Genex Angus and Simi-Angus Sires ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Steve,
I've strongly considered using Graduate - 5/8SM-3/8AN - son of the great Shear Force bull , with ALC Big Eye as MGS. Looks like a good combination to me. Should make some good cows, with great udders - but milk will be high(there's a cost associated with that); steers should have good carcass. You could do worse...
We're currently using several Shear Force sons & grandsons in our program, and are pleased so far...and plan to 'stack' him a bit in coming matings.

Cole Creek Cedar Ridge? A lot to like about him; would probably make some solid, moderate-framed cows. Some Angus folks have worried about what looks like a white/gray tailswitch...but since you're considering SimAngus, I'm figuring you don't really care much what color switch he has.

Lucky_P":2dboikih said:
Steve,
I've strongly considered using Graduate - 5/8SM-3/8AN - son of the great Shear Force bull , with ALC Big Eye as MGS. Looks like a good combination to me. Should make some good cows, with great udders - but milk will be high(there's a cost associated with that); steers should have good carcass.

Bought 50 units and 35 were Graduate.

Will be interested to hear how those Graduate calves do when they hit the ground, Steve.
We're using several sons & grandsons of the Shear Force bull in our Simmental breeding program.(Singletary, Bettis, Pharoah, Shear Pleasure, All In); several others I'd like to sample - don't have enough cows to use all of 'em I want.
Next one up is likely to be Long's Damien - gets me some Shear Force and Lucky Man genetics in the same package.

We have some Cole Creek Cedar Ridge calves on the ground they are all solid calves. ( solid black to) Do you think the tail switch could be from his tail freezing? Don't laugh remember we live in Florida, I know when you freeze brand the hair comes back white so it was just a thought. We are really liking our SAV Resource calves.

Gizmom

I dunno, gizmom. Have seen two different versions of the same photo of the bull - one with the tailswitch 'colored in', presumably with PhotoShop.

gizmom":3pjrlq6h said:
We have some Cole Creek Cedar Ridge calves on the ground they are all solid calves. ( solid black to) Do you think the tail switch could be from his tail freezing? Gizmom

Up north we assume a white tail switch is from some Herford in the woodpile... :nod:

I will be honest until someone said something on this thread about the tail switch I had never noticed it, but when it was mentioned I pulled out my catalog and saw it for sure nuff. I still like the calves they are thick deep little suckers I wish I would have used him on some cows instead of just on first calf heifers.

gizmom

Lucky_P":1kgl7yjy said:
Will be interested to hear how those Graduate calves do when they hit the ground, Steve.
We're using several sons & grandsons of the Shear Force bull in our Simmental breeding program.(Singletary, Bettis, Pharoah, Shear Pleasure, All In); several others I'd like to sample - don't have enough cows to use all of 'em I want.
Next one up is likely to be Long's Damien - gets me some Shear Force and Lucky Man genetics in the same package.

Friend of mine owns Long's Damien. She said he was selling well online. We bought an angus bull from her the other day as she's moving to all Sim and or Sim-Ang bulls.

ousoonerfan22":3g5cal4d said:
What do you guys think of that Double Vision bull?
We used him lightly this year, only have about 10 calves out of him out of 4.5-5 frame PB Angus cows (used him to bring up their frame size some). They are stout calves, big hipped, big topped, and good depth as far as you can tell in a 3 month old calf. All came easily out of the cows, but one bull calf weighed close to 100lbs, and another bull calf weighed 95 - too high BW in my area to keep to sell as a yearling bull next spring. The other 8 averaged 78lbs. FWIW, we like the calves enough that we're AI-ing to him again this year, we're just not going to put him on any cows that have high BW to try to stay away from the 90+lb calves (personal preference since our bull customers tend to steer towards lower BW bulls).

Plan using GW PREMIUM BEEF 021TS, Graduate. and Tenacity on Hfrs they are all commercial 1/2 SimAng. Good or bad thoughts?

Love the Gateway bulls - don't know that I ever saw one I didn't want to use. Premium Beef would likely be good...I presume he's tested clean of AM & NH, with Precision 1680 close up behind him.
Have wanted to use Graduate (5/8SM - 3/8AN) - for the Shear Force and Big Eye behind him, but not at a point where I need the Angus infusion again.

Latest posts