Genetic Consistency

Help Support CattleToday:

Jovid

Reaction score
This is what I think is genetic consistency. Two bulls on the ends and three steers in the middle all out of the same bull. :D

rear_shot_2.JPG

The quality of your steers is really telling alot about your standards when it comes to keeping bulls intact.

Why was the one in the middle culled?

KNERSIE":wqzkvvxa said:
The quality of your steers is really telling alot about your standards when it comes to keeping bulls intact.

Why was the one in the middle culled?

That was a very tough decision to make. We only wanted to keep three to put on the bull test and I guess he drew the short straw. :lol:

We waited till they were 7 months old before we made that decision and now it appears they all would have made pretty nice bulls

that is sure nuff a nice set of steers/bulls.an they look tobe very uniform.an pretty even as far as weight goes as well.

Thats is a very uniform set of animals you got there.... kinda interesting that the two bulls on either end seem just a touch thicker. I guess the testosterone played a roll in that. I have always known that but never seen a direct comparison.

Angus In Texas":2ju3ewh8 said:
Thats is a very uniform set of animals you got there.... kinda interesting that the two bulls on either end seem just a touch thicker. I guess the testosterone played a roll in that. I have always known that but never seen a direct comparison.

the fact that they just came out of a growth test probably played the biggest role there.

KNERSIE":jjjiisqt said:
Angus In Texas":jjjiisqt said:

the fact that they just came out of a growth test probably played the biggest role there.

Ah didn't know that.

Nice looking bunch.

I applaud you for having the courage to make some selections and keep the best as bulls.

If a lot more folks castrated more bulls and stud horses, America would be a better place.

We make selections at weaning and then make more selections after the test. I am here to tell you that yearling bull off of the feed test eats real good.

Jovid-

This is an example of excellent genetics - not only of the sire, but the dam(s) as well. Are they AI'ed from the same donor, by chance?? It also proves the fact that good selections make good results! Optimal beef production is not a result of "Guessing and Hoping!"

Good job - well done, Jovid!

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":3llu04is said:
Jovid-

This is an example of excellent genetics - not only of the sire, but the dam(s) as well. Are they AI'ed from the same donor, by chance?? It also proves the fact that good selections make good results! Optimal beef production is not a result of "Guessing and Hoping!"

DOC HARRIS

Doc

They are from five different cows but the same sire. The bull on the left is out of a daughter to the dam of the bull on the right. The three steers in the middle are out of cows that are from different cow lines.

Jovid

Jovid":1902n7xk said:
DOC HARRIS":1902n7xk said:
Jovid-

DOC HARRIS

Doc

They are from five different cows but the same sire. The bull on the left is out of a daughter to the dam of the bull on the right. The three steers in the middle are out of cows that are from different cow lines.

Jovid
Jovid-

Consistent, uniform, constant HOMOZYGOSITY! This method of Beef Production is what results in $UCCE$$! These five examples are PROOF in themselves that a successful beef cattle breeder makes his own luck!

DOC HARRIS

Jovid,

You have a nice set of animals there. I agree that your selection for good genetics and phenotype are paying dividends. Those are very solid cattle you have pictured. The thickness in the hindquarters of the bull on the right is just what tickles my fancy.

Congrats.

EC

Latest posts