Getting rid of rats

Help Support CattleToday:

MULDOON

Reaction score
Where the Stars & Stripes ,, And the Eagle fli
Found out a pretty neat way to get rid of rats. ( We can't poison them, because my wife is afraid her chihuahuas wileat poison)

Take a 5gallon bucket fill it half way with water,put it near where your feed is, rats fall in , can't get out,,then they drown.
Happy end of story ;-)

Youngest daughter is very allergic to cats , and besides that I hate cats.

Muldoon, I bet you've been staying plenty busy making hole. Up in the Barnet Shale area? Speaking of rats, how's your little potlicker at chasing or killing rats? I think Chacho is his name isn't it? ( Your "cattledog" that fits nicely inside a boot ). I fondly recall that picture -- really liked it. :)

We try not to let him out unsupervised,afraid that he might get caught by a snake,owl,hawk,or buzzard,,,or get beat up by a rat :lol:
He is smaller then a rabbit, but if my 6 year old daughter is sleeping on the couch , and I try to pick her up to put her in bed, that little dog will growl and act like he wants to tear my arms off. I really need to video tape it.
He is very protective of her.

Muldoon,

In stead of dealing with the dead rats in the bucket of water, why not just put out some rat poision in a place that the cats & dogs can't get too? We use the hard yellow stick like stuff we get from the hardware or feed store. I believe it contains warifin which thins down the rats and mice blood so they just die with almost no smell. In my barn I store a couple of 50 year jeeps and place this poision behind the dash and under the hood. The rats & mice eat the poision and not the wires,seats, etc...

Nowland Farms said:
Muldoon,

In stead of dealing with the dead rats in the bucket of water, why not just put out some rat poision in a place that the cats & dogs can't get too? We use the hard yellow stick like stuff we get from the hardware or feed store. I believe it contains warifin which thins down the rats and mice blood so they just die with almost no smell. ..
I'm concerned that the dogs will find the dead rats , eat them , or just chew on them, and then get poisoned themselves.

MULDOON":ql7486ex said:
Nowland Farms":ql7486ex said:
Muldoon,

In stead of dealing with the dead rats in the bucket of water, why not just put out some rat poision in a place that the cats & dogs can't get too? We use the hard yellow stick like stuff we get from the hardware or feed store. I believe it contains warifin which thins down the rats and mice blood so they just die with almost no smell. ..
I'm concerned that the dogs will find the dead rats , eat them , or just chew on them, and then get poisoned themselves.
Most commercial Mice and Rat poisons are 'One Kill'. In other words, if a Dog or Cat eats a dead mouse, it wont harm them.We use one called Havoc. Has amazing results.

I had field mice and my feed room and I took my oldest Rat Terrier in there to clean 'em up. She worked until dark and we started the next day. She worked until she got tired and I let her daughter take over. They killed about 50 mice all together and I haven't been plagued with them since. Plus, it's just plain fun to see a terrier at work! They work equally well on rats, coons, and possums.

J. T.":1sgkxkb3 said:
I had field mice and my feed room and I took my oldest Rat Terrier in there to clean 'em up. She worked until dark and we started the next day. She worked until she got tired and I let her daughter take over. They killed about 50 mice all together and I haven't been plagued with them since. Plus, it's just plain fun to see a terrier at work! They work equally well on rats, coons, and possums.

JT, my nephew has a Jack Russell that my wife and "Dog sit" on occasions. He is the best! A rat killing machine!

If I take him to the hayfiled when I'm cutting he will catch those field mice and pile them up next to my truck and wait for me to show up. He sits there like............look what "I" got!!!

MikeC":ie11493l said:
J. T.":ie11493l said:

JT, my nephew has a Jack Russell that my wife and "Dog sit" on occasions. He is the best! A rat killing machine!

If I take him to the hayfiled when I'm cutting he will catch those field mice and pile them up next to my truck and wait for me to show up. He sits there like............look what "I" got!!!

I agree on the Jack Russells, neighbor has one you never go over there that it doesn't have some kind of rodent on the porch. I have seen mice mole's rats squirrels and rabbits.

JT What is your bloodlines on your Rat Terriers? I have Decker lines and boy they do a job on mice here. They don't eat them just kill them.

