getting started

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have a few questions on how to get started. I am looking to have a few cattle as a hobby and for a little extra income, not as a career. I currently have about 24 acres of pasture to work with.<p>What type of equitment do I need?<p>What type of cattle should I raise?<p>How many cows to how many Acres?<p>How much is too much for a hobby?<p>Water?<p>What type of feed? (to grow/to buy)
<br>
<br><hr size=7 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

As most will say - <br>the answer to you questions vary greatly depending<br>on your location.<p>Best place to start is your County Extension Agent. <br>they can tell what are the standards in your area for<br>raising cattle..<br>Second - check out the feed lots & auctions to see <br>what sells - either join the groups or raise something<br>that no one else sells. Pure Breed - Unique, exotics etc<p>Start small, learn and grow - cheaper and more enjoyable<br>good luck<br>alex<br>
<br>

<br>: What type of equitment do I need?<br>Just some suggestions: A barn with calving stalls(if you are in a cold climate), a squeeze chute or head catch for working your cattle, a corral, some sort of self watering system, (pond, automatic waterer, etc.), a mineral feeder, bale rings(for big round bales) & your normal assortment of medical supplies that we all accumulate.<p>: What type of cattle should I raise?<br>We chose Murray Greys for our small operation because of the gentleness, easy calving, quick gain & great meat. We have found that the demand for them is greater than the supply in our part of the country.(central Missouri.) Take a look at them at the link below.<p>: How many cows to how many Acres?<br>Check with the local extension office for the stocking rate for your area.<p>: How much is too much for a hobby?<br>We have cut down to 11 mother cows on our 10 acres. Too many more than that would be too much for me to handle by myself. My husband is an Electrician, so doesn't have time to do more than put out the big round bales & fill my feed containers for me. He fixes fence as needed, too.<p>: Water?<br>Freeze proof Automatic Waterer if you are in cold country.<p>: What type of feed? (to grow/to buy)<br>We feed large (1000-1500#) bales of fescue/clover mixed hay. That is the easiest & most economical means of feeding. We only feed grain to our weanlings.<br>I hope this is of some help, Darla *.~<br>
<br>
<ul><li><a href="http://members.xoom.com/Star_K/">Star K Ranch Murray Greys</a></ul>

[email protected]

Latest posts