Getting a horse in the Tralier

Help Support CattleToday:

showme

Reaction score
I got a 2 1/2 year old filly. She works real good, you can do anything you want with her. But there is one problem with this horse. She does not get in the trailer I got her as a Christmas present this past Christmas when we got her home a month after we tryed to load her up she was kicking, pawing and ever thing you could emagine. Then she broke the rope. After trying about 1or2 tiimes a week. Any body have advice to help me out on this.

I never try to teach a horse to get in a trailer - I pen the horse, block the trailer real good in the pen - put water in the trailer - no where else - and leave them be.

After a few days they get thirsty and go for water.

After a week they go in and out no prob - no effort on my part.

Bez

Sorry Bez, not disagreeing to disagree, I hate to "bait" a trailer with food or water or treats to get a horse to load. It doesn't make a horse feel safe in a trailer, it just says water is in the cave and I'm not thirsty.

I watched a Clinton Anderson siminar a few years ago and tried his method on a few of my horses, it works great. First make sure the trailer is hooked to the truck because they do bounce in and out of it. Set the trailer somewhere with plenty of room so you can longe the horse behind the open trailer. In a nut shell you longe the horse behind the open trailer (with a longe line, not a lead rope and secure,tie, the doors open) pushing the horse with the whip, don't hit the horse, hit the ground behind the horse, when she is moving away from the trailer and taking the pressure off when she is going toward the trailer. So, when you're longing your filly it's an unpleasant time when she is making the half circle away from the trailer and easy time whenever she is going toward the trailer. After a few minutes of this, as she is going toward the trailer while longing, you step toward the trailer as if you want her to run right in... she won't but let her stop and be as curious as she wants, smell the trailer or what ever, for as long as she is curious. As soon as she stops being curious about the trailer and looks away move her off easy until she is moving away from the trailer (in the same direction you always go in) and put pressure on her again until she goes half way around and let up as soon as she starts the circle toward the trailer. Keep this up she will soon get the idea the trailer must be the safe area because nothing bad happens when I go toward it and pay attention to it. Pretty soon she is pawing at it, stepping on it and putting feet in it. Don't spook her at the trailer let her take her own time getting feet on on off, just remember to push her going away from the trailer when she is not interested in the trailer anymore, again don't put pressure on her when you move her off the trailer because she is no longer curious, wait until she is moving away from the trailer. Make sure the floor of the trailer is not wet or slick because all of my horse have ran and jumped into the trailer, not joking, and one went down in the trailer, taking the training back many days, try to keep them in a trot going toward the trailer. When they do get all the way in make sure you reward her, BE SAFE, but when you feel comfortable and safe get in the trailer with her and pet her and ease her mind, start looping the line threw a tie down in the trailer, don't tie her until she is comfortable with it. It may take 1 to 1 1/2 hours the first day but after a few days you should be able to lead her in and tie her safely and comfortably.

Many ways to train a horse to trailer this way is easy on the horse and you and gives you quaility time with your horse. And it is amazing to watch it work. I have never tried it in a straight load, only a slant, but AI see no reason it wouldn't work in a straight load and even be safer for someone getting in with a nervous horse. Remember to be safe when you get in and reward her, turn her head towards you (if you are using a slant load) so she can't kick you or back over you.

Let me know if I can clearify anything for you, it's kind of hard to explain if you hav enever seen it done, but a lot of natural horseman use this type of method.

Good luck,
Alan

You are quite right about there being other ways - but I usually have enough things to do that I am not around to teach.

Be that as it may, the horses we own all load real nice - in fact by themselves if you want - and I never have to fight with them.

Loaded two unbroke horses last night - just pointed them in the right direction and on they went. Mind you they have been on and off at least 10 - 12 times a day for most of their short life. Sometimes when it rains / snows / sleets they sleep in it.

You operate differently and usually have a better way - I stand to learn.

Have a good one.

Bez

Thanks Bez, seems like I come across sometimes as if I want to argue the point, somtimes I do but most of the time not.

This post has got me thinking about how my horse all load different. The filly who kicks the trailer while it's moving loads like a dream, loves to load. I few years ago I bought a long yearling colt who had never had halter on let alone load, after working with him for an hour in the pouring rain, I got two other guys, two longe lines and a whip, he went in and we slammed the doors, he is also the one who went down in the trailer during training a few months later, as I posted earlier, he now loads but he works up a real sweat in a short period of time... a work in progress. My wife has a TB we bought as a 7 yr old, he loads great, but only if you have a longe whip in your hand, don't have to touch him with it just have to have it in my hand. I have a yearling stud colt who is a complete A hole (sorry it's just what he is "Jerk" is too nice for him) but he loads great, leads like and idiot, but loads great. He round pens great but he has a real "tude", as long as I'm the alpha partner we are fine he just needs reminded 3 or 4 times a week! (can't wait until he's a 2 yr old).

It's just a matter of spending time (if you have it) with the horse and learn thier personality and bond with your horse as the alpha. Your horse has to trust that you won't ask it to do anything to get it hurt.

JMO
Alan

Alan thanks alot I will try it for a few weeks if that don't work Bez I just mite have to use your suggestion.

