Getting a newly weaned calf to eat feed.

Help Support CattleToday:

tnmorcat

Reaction score
Bought a heifer from a friend. Heifer was on grass with mother up until he delivered her to me and has never seen feed. By the time I wean my calves they are already eating feed because I feed the cows a little every day so I have not had this happen. Tried to feed this heifer but she has not touched the feed yet. How long does it normally take for a calf to figure out what feed is? I have her in with a smaller weaned bottle calf that belongs to my neighbors. The smaller calf is eating feed but not much. They have some grass but I want them eating feed good so that I can move them to a larger pasture and be able to get them up easier if I need to. Any suggestions?

On older calves you can get them to start by using a good sweet feed (its like candy ) then incorporate you feed with it after they are eating it.

Pretty sure the weaning is not the right time. Wean when the signs are in the knees.

Like BB said, I have mixed starter with really good hay about 50/50 and had good results. Good smelling alfalfa will get their attention quick. Get them coming to that feeder and taper back on the hay.

My neighbor has several pans of feed out for his calf. Most of the feed is the same cow feed that I use but one pan has some cracked corn mixed in. The cracked corn has been nibbled in but we don't know if that was one or both calves. I know they are both eating grass. My calf is not bawling much, just hanging out with the other calf. The guy I bought her from got the time to move her on the 15th, so I didn't get much input on when to wean her. I pulled up the almanac (online) and it said the 16th was a good day to wean.
This is her

Yeah. The 15th was good sign. Just keep it in front of her free choice. She'll take to it. If the one you are speaking of is pictured that's a nice looking heifer.

I just pulled two on the 12th. They are eating the pellets pretty good, but they have nice grass also. Plus a roll of 2nd cutting hay from last year.

fitz

If they haven't had it before, I prefer to feed them twice a day rather then free choice. The other calf will get exceited and that in turn should get the heifer intersted in what it's eating that is so exciting. Once they are eating it good, then free choice should work better

The calves I wean are rarely introduced to grain prior to weaning. But, after about three days and they see me coming, they start bawling. They get it, and when they do, they make a horrific ruckus out there!

She is eating the feed now. That is a picture of her and thanks for the compliments. I am a beginner and saw her in a friends herd and asked if I could buy her. So I picked her out myself. Glad I didn't make a bad pick.

Dogs and Cows":257f5jyo said:
Can I ask what you guys mean when you say "sweet feed"? I am trying to get my calves to use a home made creep feeder. I am simply using a beef cattle pellet. The oldest calf is starting to use it...but the other 2 don't seem interested. Would a sweet feed be better? Thanks!!

Tim
Sweet feeds have molasses for palatability. Once they get started you can quit using the sweet stuff. A lot of calves don;t take to straight pelletized feed.

I agree. Calves do not like pellets. Barley, Corn and molasses is easiest to start with. They call it "wet cob."

She does look like a nice heifer. Good choice!