Getting Horse back into condition

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus Cattle Girl

Reaction score
I have a quarter horse mare, 7 years old, who I haven't rode or exercised for about 3-4 weeks. I was wondering if anybody knew of a program that could help me get her back into shape. She is a barrel racing horse. And before winter came, I was riding her for 2 weeks before after she had just healed from a strained suspensory ligament. I alos have a appaloosa mare, 6 years old, that I need to get back into shape too. So basically, I just need some advice on getting them back into shape. Thanks

Start slow and don't over do it. Watch that ligament closely so you don't aggrivate it and set yourself back.

I would start with just a short ride a day at a walk. You should be able to notice when she is ready to go further, keep it at a walk for a couple weeks.(maybe longer depending on her condition and how much she improves) This will just help to build up a little endurance, then increase the workout gradually.

Quick speed is very important for a barrel horse, but in my opinion endurance ranks up there too. Sure you can have a lightning fast horse but if she can only keep that top speed for half the pattern, then that speed doesn't do you alot of good. To judge if she is at the right level of endurance, see how hard she is breathing after you run the pattern. Yeah she will probably be breathing hard but how hard is the key. If she is really struggling you need to go back and work on her endurance. Get that squared away first, then work on her quickness. One of the best ways I have found to increase sprinting speed is to start standing still, bring her to her top speed in as short a distinace as you can, once she gets to top speed, stop, turn 180 degress, and go back to top speed (all in one motion), hopefully she will reach top speed in a shorter distance, stop, turn 180 degress, back to top speed.Try to stay in a straight line soshe has to turn 180 degress, this will make her work her hind end. The key is to get her to go from 0 to top speed as fast as she can each time doing it in a shorter distance. Don't over do it! I also drag a log if they allow me to to build up muscle but for a speed horse too much muscle is not always a good thing.

There are many many ways to get a horse into shape and I'm sure others on here will give you really good advice, but nobody on here can tell you exactly what is best for your horse, you have to judge that, all we can do is give suggestions. good luck.

Long, slow, regular distance work is the key for getting them in condition and building stamina.

That means a hack (walking, not running!) down the road five or six days a week. Start slow; one mile or two is all. Build that up to four, five, six miles or more a day. Yes, it takes time, but it's what is necessary to properly condition them - especially on your horse with a previous injury. Then take some of your distance work at a trot, just short stretches. Trotting works the horse harder and more evenly than a lope/canter. It should be obvious, but I'll say it anyway: never ever go faster than a walk on a paved road. Two reasons; one, they can slip very easily, esp with shoes on. Two, a faster pace on a paved road or any hard surface is extremely hard on their legs - bones, tendons, ligaments, etc. Don't do it.

Once they get in condition, walking - yes, walking! - up and down hills builds their hindquarter muscles. I've used the local sand dunes for my hill work, but only when they're in condition. Too easy to pull or sprain something in the deep sand if they aren't fit.

You have two horses right.If you can pony the one that was injured off the other.There is no weight on the injured horse you want to come back slow.Walk em for about 10 or 15 min. and slow jog,go to a long trot, watch their air,walk em down and slow jog,long trot slow jog,walk em home , but pay attention to the injured horse if any thing looks wrong quit and start home, the other is just out of shape and will come along,probably be a little body soar just like you or me when we are out of shape.Kill two birds at one time.Find some soft ground and pay attention to your horses when they get to breathing hard start back home and let them catch their air.Run some cold water on their legs from the hock and knees down for a few min. espically the injured leg cold running water not freezing water will do more than all the other things in the world, been around for a long time and cold water wraps on legs works good.It wont hurt to wrap snug not tight the horses legs espically the injured leg,when you lead and ride them.If they are stalled horses will take longer than turned out horses,and need to pay attention to your horse.Lead the injured horse till she gets pretty fit won't hurt a thing we have some older barrel and rope horses we ride very little,but pony them every day through the pasture.We have a 160 of wheat ground and 200 of grass.Soft ground,go slow, and watch your horse.Good Luck,Ronny

Both of my horses are turned out in pasture seperately. They each have a 5-acre lot to graze on. They each get about 7 pounds of hay a day. So they get to walk around quite a bit and my appaloosa is always running around her piece of pasture.

Looks to me like all you need to do is go to riding and leading,if the App.will go for it, turned out horses will do a lot of exercise,and are easer to get fit than stalled horses.And soumd like you have a little bit of room and maby a good dirt rode.Just watch you injured horse.If show sighs of getting to soar back off.A horse will tell you when to go to the next step if you will pay attention.To many people today want it to happen now.It wont.Horses are not trucks.Go get em, Ronny

Latest posts