GMO grains in cattle feed.

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

dixiedrifter

Reaction score
Well I haven't been around here long and this is a hot topic in the news but what is your opinion of GMO grains in cattle diets?

Personally I think Monsanto is a money hungry corporation seeking to establish monopolies on their biotech but don't think there is much difference in non-GMO and GMO grains nutrition wise for all practical intents and purposes and they are safe for both humans and livestock.

dixiedrifter":3fm59j0c said:
Well I haven't been around here long and this is a hot topic in the news but what is your opinion of GMO grains in cattle diets?

Personally I think Monsanto is a money hungry corporation seeking to establish monopolies on their biotech but don't think there is much difference in non-GMO and GMO grains nutrition wise for all practical intents and purposes and they are safe for both humans and livestock.
All corporations are money hungry. They have share holders to feed....And we have to feed the world. GMO has helped along that line.

dixiedrifter":2xvbla9k said:

Cattle have been eating gmo corn since the early 1940's, kind of late to start worrying now isn't it?

If were feeding the world with 1960's technology, we'd already have people starving. Fertilizer, irrigation, and hybred varieties may have taken us about as far as we can go. GMO crops, are the next logical step. The same pablum puking liberals crying about GMO crops will be the first in line to get some cornmeal, if the deed ever goes down.

dixiedrifter":2hnz6wjt said:
Personally I think Monsanto is a money hungry corporation seeking to establish monopolies on their biotech...

I should introduce you to a friend of mine - you and she share a common view of Monsanto! Personally, I can't see where Monsanto is any worse than any other corporation out there - they are all money hungry, regardless of what they produce. Granted, some take it to a higher degree than others, but they are all basically the same.

corporations provide employment for millions of people.....

I have yet to hear anyone kvetch about all those evil jobs....

until they have some hard times and have to lay off folks and then guess who is evil? certainly not the government regulation that most likely led to the hard times....

For those that think Monsanto is just another corporation take a moment and Google Monsanto and the city of Anniston AL.

u4411clb":nnq7arqy said:
For those that think Monsanto is just another corporation take a moment and Google Monsanto and the city of Anniston AL.
Nothing new there. Sorry. ;-)

http://news.ucdavis.edu/search/news_det ... o?id=11038
http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... ea/?page=1
http://thebreakthrough.org/index.php/pr ... o-hysteria

The few 'studies' that the anti-GMO crowd continually point to, like the papers released by Seralini and Carman, have been thoroughly debunked as junk science, but they keep touting them as if they were valid.

Sorry - wait; no, I'm not - but to me the GMO advances have been a win-win, even from an environmental standpoint.
Less need for tillage - resulting in far less soil erosion, fewer trips across the fields - resulting in great fuel savings and less emissions; less need for spraying/application of herbicides far nastier than glyphosate(Roundup), insertion of Bt genes have diminished the need for spraying pesticides that might affect non-target species - and... less damage from corn ear worms, corn borers, and the like result in less mycotoxin production in those grain crops that would previously have been contaminated... resulting in less toxin-induced disease and cancer in animals - and humans - consuming those products.

ibetyamissedme":xmyawb3y said:
dixiedrifter":xmyawb3y said:

Cattle have been eating gmo corn since the early 1940's, kind of late to start worrying now isn't it?
Yes it is.

Most people that call something GMO as in it being made in a lab, don't really know what GMO is.
Every thing we grow today has been genetically modified from the original wild variety.
Of course some hippie Eco friend is going to say other wise.

it comes down to product differentiation and marketing.....

the affluent in our society have decided it is better to pay more for products that they perceive as safer.....

the good marketers feed that penchant and market their product as superior....

nothing new under the sun.

I think many of you are confusing GMO's with hybrids. GMO corn has only been used since the mid 90's.
Lucky_P":1dy8lamw said:
http://news.ucdavis.edu/search/news_detail.lasso?id=11038
http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... ea/?page=1
http://thebreakthrough.org/index.php/pr ... o-hysteria

The few 'studies' that the anti-GMO crowd continually point to, like the papers released by Seralini and Carman, have been thoroughly debunked as junk science, but they keep touting them as if they were valid.

