GM grass linked to Texas cattle deaths

Help Support CattleToday:

cross_7":24czv0f7 said:
but still the fact remains tifton 85 produced prussic acid.
does any other bermuda do the same ?
Has much less to do with the grass than it does the situation with the cattle. Another group of cattle under different circumstances would probably not have been affected at all....folks graze and bale the stuff everyday and ahve been for years. Stressed cattle are much more susceptible to things like this. This calves had been thru he77 and back most of the day. Not a grass problem but a management problem. A little grain and a lot of hay would have prevented it OR put them back in the pasture they came out of.

TexasBred":evqxcswr said:
cross_7":evqxcswr said:
Has much less to do with the grass than it does the situation with the cattle. Another group of cattle under different circumstances would probably not have been affected at all....folks graze and bale the stuff everyday and ahve been for years. Stressed cattle are much more susceptible to things like this. This calves had been thru he77 and back most of the day. Not a grass problem but a management problem. A little grain and a lot of hay would have prevented it OR put them back in the pasture they came out of.

the thing that would concern me was that the tifton 85 produced prussiac acid.
maybe problem or maybe not enough to be concerned with, but if i had it i would like to know at what levels so i could manage it.
and i am sure there will be planty of testing and research done.

My tree hugging BIL on the west coast is loving this article, not off of this site. Trying to explain to all of his hugging friends over the FB is worthless.

cross_7":1hexk6et said:
TexasBred":1hexk6et said:
cross_7":1hexk6et said:

maybe problem or maybe not enough to be concerned with, but if i had it i would like to know at what levels so i could manage it.
and i am sure there will be planty of testing and research done.

true enough....they are pretty sure that the deaths were from prussic acid....
investigators seem to be zeroing in on the tifton....
but it is the first documented case since the grass was released something like twenty years ago.
Cause for alarm......not hardly.....
could there have been some volunteer sudex or something similar that contributed....
I don't know....we sort of have to hope that those doing the looking know what they are looking for.

and i am sure there will be planty of testing and research done.[/quote][/quote]

true enough....they are pretty sure that the deaths were from prussic acid....
investigators seem to be zeroing in on the tifton....
but it is the first documented case since the grass was released something like twenty years ago.
Cause for alarm......not hardly.....
could there have been some volunteer sudex or something similar that contributed....
I don't know....we sort of have to hope that those doing the looking know what they are looking for.[/quote][/quote]
i was thinking tha same, like someone else stated probably johnson grass not just tifton in the pasture

Tifton-85 grass is not genetically engineered
There is all sorts of misinformation on this point all across the internet, and I will no doubt be accused of being an alien lizard Illuminati priest for daring to say something is not GMO, but from all the experts I read on this issue, Tifton-85 grass is not GMO.

It is a hybridized grass, not genetically engineered. There's a huge difference in this. Hybridization means the grass was cross-bred with another grass to produce a sterile new strain with desired traits. Genetic engineering, on the other hand, means inserting genetic material into the DNA of the plant, often from an insect or animal, in order to generate a completely artificial phenotype expression, such as generating pesticides in a corn crop.

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/036302_cyani ... z1yu7jOuGl

The man actually had other fields of tifton that tested negative for prussic acid.

As far as I know T85 is not GMO but a hybrid between Bermuda and a SA grass, well it was not GM originally anyway.

Oh TB, our posts just crossed, you got in first :D

Ironically, prussic acid is a form of cyanide, more specifically hydrocyanic acid:

Prussic acid, or more precisely, hydrocyanic acid, is a cyanide compound that can kill animals within minutes of ingestion under the right circumstances. Cyanide interferes with the oxygen-carrying function in the blood, causing animals to die of asphyxiation.

http://www.extension.iastate.edu/CropNe ... rnhart.htm

inbredredneck":2ysjbu5i said:
hyprids are made by modifying a plants genetic makeup.

I do not believe this to be a true statement....

a hybrid is a cross between two existing entities.

a mule is a cross between a jackass and a mare....
a hinny is a cross between a stallion and a jennet...they are both hybrids....
there is no genetic manipulation.....
a beefalo is a cross between a bison and a beef animal....
there is no genetic manipulation....

tifton 85, if I recall, is a cross between bermuda and star grass....
there is no genetic manipulation

That's my understanding as well.

GM is genetically modified at the cellular level. In a lab.

Hybridizing is a breeding/pollinating improvement. A hybrid grass/tomato/corn etc, is really no different than a hybrid cow.

pdfangus":2hpuvudt said:
inbredredneck":2hpuvudt said:
hyprids are made by modifying a plants genetic makeup.

I do not believe this to be a true statement....

a hybrid is a cross between two existing entities.

Thankfully it doesn't matter what you think, the only thing that does not matter is this, if you manipulated the plants gene's in a lab, or in the field, you still modified the genes of the plant. It is as simple as that. The plant was genetically modified.

pdfangus":2mubnp9i said:

Next you are going to tell me they all have the same number and shape of chromosomes right?

pdfangus":ac611w2l said:
I am so far beyond trying to tell you anything that it is laughable....

go to heaven
Are you still upset about being taken to school by an inbredredneck about Nitrogen application? I apologize for teaching you.

chippie":yxkuxkdr said:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetically_modified_plant
wiki isn't real well known for truthfullness but you linked it,"the direct human manipulation of a plants genome". Exactly what I'm saying, anything hybrid had direct human manipulation, in the field or in the lab doesn't matter. It was manipulated.

Latest posts