gender and gestation.

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Granted this is just a small sampling and is only based on the first 5 calves this year, but I sometimes think that gestation length based on gender is pretty much just a crap shoot.
We know all breeding dates and gestation length is based on 283.
2 days late bull
1 day early bull
6 days late heifer
6 days early heifer
4 days early heifer

dun

i try to guess and i am fooled alot, i have all steers and they were late, one heifer late too. some i don't have dates just checked by vet 2nd period or 3rd period. i only leave my bull 60 days so i have a time frame.
some cows heifer one year bull next, some only bulls.

dun Wrote
think that gestation length based on gender is pretty much just a be nice shoot.
I agree. Have had early ones that were bulls, and late ones that were heifers, and vice versa. It always seems the ones I want a heifer from have bulls and want bulls and get a heifer. But, in the end I'm happy to get strong and healthy whatever it may be.

Katherine

My experience has been that a cow delivering early usually results in a heifer ...and delivering late usually results in a bull. But of course there are exceptions to every rule, and the closer to their due date they are, the less that holds true.

I think there must be different gestation periods for different bulls? I AI'd to 5 different bulls last year. 106 cows, out of the first 26 they were all PFreds, except one Power Design bull calf.

I think some of the bulls with very low BW tends to have shorter gestation. When we used Hoffs Northlander all of the calves came a week early, bulls and heifers. Yet Nasin Hobo 79E who has a very low BW the calves tend to come on time. Gelbviehs have an EPD for gestation length. Some day I'll have to look at them and see if there is a correlation. I still think that as in most everything else with cows, it's a crap shoot.

dun

mgman":rnue0mj4 said:
My experience has been that a cow delivering early usually results in a heifer ...and delivering late usually results in a bull.
Yep, definitely same here.........about 50% of the time.

Latest posts