Thanks again

I've always put a buddy in first then fed them in the trailer. I realize that baiting can have its drawbacks, but the thought is to get them over the initial fear of the cave. The buddy shows a youngster that it can't be that bad, and the feed rewards them when they do go in. Of course, somewhere along the way you've got to switch them from going in to get the feed to going in then being fed. When that time comes though, they're over any fear they might have. Its not THE way, its just A way, and out here you have to get out of the way of an open trailer door, or run the risk of being run over by horses trying to load.

I've always just set aside a little time each day, put the trailer on the pickup and a halter on the horse, lead the horse to the trailer and let him/her investigate. They will look, smell, and step in with thier front feet, then get scared and back out, look, smell some more, then step in a little farther this time, etc. Usually within about 15-30 minutes, they are in the trailer. I pet them and tell them what a good boy/girl they are, unload them and put them away. Same thing tomorrow, and the next day, etc. By the time it's time to go somewhere, they are right at home in the trailer.

Alan, while I'm not knocking your method, our horses are ranch horses and don't have the first clue about how to longe. Nor do I (or Dad) like torn up driveways/pastures/etc. I'm glad it works for you, but I think I'll pass.

msscamp":1doj0a22 said:
Alan, while I'm not knocking your method, our horses are ranch horses and don't have the first clue about how to longe. Nor do I (or Dad) like torn up driveways/pastures/etc. I'm glad it works for you, but I think I'll pass.

MS you have a good point, if your horse doesn't know how to longe the method is worthless. It sounds like you and I do it the same basic way, the longe just adds a little pressure on the horse and may speed up the training a little. But you don't force (scare) the horse to go in and it works well for you.

Alan

Alan's method is a good one. If you have drop down windows, those help alot. You can stand a buddy outside the window and have a treat ready for the horse when it loads, the horse isn't so claustrophobic with its head out the open window. The hardest part about loading is getting the horse to back out calmly and slowly, that step down off the trailer backwards is real hard for them. They either want to turn around (and get stuck or crush the handler) or they rush backwards.

Alan":11cyuyqc said:
msscamp":11cyuyqc said:

MS you have a good point, if your horse doesn't know how to longe the method is worthless. It sounds like you and I do it the same basic way, the longe just adds a little pressure on the horse and may speed up the training a little. But you don't force (scare) the horse to go in and it works well for you.

Alan

I'm not a big believer in force. That generally leads to a battle every time I'm trying to do that particular thing with them. It's so much easier to give them the needed time to become comfortable with the thing to be done, whether it's loading, spraying, or whatever.

My Dad wrote:
You said the Bad Words
just adds a little pressure on the horse

I try to not "pressure" a horse - horses tend to blow-up under pressure - Trust and Teach and Out-Smart the horse - yes I know it's hard for somepeople

In the 50's and 60's Catching Wild Horses in the deasert we had to use ropes to Force Them in a Trailer - I had a open air (No Top) single trailer with hooks and eyes on the sides, frount and back so we could Cross Tie a Wild One In and not hurt it or have it flip out.

At home, I've taught 100's of horses to load, always gentle with feed and water - even the wild ones - I use a gate and a panel to forum a V chute. The Cave as you call it becomes home - I've had horses us the trailer when it was raining

In my younger days I'd slam on the Brakes and Load a kicker in the Manger but I've grown older and gentler - I'll hobble a kicker/Pawer - sometimes frount and back - Breeding Hobbles work best - ad Hobbles on the frount legs - there's another trick, but some might miss use it and get hurt so I'll pass on that one

Story
I'd never breed a stud on the home ranch - I'd load them in a trailer and visit the mare. From times to Time my stud would get out - the quickest way to catch him was to open a trailer door and he jump-in

The old trailer I spoke of earier did not have a jack and had a drop down tailgate "Warren" (War On Oats) :heart: loved that old trailer - just drop the tail gate and he would run
and jump in - the toung would rear-up and sham down and he was ready to go.

I've always said that trailer were designed wrong - If given a choose most horses will ride backwards - - Get a Stock Trailer - turn your horse loose in it and see for yourself :shock:

Not to start a debate, but the word pressure is pretty common in horse training. One of the first things you teach a foal is to give to pressure. You want a horse to yeild to leg pressure. I would consider the word pressure to be a light touch or direction, not entering the realm of force. But I will conside that it's just my opinion and may not be in agreement with all.

Alan

as a horseshoer and sometime trainer, I use Dun's method.
when you are hauling other people's horses, you don't have time to train them to load. I put the trailer in the pen for a couple days and feed inside. haul day they just go in and I dive off. do what works for you. :cboy:

Old Dog/New Tricks":1jfmxsd5 said:
Pressure
Alan":1jfmxsd5 said:
pushing the horse with the whip,

is alot different than Leg Pressure

As I have said
I don't use the word Pressure when it comes to horses - as you may see - - it's to easly miss understood

I believe using the term "pressure" is pretty common these days, I explained in my earlier post how to apply the pressure and when to release it. Pressure and release is pretty basic in the type of training method I use (natural). We'll just have to disagree on this one.

Alan

Alan

Latest posts