Getting buckets apart

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
Have some plastic buckets I have had stored for a few years, any tips or tricks on how to get them unstuck from each other. I would hate to send them to dump.

Thanks,
Alan

Two guys pulling.
Tap the edge.
WD-40
Bigger hammer.
Give up. :lol:

I pick them up a local bar-b-que rest. Pickles and other food products come in them. For a while he tried to sell them but he had way to many so now I get them for free.

I use my air compressor. I have one on those little blowers that has about a 5 inch extension tube on it. Just slide it in between the buckets and give it the air. My boys refuse to pay attention to which buckets not to stack together because they ALWAYS stick together, so I do this quite a lot. :roll:

One person holds the stack of buckets - another person holds the top bucket - and twist in opposite directions. Always works for me and we get used to get this a lot when we stacked up the buckets to go to a show, until I got smart and started putting baling twine in between each layer - works like a charm they never get stuck.

But yeah, the key is to twist.

When you get them loose, put a little mineral oil on the outside before you restake them. It works great to get them apart the next time. You can also put mineral oil on your wooden cutting boards to keep them from drying out (type for the wife because it will length the life of the wooden cutting board).

duct tape on the outside of the buckets
the tape stops the vacuum between the buckets

we use 5 gal buckets to haul the dead out of the chicken houses
1.gif

we had a couple that split down the side - wrapped duct tape around them for that and this solved the bucket sticking problem too

with the buckets upside down, step on the handle of the bottom bucket while pulling on the top one. don't pull hard enough to pull the handle off, but a constant pressure for a minute usually gets them apart.

Cut every other one and throw it away.

Load 357 mag. Shoot anyone who stacks your buckets together.

backhoeboogie":2b6uvmoh said:

That's a good one Backhoe. My wife did me a favor and stacked all my black plastic "tubs" that the molasses suppliment comes in. They turned into one solid mass of about 15 tubs. Finally had to burn them.

Earl Thigpen":23508s1r said:
backhoeboogie":23508s1r said:

That's a good one Backhoe. My wife did me a favor and stacked all my black plastic "tubs" that the molasses suppliment comes in. They turned into one solid mass of about 15 tubs. Finally had to burn them.

I don't know how many times people have tried to stack my buckets together. I'd get less mad if they'd punch me in the nose. Just leave them the heck alone! I use buckets for everything. I need them. You stack them together and you can bet on losing some.

People will walk into your barn and start stacking your buckets together. Go figure.

grab the top bucket by the handle and "swish" it back and forth the same way a washing maching agitates clothes while you tap (or have someone else tap) on the side of the bottom bucket gently. It will work sometimes. If not, submerge them into the water trough and hold them down if you're able with a large concrete block while you tap on them. I've seen this work also. (the bouyancy of the buckets on the bottom will force an air leak and break the suction between the buckets.)

We use them in the chicken house too. Nothing worse than trying to pull 2 buckets apart when its freezing outside makes me so mad and when I am about to give up here comes my hubby and one pull and they are apart. I will have to try some of your suggestions.

I have tried driving bull pins down the sides with no luck. Spud wrenches will reach all the way down and the buckets still won't come apart. You can even fill it with water once the spud wrench is in there. No dice. All you can do is cut the bottom bucket at the lip and hope the crack doesn't prorgress all the way down. It will. Eventually.

Don't know where all this twist and turn info comes from. If that works, I'd say the buckets aren't truly stuck together.

I once tried the oxygen from my oxy/acetylene rig since 150 psi compressed air wasn't enough. The oxygen blew up the bucket.

This is "an ounce of prevention" thing. NEVER stack 5 gallon plastic buckets together, unless you have the Homer type from Home Depot.

Latest posts