Gelbvieh Folks: Landmark 377 & Goldrush Visa?

Help Support CattleToday:

gertman

Reaction score
Are these bulls homozygous black and homozygous polled? Any other info you would like to share about them please do so.

I believe both are homo black and homo polled. The visa cattle I have seen seem a little short on depth. They have plenty of length and muscle though. There has been some problems with cork screw feet once they get to be yearlings and on feed. Personally not a fan, good numbers but not my type.

Landmark has seemed to do a very good job. He adds performance and muscle. Cattle have good phenotype and great EPDS. We used a little of him this fall, seems the Bennett bulls are always fairly solid.

2 others i might suggest are coccoa and post rock granite.

These two will both be better phenotype and performance than visa, and can be used on heifers. Coccoa is a large framed bull, and will add that to progeny so wouldnt use him on anything that is big already.

I saw a few Cocoa cows about 5 years ago and they were really large framed, they also lacked in rump muscle.

Sorry I have not used or remember seeing landmark or goldrush. I think I tried to order Visa a couple of years ago but he was not clear for use in Canada.

We have used Landmark some in the past with good results. We got all bull calves so far, so I can't comment on his daughters, though I have been told that they make good daughters. We still have a straw or two in the tank that I'll likely use this year. Landmark is hetero polled and hetero black which likely limited his use in the Gelbvieh breed.

In general, my experience has been that Knoll Crest cattle generally make good females, have performance, and thickness, but may lack a little in eye appeal, though not a big deal for me since I don't show cattle. Another hetero black, hetero polled bull from Knoll Crest that I like is Bennett Ideal. Good daughters, with plenty of milk and performance, though occasionally an Ideal calf may have a bit more attitude than the typical mild-mannered Gelbvieh.

Visa is homo polled and homo black, which likely resulted in more use of this bull. Though I have only seen a handful of Visa cattle, in general I wasn't impressed. They seemed to lack some rib and power, and I've been told that they can be hard-fleshing.

Latest posts