geese

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I am raising geese for the first time and I have two females that are laying, one of them did mate with my only male, but I am not sure about the other one, she is a different breed and I am wondering if it is possible for her to mate with him. She is a white chinese and he is and embden, also I have two female muscovy's and two male pekins, would they breed too? if anyone even has the slightest idea please let me know. :) Thanks.

Yes, they will cross breed. I used to raise waterfowl as a ag. project in high school and did some cross breeding of ducks. most come out ugly colored but good eating.

Muscovies will cross with any other breed of duck but the offspring will be like mules-the males will be sterile but the females can be crossed back to either a Muscovy drake or any other breed of drake. The Muscovy duck is really not a duck but a type of Brazilian goose.

Rustler9":29382cr2 said:
Muscovies will cross with any other breed of duck but the offspring will be like mules-the males will be sterile but the females can be crossed back to either a Muscovy drake or any other breed of drake. The Muscovy duck is really not a duck but a type of Brazilian goose.

If Moscovies were geese they wouldn't be crossing with ducks. Moscovies are ducks.

Salicylic,
Breed your Muscovies to another breed of duck and see if the cross bred males will reproduce-they won't. They are called mules. I've been raising them for thirty years or more. Not to say that I'm an expert but this I do know. I have also read in poultry books that the Muscovy is a type of Brazilian goose-hence the reason for the mules that they produce when crossed. Yes, they will cross with any other breed as I said in the earlier post and the females will reproduce but the males will not. A question was asked and I answered it with the information that I have.

Thank you everyone for your input, I am expecting my babies to start hatching maybe tomarrow, it will be 28 days! I can't wait, I really hope I have some little white chinese babies running around! They are so cute! I don't think I am going to have any baby muscovies running around this year because I was a bitlate getting them males, but hopefully next year I will! They are the swetest little ducks. I don't think Iam going to eat any of them , I just have them as a hobby, I'll end up taking most of them to the market, and make some money off of them, then get ready for next years babies, providing this years turn out ok. Once again thank you all for your input! :)

what are muscovies. can someone post a pic. or will i have to research it myself?

Amanda - good luck with your ducks. They are fun. I have a Muscovey hatching right now. So far she has hatched 7 ducks and 2 quineas. Still a few more duck eggs and a few more quineas eggs left to hatch. It is going to be quite the family but it has been very interesting to watch. Have fun!

Beefy":1399h1iw said:
what are muscovies. can someone post a pic. or will i have to research it myself?
Go to the Link jt posted, has pictures.

Latest posts