Sorry - wait; no, I'm not - but to me the GMO advances have been a win-win, even from an environmental standpoint.
Less need for tillage - resulting in far less soil erosion, fewer trips across the fields - resulting in great fuel savings and less emissions; less need for spraying/application of herbicides far nastier than glyphosate(Roundup), insertion of Bt genes have diminished the need for spraying pesticides that might affect non-target species - and... less damage from corn ear worms, corn borers, and the like result in less mycotoxin production in those grain crops that would previously have been contaminated... resulting in less toxin-induced disease and cancer in animals - and humans - consuming those products.

Take a look at Gabe Brown's operation in ND. There are many others across the country but there is lots of info on Gabe's operation. IMO, his farm model is the future of sustainable farming. He consistently produces 30% more than the county average with far less inputs than conventional practices. Yes, we can feed the world with no or minimal commercial fertilize, herbicides, pesticides and no tillage, and make more money while we're at it! Of course, only people willing to listen and change will even google his name.

Somewhere mixed in the internet, GMO became the term people liked using for all the fear mongering. The correct abbreviation is GE. I guess GMO sounds scarier and isnt confused with appliances. Everything is GMO, but not everything is GE.

I don't have a dog in this fight but,

I hate the chip on the shoulder cr@p about feeding the world. Who says we are responsible?

Talk to a small seed company guy once about Monsanto. If you agree to sell their stuff they get full access to your books. Mainly to track who is purchasing. They have been harassing seed cleaners for years. It all gets back to the Supreme Court case where plant life was allowed to be patented. Watch out because folks are working to get animal life patented As well.

I realize their is some unwarranted histeria, but there are real stories worldwide that have been terrible.

This is our food supply. They or anyone interested in profit will go as far as needed. Just like we all have a healthy dis-trust for our government, so should you be wary of anyone like Monsanto.

Just my thoughts

Virtually the entire global grain market is controlled by only two companies: Archer Daniels Midland Corporation, ("ADM"), and Cargill. Monsanto may own the seed but these two own the production from just about everything agriculture related.

Bigfoot":2k0ivinj said:
If were feeding the world with 1960's technology, we'd already have people starving. Fertilizer, irrigation, and hybred varieties may have taken us about as far as we can go. GMO crops, are the next logical step. The same pablum puking liberals crying about GMO crops will be the first in line to get some cornmeal, if the deed ever goes down.

Governments and tyrants starve people, not our farming technology.

AllForage":avuceef8 said:
Bigfoot":avuceef8 said:

Governments and tyrants starve people, not our farming technology.

Not ours but theirs. Growing corn or millet in the Sahara isn't easy even in the best of years. On the positive side.....obesity is not a problem.

Texas you are missing my point. It doesn't matter if we produce 10 bushel or 1000 bushel. Those in control of the areas control the food. A lot of Africans have admitted the importation of food has worsened their condition. Created more tyrants and warlords. Lots of sustainable chinese farmers and their children moved to big cities in search of easier life and end up in same condition.

North Korea does not lack electricity due to their technology, it is their gov't.

that's all...

AllForage":2lxkw4cw said:
Texas you are missing my point. It doesn't matter if we produce 10 bushel or 1000 bushel. Those in control of the areas control the food. A lot of Africans have admitted the importation of food has worsened their condition. Created more tyrants and warlords. Lots of sustainable chinese farmers and their children moved to big cities in search of easier life and end up in same condition.

North Korea does not lack electricity due to their technology, it is their gov't.

that's all...
The topic was GMO grains in cattle feed and drifted to other things. Again....we or "the world" will not be able to continue to feed itself without the GMO products. And yes Mexicans, Chinese and Africans have abandoned the farms and moved to the city....so have millions of American "farmers". Much of it is little more than "coming out of the dark ages". No longer being hunter gatherers and living from day to day but actually having household income and becoming a community instead of part of an isolated "tribe".

Status
Not open for further replies.