Gelbvieh Bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

gertman

Reaction score
To the people using Gelbvieh bulls what breeds or crosses do they work good with? How did you like them overall?

The Gelbvieh association is really pushing Gelbvieh Angus crosses. I don't see why they wouldn't work well with any of the british breeds. Persoanlly I would like to find some good Gelbvieh Hereford cross heifers. With an angus bull on them I would think you would really get some marketable cattle and the Hereford Gelbvieh cows should be some real barn burners.

dun

Dun, funny you should say that I was talking to a Gelbvieh breeder a few weeks back, and he said pretty much the same thing only he said he would use a Balancer bull on GV X Hereford females.

gertman":3hudh03q said:
Dun, funny you should say that I was talking to a Gelbvieh breeder a few weeks back, and he said pretty much the same thing only he said he would use a Balancer bull on GV X Hereford females.

That would work, but I'ld rather have those F1 Gelbvieh Herefords for momma cows. Unless you happen to have a really heavy milking line of Herefords, the potential of the calf won't be realized till after it's weaned and has moved on to the feedlot. That's money in somebody elses pocket and not mine.

dun

Gelbvieh work really well with Angus bulls. However we just bred 10 Gelbvieh cows to a polled herford bull. I'll let you know how they turn out.

Gertman.........To the people using Gelbvieh bulls what breeds or crosses do they work good with? How did you like them overall?

Cross well with hereford ,shorthorn, angus. 1/2 blood cows here milk well.
The only thing I did,nt like about them is if you got much over 3/4 gelbvieh. They did,nt seem to handle the cold as well. :)

i am looking to get some really good replacment heifers wich would cross best with a black gelbvieh bull braunvieh, beefmasters,or salers. i would most likly breed those heifers back to an angus. all replies needed and by the way i live in ky

Gelbvieh or Simmenthal, although that wasn't one of the choices

dun

dun":17n4t9zv said:

dun
you do not think gelbvieh x simm heifers would get to big.

cleav":bgrn3c7t said:
i am looking to get some really good replacment heifers wich would cross best with a black gelbvieh bull braunvieh, beefmasters,or salers. i would most likly breed those heifers back to an angus. all replies needed and by the way i live in ky
Of the three breeds mentioned I like Saler best, however crossed to a Gelbvieh I like braunvieh.

cleav":3obwbzjj said:
dun":3obwbzjj said:

dun
you do not think gelbvieh x simm heifers would get to big.

That's where bull selection comes in. You can find moderate framed bulls in any of the continental breeds, for that matter you can find a few midgets and giants too. But a 6 frame isn't all that big for continentals. But the bull is only half the equation. If you have really large heifers you can end up with outsize animals even using a smaller framed bull.

dun

I have 40 GelbviehX Angus cross females and 1 Salers show heifer who is a grand champion female. I have pics of her if anyone would like to see her. At the present time I am using a salers bull on the Gelbvieh X Angus cross balancers. We are seeing weaning weights of 650-750 pounds off bermuda grass and cotton seed and soybean meal. They are really coming on. They are getting their growth from the Salers bull. Our average birth weights are about 65 pounds. The Gelbvieh by angus cross females are very docile as is the salers female and bull we have. All the females in our program have an abundant supply of milk and good beef conformation. The salers female I have weighed in at 1100 at 1 year of age. At the present time she is at 1450 she will be 2 in january and calve in january as well. The gelbvieh also seem to make the females mature quicker and breed back quicker as well. All in all I am very satisified and in fact swear by the balancers and salers. This three way cross seems to work very well. They work well in really hot weather which it gets hoooooooooot here in summer and work well in cold weather. It gets really coooooooooold here in winter. I can tell you this. This summer has been very hard to control flies. I went out 2 weeks ago and the cows had flies all over them. I want you to know that there was not a runny eye in the whole lot. That says alot about the toughness of these cattle. Again I swear by them and would not use anything else. I do plan however on eventually using these balancer females as donor cows and use the eggs and sperm from a salers bull to make me a registered salers herd.

Latest posts