If you're getting ice..........................

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
On your steps and sidwalks sprinkle kitty litter on it as ice is forming. Gives you a rough texture to walk on and not slip and bust your butt.

How much ice and snow did you get Dun? We have a very thick layer of ice, and about 5 inches of snow on top of that. Even the hubby got called off work, and that has only happened one other time in the 7 years he has worked there. He works in Cassville.

Fire Sweep Ranch":3ui3u1c2 said:
How much ice and snow did you get Dun? We have a very thick layer of ice, and about 5 inches of snow on top of that. Even the hubby got called off work, and that has only happened one other time in the 7 years he has worked there. He works in Cassville.
We got reaally lucky. About 1/4 inch of ice and 3-4 inches of snow on top of that. They were claiming we would get some 8 inches, dodged that bullet anyway.
It's belly deep on a weanie dog!

jedstivers":273xioq8 said:
dun":273xioq8 said:
On your steps and sidwalks sprinkle kitty litter on it as ice is forming. Gives you a rough texture to walk on and not slip and bust your butt.
Or oil dry. Cheaper and in 50 lbs bags.
Oil dry is what I use the kitty litter for.

Even cheaper is ash from your wood stove.. really works well and a little goes a long way.. just watch for the nails from those old 2x4's you burnt!.. you'll usually hear them hit the ice though

Nesikep":o5na5wdn said:
Even cheaper is ash from your wood stove.. really works well and a little goes a long way.. just watch for the nails from those old 2x4's you burnt!.. you'll usually hear them hit the ice though

...or sand.

Rafter S":1v1vsf7p said:
Nesikep":1v1vsf7p said:

...or sand.
It would need to be awfully coarse sand or it would just be imbedded and covered by the ice. cinders work real well, that's what they use on the roads arond here. Ashes work good, but they really shine when you have just a peak of sun. The darker surface causes the ice/snow to melt a lot faster.

dun":3cal3mgb said:
Rafter S":3cal3mgb said:
Nesikep":3cal3mgb said:

...or sand.
It would need to be awfully coarse sand or it would just be imbedded and covered by the ice. cinders work real well, that's what they use on the roads arond here. Ashes work good, but they really shine when you have just a peak of sun. The darker surface causes the ice/snow to melt a lot faster.

I guess that's right. I was thinking about down here when we get a thin film of ice on porch steps once every 3 or 4 years. I don't know what I was thinking; nobody from southeast Texas should be posting about how to handle ice. ;-)

They use sand on icy roads up here, should work on steps or sidewalks too I would think.

The very few times we had ice (last winter) I just used ice cream rock salt mixed 50/50 with my livestock loose salt. Loose salt is dirt cheap. Seemed to work ok---probably make every nail and screw in my deck and steps rust out a lot sooner, but I didn't have to weed eat or edge the grass around the bottom of my steps last spring or summer.

The problem with sand is unless you have some prepared, you're probably not going to be able to dig any out when it's all frozen.
I found ash just give the ice enough of a texture you don't fall on your arse, and tires will grip it well.. I don't think it would do much good for hooves though

We have a coal burning power plant nearby. That county uses the residual from the coal on the roads. They have different gradients and sell it to the asphalt shingle manufactures. Bag some as "Black Beauty" for blasting metal. Works great on ice.

Cinders seem to work the best, but I don't know if they're available other places like they are here. I can just stop at the township house and load the truck up. With just a light sprinkle we can drive up my driveway, that looks like a ski slope, with 1" of solid ice underneath.

Rafter S":nk8af4dp said:
I guess that's right. I was thinking about down here when we get a thin film of ice on porch steps once every 3 or 4 years. I don't know what I was thinking; nobody from southeast Texas should be posting about how to handle ice. ;-)

I'm in north TX. Been hearing about how to drive in snow all week from the folks here from Boston or Pennsylvania. Some from Illinois. Mostly just been pulling on the vapor cig and listening. Finally asked one of them yesterday if he had ever been to Alaska. He said "No". Told him I lived there 5 1/2 years and know all about snow.

He was down there running his head to others again today. We listened to his rants.

They don't design our roads for ice. Curves right before a hill just aint good for having momentum to get up the hill. Don't care how good you are, when you are stuck on the road, you are stuck.

A line of cars in front of you can't get up the hill. You can't drive thru 'em. But I do get tickled when it is an "expert" who can't climb the hill.

Made it to work. Not many others did. Wound up doing a 15 hour shift. Made it home just fine. Solid ice much of the way.

Named'em Tamed'em":h54ubsz2 said:
Just don't put salt on your concrete, it will pit it out and make it spall. :2cents:

Good advice.

We build a new house about 20 years ago and I must have been the only person in Minnesota that did not know this. First time the sidewalk was covered in ice, I threw some salt on it. The next spring our sidewalk looked terrible and everyone asks me "what were you thinking?"

Latest posts