Getting birth weight on new born calf

Help Support CattleToday:

KYFarmKid

Reaction score
I am just getting started in the registered angus business, I have been helping my dad with his commercial cow-calf my whole life but recently purchased my first registered cow. I am hoping to have my first calf crop this fall (3-4 calves). My question is what is the best way to go about collecting their birth weight and tagging the calf? They will be born in a 1/2 acre lot with easy access both the barn and cattle working pens/chute.
I realize that some farms just estimate these weights, but I am not very good at guessing weights, and for the accuracy of my own records I would like to get an actual weight.
Also is there any shots you would recommend giving them at birth?
Thank you for the help!!

You need an accurate weight to turn in to the breed association. (Not a guesstimate.) I will take a regular people scale out and place it on a board, weigh myself, then weigh myself holding the calf. There are weight tapes that you can purchase through Valley Vet (or others) that are fairly accurate. They measure around the top of the hoof at birth. Then there are various light duty hanging scales that you can purchase also. So you have a few options. You need to do it within a few hours after birth if the cow will let you.

Vaccines- I use Inforce 3 intranasal (Respiratory), Oral Rota Corona (Scour protection), and either Multi min or Muse injection. I treat the navel with Iodine and you can tag then also. I do this as quickly after birth that I can, without causing any issues with mamma cow. Some times you can just pull the calf right under the fence to get it done. :D

BTW-Do all this before that calf knows that it can run like a gazelle and you can do it in an open field. I try to take someone else with me to watch my back for mamma cow. Mine are all good at this point though. I just take them some grain or hay to keep them occupied.

I bought a hand held digital luggage scale that goes to about 120 lbs. I rigged a wide web strap to it. I wrap the webbed strap around the chest of the calf. Hook on the scale and pick him up like a suitcase. The scale calculates pretty quick. If momma is feisty I put a hay ring over the calf and work inside it.

branguscowgirl":3ayj83s4 said:
You need an accurate weight to turn in to the breed association. (Not a guesstimate.) I will take a regular people scale out and place it on a board, weigh myself, then weigh myself holding the calf. There are weight tapes that you can purchase through Valley Vet (or others) that are fairly accurate. They measure around the top of the hoof at birth. Then there are various light duty hanging scales that you can purchase also. So you have a few options. You need to do it within a few hours after birth if the cow will let you.
I guess that would work ok for you Brangus Cowgirl and your girlish figure, but for many of us men, our own weight + the calf's weight easily exceeds the "people scale" capacity. My neighbor ran across a hanging butcher's scale at a flea market for $60 (0-250lbs) that works pretty good. Been looking for one myself so I don't have to go borrow his.
And you're right--at 2 days, they ain't nothing but legs and lungs, and I thinks some of mine will make a whitetail deer wonder what just blew past it around 100mph--and they can turn on a dime running full bore.

You can find a bathroom scale that goes to 400lbs easy enough. Even a big 120lb calf gives you 280 lbs to work with for yourself. They're less than $30 up here. Any bigger than that I guess you can get one for each foot. :lol:

You can get a "game scale" very reasonable that should do the job. A couple of horse cinches make a good "harness". One right behind the front legs, one right in front of the hind legs, put all the rings over the hook on the game scale and lift.

We use a sling and a hanging scale. Put the sling around them, attach it to the scale and pick the scale up. Easy peasy.

Latest posts