Gelbvieh

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Has anyone used Tabasco fomr ABS or any of their other red Gelbvieh bulls?

Thanks

i have a tabasco son that i use and the calves are outstanding, easy calving good quick growers. Can send you a pic of him. I really like what he brings to the table, i think you would be pleased with Tabasco offspring. :nod:

which other bulls are you interested in i have ethier seen them or some of there offspring....

dun,

Though I have not used any of the red Gelbvieh bulls from ABS, I've also been curious about them. Following are comments that I have heard from breeders that have used him.

Tobasco: Sires some really good, functional cattle. However, he isn't as consistent as other bulls, with some of his calves not being keepers...I don't recall what they didn't like about some of his progeny.

Sir Arnold: Old bull that has been in the ABS line up for lots of years...impressive EPDS. Being red and hetero polled limits his semen sales. The only negative I heard on this bull is that his daughters may have a little longer teats than what some would prefer. He has been on my short list for years, just hasn't made the final cut.

Top Brass: Though his CE and growth EPDs are adequate to good, a Gelbvieh milk EPD of 35 concerns me, and his carcass EPDs are not very good. He was sampled pretty hard by many Gelbvieh producers early on but they didn't seem to go back to him after their first calf crop. Like Tobasco, I've heard that he doesn't sire consistently good cattle.

I've thought of Roscoe form Bullbarn but the shipping eats me up. ABS I can get shipped free. One of my biggest concerns is frame size. BooBoo sired nice claves that are so far pretty moderate framed. BooBoo isn;t available anymore or I would use him again.

BooBoo is the only Gelbvieh bull we've used. We've got 2 of his yealring daughters out of commercial Red Angus cows and 1 heifer from a Polled Hereford cow from this year. The Herefords had bull calves, of course they;re red and the heifer is black.

use Arrowhead and get the semen from cattlemen's connection, or I can drive up to Hart farm and pick it up for you. The farm is only 50 minutes or so from my house and Bob keeps some at his home. But check out CC they have a great selection of gelbvieh sires

As most know I have used a lot of Kalina Moderator, really like that bull and he is a calving ease bull. As well I have used Boo Boo. Bought a cow that had a top brass bull calf, he turned out really nice and was sold as a herd bull to a neighbor. Really like that Dar National bull, would like to see pics of daughters if anyone here has any.

dun,

Though I know you would prefer ABS bulls to save on shipping you may want to check out RUP Rupple Yukon 301P. He is a red Bennett Ideal son that I have heard some positive reports about. I believe that Cattlemen's Connection in KS and Bull Barn Genetics in NE both sell his semen. He offers plenty of thickness and performance and should compliment the British based cows well.

We've got a fair amount of Bennett Ideal influence in our herd. Ideal sires cattle with plenty of rib, thickness, and growth, and his daughters milk well. If Yukon is like his daddy, he would be a nice alternative in a homo polled, red package.

Thanks for all the information. We're too far behind the curve for this year (everything was predicated on BooBoo) but now I'll have plenty of time to figure out hat we'll be doing next year

I have used numerous red bulls. I really got along good with JRI free Agent for a heifer bull. Calving ease was good Daughters were functional, plenty of growth and moderate framed.

Since becoming an ABS rep I have been using Top Brass, as well as Sir Arnold, on the red side. I used Sir Arnold on all my red heifers this spring and Top Brass on my Red cows the last two seasons. Those bulls both seem to work execellent for us. I really like the Top Brass Daughters, and bulls are sure easy to sell.

I am going to try the ASTRO bull this fall. He can be found at either cattlemens connection or bull barn.

As far as black bulls I really like the PURE POWER calves from ABS. They are definitely long and muscular, in a moderate frame, with excellent growth it seems. I have some that are about 90 days old now.

Any other bulls your interested let me know

The things that eliminated Top Brass are the marneling but mostly the milk. Twice the breed average from a fairly heivy milking breed seems a bit excessive

Can anyone tell me what the carcass would be like if using a red Gelbvieh or red Balancer on Hereford Cows? Probably lots of red meat but what about the grading? Thanks

wtrapp":1fwcz935 said:
Can anyone tell me what the carcass would be like if using a red Gelbvieh or red Balancer on Hereford Cows? Probably lots of red meat but what about the grading? Thanks

As always is the case it would depend on the two individual animals. The right Gelbvieh will have good marbling epd's the wrong one won't. Not all Herefords are marbling wonders but most will marble better than the Gelbvieh.

If you use a Balancer with good marbling epd's on a Hereford with the same you should get very good marbling. Are you going to make this cross for freezer beef or are you doing retained ownership through the feedlot?

3waycross":3fdmjxzu said:
wtrapp":3fdmjxzu said:

As always is the case it would depend on the two individual animals. The right Gelbvieh will have good marbling epd's the wrong one won't. Not all Herefords are marbling wonders but most will marble better than the Gelbvieh.

If you use a Balancer with good marbling epd's on a Hereford with the same you should get very good marbling. Are you going to make this cross for freezer beef or are you doing retained ownership through the feedlot?

I would be using this cross to market freezer beef. Currently I'm running straight Hereford cows and straight Angus cows bred to a Hereford bull. The baldie calves are a little bigger (live wieght) at slaughter time yet the Hereford calves seem to have a heavier carcass. I'm beginning to like the red color due to watching the Hereford cattle graze more in the heat than do the Angus cattle. The reason I'm asking all the question is that I'm going to change bulls next spring (had current bull 5 years) and I'm torn between Red Angus, Red Balancer or Red Gelbvieh. As you know individuals hear the word Angus and automatically think of the best when in fact if we see a carcass hanging in the cooler we don't know what the hide color was. The Balancer would probably give me just a tick of extra growth with the marbeling of Angus. I'm sure the straight Gelbvieh would give great growth.

To me at least it would be a no brainer. Find yourself a Red Balancer bull with some decent marbling numbers and good growth epd's and go for it. I believe your are right they will handle the heat vetter for sure. If you watch your epd's you should have no trouble finding one with some pretty good calving ease also.

One thing s for sure you should get some real nice red baldie replacements out of that cross. Just make sure he is homo polled so you don't have to fool with any horns.

3waycross":1lwsmhqa said:
To me at least it would be a no brainer. Find yourself a Red Balancer bull with some decent marbling numbers and good growth epd's and go for it. I believe your are right they will handle the heat vetter for sure. If you watch your epd's you should have no trouble finding one with some pretty good calving ease also.

One thing s for sure you should get some real nice red baldie replacements out of that cross. Just make sure he is homo polled so you don't have to fool with any horns.

Thanks 3way. You may be right about the red balancer and I agree on homo polled. Keep the red color add a tick of extra growth and keep the marbling.

Latest posts