gerdau barb wire

Help Support CattleToday:

Not sure what kinda wire ya be askin about, never heard that name.I usta like gaucho wire myself cause it be alot easier ta work with but lately I be changin all my perimeter fences over ta Redbrand 12ga 4 point cause I had too many deer hit gaucho wire at a dead run and break it. I wonder what everybody be pain for wire these days,a roll a 12g Redbrand be about $46 for 4 point here......george

My big problem with gaucho wire and the likes is that it seem to have a memory from he!!. I've seen where animals have broken it and it's come back and wound up around them like a boa constrictor.American wire may cost more but...Z

I have used the last Gaucho that I will ever buy.
12 gauge American for me from now on.

Is that that skinny crap with over long barbs that breaks when you look at it? Bought a roll of that when we first moved here and I think all but a hundred feet are still on the roll, back in the junk pile. When I see that stuff on some ranchette's new boundary fence, I just roll my eyes and think "you will regret it."

H R

I agree with you about the cheap junk wire, I had 2 rolls given to me and I don't even use it for cross bracing my corner post. I had it break on me while pulling it with one of the ratchet type pullers (another piece of junk) and it ripped my shirt into 2 halves. I sure am glad I was wearing the older 2X shirts that fall off of me now.

I've got to go the other way guys. I'll use Guacho before Red Brand any day. The Red Brand starts rusting real quick and the tensile strenght just does not seem to be as good. I've even gone to the Red Brand factory and spoke to them about this and did not get any good answers to the problems. The factory is only 35 miles from home and go by at least once a month.

I've used both and gaucho wire holds up better, doesn't sag, and is highly resistant to rust. Plus, a 40 lb. roll is a lot easier to handle in the woods, hills, and hollows that I have to contend with.

I have to agree with JT and angus guy. Have used motto/gaucho wire over twenty years.Eary expeiance was similar to some folks but overall I've had good results. Motto wire put up in spring of 1986 is still silver colored and sharp.12ga wire put up the same year is rusty and fragile( It was lower grade than Red Brand). I also like the lighter weight when unrolling alone. I have an unroller that fits in your hand I got at TSC. Also,you need to spend a little extra time making a good splice.