Goals

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Does anyone here raise beef cattle with the goal of giving the consumer the best meat they can buy or is your goal just to raise the biggest calf because thats how you get paid ?

JSCATTLE":2sq0sn9s said:
I'm not good will . I want to be paid for my beef .

Amen from the choir I want the one that mashes the scale's down the most.
Most American can't tell the difference in a Angus steak from a Water Buffalo.

Don't for a minute get the idea the feedlot is not looking for the calf that mashes the scale down the most the fastest on the least feed. They are all the same color when the hide comes off.

my turn on the soapbox.
as hook said it is possible to do both.
i see a time where cattlemen will be paid based on the the product they raise.
the hard heads that are stuck on their "favorite" cows will be paid accordingly(could say we starting in that direction now)
there are quality cows that can function in my environment and your enviroment and produce a quality calf.
in todays times it not hard to breed to a bull that further insures your product quality and "mashes down the scale"

thats all :D

cross_7":1x07by4h said:
my turn on the soapbox.
the hard heads that are stuck on their "favorite" cows will be paid accordingly(could say we starting in that direction now)
there are quality cows that can function in my environment and your enviroment and produce a quality calf.
in todays times it not hard to breed to a bull that further insures your product quality and "mashes down the scale"

What breed of cattle do u raise out there?

it all depends on who you market to.....
define your market first and....
then produce for the market you have chosen...
I also agree with hook....
Personally I tried to raise cattle with decent conformation that would adequately serve as breeding stock for my neighbors. I have always been production oriented and believed in performance testing. I eat my own beef as quality control. I tried for years to get actual carcass data back on my cattle but as a small producer the only place I could do that was through the Virginia Retained Ownership Program. Was always satisfied with their performance and with the program.

Stepbystep":uwlxq5io said:
cross_7":uwlxq5io said:
my turn on the soapbox.

What breed of cattle do u raise out there?

mostly angus
i like a little ear but no more thn a 1/4 if i can help it.

how bout you ?

cross_7":2jvvehxu said:
my turn on the soapbox.

I agree with being hard head as I resemble that remark.
There are three esential breed's in the US Angus, Brahman, Hereford and thier crosses.
I will say that Char IMO has made huge strides to join the group especially in a terminal operation.
The rest is just window dressing.

Caustic Burno":3tevqhpn said:
I agree with being hard head as I resemble that remark.
There are three esential breed's in the US Angus, Brahman, Hereford and thier crosses.
I will say that Char IMO has made huge strides to join the group especially in a terminal operation.
The rest is just window dressing.
Depends on the area of the country. Around here you'll see a hundred Simmenthal for every dozen charolais. In this (very small) area right around Lebanon you'll see a dozen limousin for every Hereford. But balck colored Angus far out number all of the others combined.

salebarn junkie":190dii7u said:
In southwest missouri one of the top producing cattle regions in the country you wont find very many brahman. You very rarly see a herford bull.
Texas has almost 3 times the cattle as Missouri . And mostly brahman influenced . It's regional !! I want to produce pounds because that's what pays . I've learned there is no premium at the sale barn for meat quality . That is a pure bred breeders line of bs to sell a bull . Frame score and thickness bring a premium .

JSCATTLE":17o5aw2g said:
salebarn junkie":17o5aw2g said:
In southwest missouri one of the top producing cattle regions in the country you wont find very many brahman. You very rarly see a herford bull.
Texas has almost 3 times the cattle as Missouri . And mostly brahman influenced . It's regional !! I want to produce pounds because that's what pays . I've learned there is no premium at the sale barn for meat quality . That is a pure bred breeders line of bs to sell a bull . Frame score and thickness bring a premium .
Might be BS in your opinion, but if you retain ownership or get a reputation for high grading carcasses on your calves, it will pay. A poor quality grading calf eats just as much as higher quality grading calf. Weight matters too, but why raise low quailty grading calves when you're leaving money on the table?
Maybe you need to find a different sale barn or marketing method.

JSCATTLE":3d6b32hj said:
salebarn junkie":3d6b32hj said:

30% of the US cattle herd is Brahman influenced.

Caustic Burno":8zcdsmki said:
In the areas that it's needed it only makes sense, for the 90% of the rest of the country it will bite you on the butt. The neighbor hauls his calves to someplace in OK and even with the trucking he makes more on them then if he sold them locally. He runs Gerts and Gert british crosses. Darn nice cattle considering the Brahman influence.

dun":30us9il3 said:
JSCATTLE":30us9il3 said:
salebarn junkie":30us9il3 said:
Might be BS in your opinion, but if you retain ownership or get a reputation for high grading carcasses on your calves, it will pay. A poor quality grading calf eats just as much as higher quality grading calf. Weight matters too, but why raise low quailty grading calves when you're leaving money on the table?Maybe you need to find a different sale barn or marketing method.

that's what i wanted to say, i just aint smart enough to say it so eloquently

cross_7":1hnb32q3 said:
that's what i wanted to say, i just aint smart enough to say it so eloquently
That's the first time I've been accused of being eloquent!

Caustic Burno":2b5g2wct said:
JSCATTLE":2b5g2wct said:
salebarn junkie":2b5g2wct said:

With good reason too.

This is from a USDA PDF file from the Louisiana Ag Expertment Station.

The Southern region of the U.S. contains approximately 42% of the nation's beef cows and nearly
50% of its cow-calf producers. The region's environment generally can be characterized as subtropical,
i.e. hot, humid summers with ample rainfall supporting good forage production. Efficient cow-calf
production in the humid South is dependent on heat and parasite tolerance and good forage utilization
ability. Brahman and Brahman-derivative breeds generally possess these characteristics and excel in
maternal traits. Consequently, they have been used extensively throughout the Southern Region in
crossbreeding systems with Bos taurus breeds in order to exploit both breed complementarity and
heterosis effects.

Latest posts