shoulder injury

Help Support CattleToday:

garnetann

Reaction score
I have a 3 year old cow, saw her limping, after checking her feet, got her in the chute and saw something, but not high up, more like what I would call the shoulder. Looked like a lump on her shoulder, almost looks like swollen, but feels harder, like maybe it is out of place. We pressed on it, but could not feel anything. She is eating and walking around, but not running any races. We are not near where we can have her x-rayed. I guess my question is if it is dislocated, will it go back in? Will it get worse? Maybe sprained or strained...No injury that I can see, no bull in with them, and her calf is about 6 mos old. She is an awfully sweet cow, gentle as a kitten. Would some banimine help? I am going to have the vet come out, but probably won't be until monday.

vet said leave her be for now. is elbow not shoulder, banimine might make her feel better but should heal on its own

I think it's reasonable to keep an eye on her for now.. Banamine would help her out though.
Don't they always get hurt on the weekend (usually a long weekend if possible)

We had a similar incident with a bull last year. Only he wouldn't even put his foot flat on the ground. We put him in the working pen to limit walking and kept feed and water nearby. It took him every bit of 3 1/2 months, but he went back to normal. Heck, he was breeding cows like nothing ever happened this winter. We almost hamburgered him after 45 days... glad we didn't.

garnetann":3f9b5jh7 said:
vet said leave her be for now. is elbow not shoulder, banimine might make her feel better but should heal on its own

That a pretty good knot...she looks skinned up pretty good around it,are am I seeing things??? Can't trust my eyes anymore...

Latest posts