glyphosate

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccr

ranch hand
Reaction score
recent lawsuits concerning roundup causing cancer seem to be working out for the plaintiff. looking at a part of a 234 page power point presentation of one the lawsuits there is a compelling presentation that roundup has caused harm and the plaintiff is entitled to relief.

don't understand how this is actually happening. we use roundup around here and don't have any problems that we know of. we are careful with it just like other chemicals we use. not sure how you can get cancer from something that you don't get on you or don't breath in. i see advertisements on the tv from lawyers for folks to join in a class action suit against the makers of roundup. there is a lot of money involved in this allegation.

today i read that nestle is concerned about residue from glyphosate in coffee beans. how does glyphosate get inside a coffee been? https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/nestle-steps-testing-after-finding-high-levels-dangerous-weedkiller-coffee-beans

will y'all quit using glyphosate because of concerns that it causes cancer?

I just cant see a way around not using glysophate on the big places. I don't use it anymore but did for 25 years and had a knapsack crack on me when i was a teenager and got drenched in it. Also had a hose burst and copped a good face full too. Aparently where it is used and crops are planted there is residue in the ground and that is how it gets into crops. They reckon most breakfast cereal has traces in it. I certainly wouldn't stop using it, i still haven't seen any evidence it causes cancer unlike 2,4,d where there is overwhelming evidence. I actually use basta now, find it really good for my situation, not as good as glysophate as it isn't systemic but that actually suits my situation spraying around nursery plants.

I use mixture of vinegar and salt to spray my fence rows..right after I do my morning meditation and yoga.and feed my free range chickens..

Most of these Plaintiffs have worked in lawn care and other industries where they have been exposed on a daily basis. The manufacuteres have known about its cancer-causing properties for years and have never told the public. Long sleeve shirt and pants along with a mask are the best protection, although I admit I don't always follow my own advice.

sstterry said:
Most of these Plaintiffs have worked in lawn care and other industries where they have been exposed on a daily basis. The manufacuteres have known about its cancer-causing properties for years and have never told the public. Long sleeve shirt and pants along with a mask are the best protection, although I admit I don't always follow my own advice.

If I were in the pest control business, I would be aware of the risks going in. folks are getting paid for their own mistakes.. Cigarettes,medicines.bankruptcy..credit cards,spilling hot coffee I just bought,,companies that offer income tax relief ...you see folks saying I owed the irs 100k..all I had to pay back was 10 dollars.. we once lived and died by our choices..good or bad..

By spraying any chemical designed to kill ...even with my limited knowledge I know before reading a warning label, that if it is potent enough to kill any life form..that it would more than likely, be hazardous to my personal health in one way or other..absorbed through skin, inhaled..

I don't worry about the long term effects of glyphosate exposure as I do the thousands of new ambulance chasing lawyers that come out of these liberal law schools every year

ALACOWMAN said:
By spraying any chemical designed to kill ...even with my limited knowledge I know before reading a warning label, that if it is potent enough to kill any life form..that it would more than likely, be hazardous to my personal health in one way or other..absorbed through skin, inhaled..

Not everyone is as smart as you are.

sstterry said:
ALACOWMAN said:
If I were in the pest control business, I would be aware of the risks going in.

But how do you know the risk if the company hides it from the public?

Common sense, aka good sense, would dictate that handling chemicals of any kind even if the label states that it is "organic", could possibly be hazardous to one's health or well-being and that one should dress with long sleeves, long pants, solid footwear, safety glasses, and possibly gloves. Or maybe its just me, that thinks that way. I mean no offense to anyone.

workinonit i agree. and something i hadn't thought about until after taking a pesticide course is that if you can smell the chemical then it's possible it could enter into your system.

I have used Roundup. There fore I am entitled to significant compensation. I haven't got sick or anything but I do wish someone would send me some significant compensation. Actually I don't care if it is the makers of Roundup who send me the compensation or someone else. I just like the idea of significant compensation. Sounds like the start of some good times.

Dave you need the hammer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yuyYMkGVQw

https://youtu.be/G3h9N-awOPk We have a area that has a high rate of cancer ..the Tn River valley ..most believe ,and it makes sense that this is the cause.I remember being told that some would be out side playing, or fishing on the river as kids.. and feel the mist from the DDT settle on them as the planes past over...

Dave said:
I have used Roundup. There fore I am entitled to significant compensation. I haven't got sick or anything but I do wish someone would send me some significant compensation. Actually I don't care if it is the makers of Roundup who send me the compensation or someone else. I just like the idea of significant compensation. Sounds like the start of some good times.

