giving shot behind shoulder

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
I don't get on here much anymore because I still don't have a place to put any cattle on so it's kind of depressing-HA. Anyway, I have an older gentleman I'm friends with that has about 18 head and he doesn't like to give shots or ear tag them so he asked me the other day if I would give one of his cows some LA 200. I was glad to help, he had been talking to a long time VET who was telling him to give the shot right up behind the shoulder and pull up a tent of skin just like in the neck area. He wanted me to do this and I never had given shots there so I did, it seemed to work better and was a little easier.

I realize this might be old news to some and some of you might have been doing this for years but it was my first time behind the shoulder for a shot and it worked great. Any dangers that are not a problem in the neck area? The cow seem to tolerate it better, of course many of them don't seem to mind the neck area either.

One reason for giving them in the neck area is to have less impact on the cuts of meat. Less valuable area. All the BQA training suggests the neck area. I have seen vets to it in other areas, right or wrong they do it.

tom4018":2cfp125d said:
One reason for giving them in the neck area is to have less impact on the cuts of meat. Less valuable area. All the BQA training suggests the neck area. I have seen vets to it in other areas, right or wrong they do it.

Yeah, you're right but with a cow your keeping maybe it doesn't matter about that?

tncattle":306wycuu said:
tom4018":306wycuu said:

Yeah, you're right but with a cow your keeping maybe it doesn't matter about that?
Only if you let them die on the farm at sometime they would be slaughtered.

tom4018":2i5xznca said:
tncattle":2i5xznca said:
tom4018":2i5xznca said:

Only if you let them die on the farm at sometime they would be slaughtered.

Well, that's true. :nod:

This came up on here a few months ago. I cannot remember who siad it but it can be easier to put shots in areas other than the neck since they have more mobility of the neck unless the head is fastened down. I think that thread also said you could vaccinate behind the shoulder or in the flank. Someone on the previous thread said the flank is the easier as you can pull it out and get to it. Also, in the lose flank area, there is no meat affected. But that is for SQ shots. IM shots were still recommended to be given in the neck. This is my memory.

I give all sub-q shots just behind the front shoulder. Much more active area and IF it causes a knot to form it is not as noticeable. IM shots I still give in the muscle right behind the hip bone. Not the recommended place to give it but very little meat affected regardless and much easier for me.

Latest posts