreciate the advise. I think I am going to shred now and then hammer it (multiple times if necessary) with Grazon P+D next spring. I am trying to rehabilitate a pasture that has been poorly managed for the last few years.
If goatweed is your big problem and not some other harder to control weeds, then I would use 2,4-D instead of Grazon. It cost a lot less and is just as effective on goatweed.

AGREED, you can kill goatweed easy with 2-4-d especially if you get to it early in the spring while its still tender and actively growing.

calfbuyer":1m8zgbv1 said:
AGREED, you can kill goatweed easy with 2-4-d especially if you get to it early in the spring while its still tender and actively growing.
The amin advantage of Grazon over 2,4-d is you won;t have to keep respraying for the weeds for 3-6 months instead of pretty much every other week

Yeah, I am fairly surprised that my pastures got jumped again with goatweed after having it sprayed with 1qt/acre Grazon P+D back in early June (the stuff started coming back in around mid July). My county agent said that surprised him too, because that rate of Grazon P+D should have had a better residual effect.

Of course, we had a major rain event (about 6" in 2 days) in mid July and a relative told me that sort of stirs up new weed seed and will weaken the herbicide's residual effect somewhat.

However, that is why I am getting my own sprayer and applicators license, so I know *exactly* what is getting put down......

Joseph

I sprayed goat weed on Monday the 7th and it is shriveled up and dying right now. Some of it looked ready to drop its seed, so I wanted to kill it before it dropped. Goat weed is easy to kill and 2-4-d will kill it now easily. You don't want to mow it and spread the seed everywhere.

Not sure about your area specifically but if you shred dove weed right now here and we get rain its gonna be right back... this year. We spray Grazon next late in the year for broad leaf weeds, huisatche and mesquite. What little we do have it kills it no problem but as said it will be back next year. If your going for only weeds earlier in the spring is better before any thing seeds out.

You can shred it and get an immediate effect.... not my first choice. When it comes back with those fresh green leaves spray it. Its all what you want to spend.

Just wondering - how much 2-4-D Amine should you spray with right now to get a good kill on the goatweed? A relative told me 1.5qt/acre, is that reasonable?

I think I am going to spray some of it this weekend.

Thanks,
Joseph

jsm":7lckhc9u said:
Just wondering - how much 2-4-D Amine should you spray with right now to get a good kill on the goatweed? A relative told me 1.5qt/acre, is that reasonable?

I think I am going to spray some of it this weekend.

Thanks,
Joseph
For spot spraying I use 32 oz per acre, not sure in pints what that is. I would also throw in a little Remedy or Surmount.

Latest posts