Hey, I'd take a couple of jugs a year for compensation.....maybe throw in a few other samples of stuff too.... :lol2:

TexasBred said:
I don't worry about the long term effects of glyphosate exposure as I do the thousands of new ambulance chasing lawyers that come out of these liberal law schools every year

It was labeled a possible carcinogenic by the world health organization. Part of the UN, that alone should make you suspicious. Lawyers started falling out of the woodwork like roaches.
Used by millions and jurisdictions in California awarded settlements on a case. Again used by millions for decades and we are on the fourth trail.
This is a shakedown. If you took the people that used versus those that didn't I bet you would have as many or more cases of cancer. One of the oldest recorded diseases of man.

https://usrtk.org/monsanto-roundup-trial-tracker-index/

There were a lot of men exposed to agent orange during Vietnam ...I know one man in paticular that had """prostate cancer" got a settlement from the government for it... Prostate cancer is one of the biggest threats to men..like breast cancer to women as we all know...this mans dad also had prostate cancer..

IMO, agent orange claims are among the top fraudulent claims made for disability right behind "Ah have a bad back" and PTSD, and the VA has made it very easy to do.

When Agent Orang exposure was first recognized, the service member had to 'prove' they had
1. Served in country during or after the spraying began.
2. Had been exposed to Agent Orange.
3. Prove their health condition was brought on by that exposure.

Now, all they have to do is show they served during that era in country or aboard ship on Yankee Station or Riverine Forces and have been diagnosed with 1 or more of the following presumptive illnesses:

VA has recognized certain cancers and other health problems as presumptive diseases associated with exposure to Agent Orange or other herbicides during military service. Veterans and their survivors may be eligible for benefits for these diseases:

AL Amyloidosis-
A rare disease caused when an abnormal protein, amyloid, enters tissues or organs

Chronic B-cell Leukemias-
A type of cancer which affects white blood cells

Chloracne (or similar acneform disease) -
A skin condition that occurs soon after exposure to chemicals and looks like common forms of acne seen in teenagers. Under VA's rating regulations, it must be at least 10 percent disabling within one year of exposure to herbicides.

Diabetes Mellitus Type 2-
A disease characterized by high blood sugar levels resulting from the body's inability to respond properly to the hormone insulin

Hodgkin's Disease-
A malignant lymphoma (cancer) characterized by progressive enlargement of the lymph nodes, liver, and spleen, and by progressive anemia

Ischemic Heart Disease-
A disease characterized by a reduced supply of blood to the heart, that leads to chest pain

Multiple Myeloma-
A cancer of plasma cells, a type of white blood cell in bone marrow

Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma-
A group of cancers that affect the lymph glands and other lymphatic tissue

Parkinson's Disease-
A progressive disorder of the nervous system that affects muscle movement*

Peripheral Neuropathy, Early-Onset-
A nervous system condition that causes numbness, tingling, and motor weakness. Under VA's rating regulations, it must be at least 10 percent disabling within one year of herbicide exposure.

Porphyria Cutanea Tarda-
A disorder characterized by liver dysfunction and by thinning and blistering of the skin in sun-exposed areas. Under VA's rating regulations, it must be at least 10 percent disabling within one year of exposure to herbicides.

Prostate Cancer-
Cancer of the prostate; one of the most common cancers among men

Respiratory Cancers (includes lung cancer) -
Cancers of the lung, larynx, trachea, and bronchus

Soft Tissue Sarcomas (other than osteosarcoma, chondrosarcoma, Kaposi's sarcoma, or mesothelioma)-
A group of different types of cancers in body tissues such as muscle, fat, blood and lymph vessels, and connective tissues.

Within the next 6 months, Bladder cancer, Hyper-thyroidism, and Hypertension (high blood pressure) are expected to be added to the list of presumptive illnesses that will automatically be presumed by the VA as been caused by Agent Orange in Vietnam Era veterans.
All it takes is 1.

(I qualify for 3 and maybe 4 on the list but have not applied or even signed up for VA benefits)

Workinonit Farm said:
Common sense, aka good sense, would dictate that handling chemicals of any kind even if the label states that it is "organic", could possibly be hazardous oto one's health or well-being and that one should dress with long sleeves, long pants, solid footwear, safety glasses, and possibly gloves. Or maybe its just me, that thinks that way. I mean no offense to anyone.

I agree, it should be common sense. It's interesting as how people apply common sense in these situations. Some people may be pro-health in other aspects of life, such as being against smoking, yet think it's crazy to take precautions when using chemicals, or vice versa. It reminds me of the Seinfeld joke that "dry clean only" is the only warning label people respect. They look at cigarette labels that warn it will kill you, give you cancer, and people just say screw it, I'll do whatever I want. Another label reads to not take this medicine and operate heavy machinery. People just say that's for people who don't know what they're doing. But you have something that is dry clean only and somebody starts to put it in the washing machine people will yell, "nooooo,
It's dry clean only, are you crazy and out of your mind?"

Status
Not open for further replies.