Put your rat bait/poison in a piece of 3 or 4 foot long metal or pvc pipe that is too small for the dog or any other animal you care about to get into. I've did it before in a chicken coop and it works great.

Found one of my dogs before eating on a dead rat that had been poisoned, called the vet to ask if I needed to take the dog in, vet says unless he has ate 10 or 20 not to worry. He was a much bigger dog than your dog, but still it don't sound like your dog is out and about that much on it's own.

J

dream catcher":2c4ucnyi said:
JT What is your bloodlines on your Rat Terriers? I have Decker lines and boy they do a job on mice here. They don't eat them just kill them.
I have two young dogs that have Decker in them. The others are of my own breeding. I've been breeding them for 20 years and I like the big type Rat Terrier. There are people who are trying to ruin the breed by breeding Chihuahua sized RT's. A Rat Terrier ought to be a 15 + lb. dog IMO. My Decker dogs came from Dennis Eiland in Opp, AL.

Get some Guineas! They will take care of the rats! And ticks and all the other pests and bugs.! And they dont destroy a garden like chickens do. :)

RebelCritter":2km1ngzr said:
Get some Guineas! They will take care of the rats! And ticks and all the other pests and bugs.! And they dont destroy a garden like chickens do. :)
My Guineas must come from the demented strain. They know when the strawberries are the ripest. Tomato's same thing.
But I've never seen them take on a house mouse let alone a field rat. But i don't spend any time watching these wack-o's.
Have seen them harrass the bull snakes. I'd always heard they would kill a snake, but the snake always seems to have a mole hole, tree hole, or another hidey hole handy cause they escape. Probably the racket drives them underground.

EIEIO":1mgj6x6k said:
Put your rat bait/poison in a piece of 3 or 4 foot long metal or pvc pipe that is too small for the dog or any other animal you care about to get into. I've did it before in a chicken coop and it works great.

Found one of my dogs before eating on a dead rat that had been poisoned, called the vet to ask if I needed to take the dog in, vet says unless he has ate 10 or 20 not to worry. He was a much bigger dog than your dog, but still it don't sound like your dog is out and about that much on it's own.

J

Had a skunk in my shop that we couln't get out. Poured a large box of mouse poison( the whole box of pellets) into a bowl and left it out. Nest morning the bowl is empty,waited till the next morning to go in and check. Little green piles of skunk diahrea all over the shop, skunk was fine. Frustrating but funny as hell. Now I had a skunk to catch,and all these little messes to clean up.

my grandfather was talking the other day about how he remembers when one man in the community made a few side dollars getting rats out from under your corn crib (this is where you used to store ear corn until the shelling) Anyways, the man had some type of weasel that he would send down in a hole and the rats would scatter. You needed some people standing around hitting them with sticks because if the weasel ever caught one he would get the taste of blood and go to sleep. Just thought that was funny. anyone ever here of a rat-killing weasel??

my friend and I have has rat problems around our barns and chicken houses. last spring we got togeather with her son Ty {13 yr} got the pellet guns and flash lights. went "ratt'en" we slayed them LOL it was a pretty wild time..go from the barn to chicken house and then back.couple times thought i was gonna silde down the hill to keep a crazy rat from running over meLOL jane and i were laughing about not too many moms would take there kids "ratt'en.. we were out till about 11 that night onthe big hunt. thined them out and give Ty something to do.. last fall i wacked four young rats with a 2x4. when i would feed the mules they would hear the corn hit the pans and you could hear then squeeking and sneak out under the manger and pick up scraps. i told doug i was gonna wack them he told me it wouldnt work,,after a few days feeding and standing inbetween the mules eating they would come right out and run in ft of me. i placed a peice of corn on the ground in front of squatted down inbeteewn the mules with my peice of 2x2 cocked. got 4 lol ,shouldn't of told me it wouldnt of worked LOL ..i guess that pretty much says "it dont take much to intertane me" LOL Rose

3 or 4 years ago my daughter brought home rabbits I couldnt stand too see them in cages so I told her to turn them loose ---an old euopean guy told me rabbits keep rats away and I believe hes right because since those rabbits came I havent seen a rat ---we have a tree line behind the yard they stay in there cats dogs and whatever keep their numbers in check as it stands now if I lost all the rabbits Id go get more

Latest posts