Gave her a Go

Help Support CattleToday:

torogmc81

Reaction score
Well, my usual two AI tech/vet couldn't make it out today. Not the first time.

Had a Resource heifer with her patch rubbed off this AM. Was a little surprised, we bred her two weeks ago, had shown heat in a small heifer sync group, so wasn't expecting to look out for anything till next Thursday or so. But she was def still standing this AM. One guy was possibly going to make it out around 330. He didn't, plus I did want to wait longer on her anyways, we have her matched up with Musgrave Crackerjack, sorted. So, even though a heifer wasn't my top choice of my first one to give a go, I just had to jump on in.

I took the class at UK last spring. Felt ok about it after two days. Fast forward to today ….. so I went thru the routine. Got her bred (hopefully, as best as I'm able, lol) around 6pm this evening. Really took my time. But I'm not sure how far I made it. The big question is, did I make it past the second ring. After really taking the time to make sure I did all I could, I then deposited the semen, and the rest, well, is the fun of waiting. It's a good feeling to get the ball rolling on this for me, finally. We don't have a big herd, but that's not going to stop me. And we are heavy on heifers too, whether to retain or selling in a few different sales. So I'm going to have to push myself to learn anyways and keep pushing forward

There are some members on this forum who have great knowledge and insight to help with AI techniques. I know that some have helped me gain more confidence doing it myself.
I still have a hard time every once in awhile. Patience is key and trying not to get to frustrated when trying to thread the cervix.

AI is not something that you can "farm out" over where I live. I do all of mine on nature heats, it is not practical to have someone come at all the odd times they need to be bred.

Getting past that third ring on some of the older cows in my group takes every inch of the semen syringe. Relax, take your time and don't force it.

Don't underestimate the role of good heat detection. Your technique can be perfect but you have to be putting semen in the uterus at a time that it can cover the egg when it comes down the oviduct.

Well done on giving it a go. I really enjoy doing my own a.i. Been doing it a couple of years now and it really makes me feel in control of the herd and the direction it takes. But there is always ones that challenge you especially if like me you only have a small herd and can't get enough practice in.

Good onya for having a go, keep at it. As BR said relax take your time and work through it.
One tip I'll give you is when withdrawing Keep a little lateral pressure on the gun so that you can feel the tip flick against the cervical rings as it withdraws. It can be a comfort to confirm where you deposited the semen, also gives you an idea how deep you let it go.

Ken

Bright Raven said:
AI is not something that you can "farm out" over where I live. I do all of mine on nature heats, it is not practical to have someone come at all the odd times they need to be bred.

Getting past that third ring on some of the older cows in my group takes every inch of the semen syringe. Relax, take your time and don't force it.

Don't underestimate the role of good heat detection. Your technique can be perfect but you have to be putting semen in the uterus at a time that it can cover the egg when it comes down the oviduct.

Yes I agree.

I am very critical of myself, but I have to say, my heat detection is very good, our concpetion rates on natural heats is very high. I only just recently started using patches to give me that much more info.

wbvs58 said:
Good onya for having a go, keep at it. As BR said relax take your time and work through it.
One tip I'll give you is when withdrawing Keep a little lateral pressure on the gun so that you can feel the tip flick against the cervical rings as it withdraws. It can be a comfort to confirm where you deposited the semen, also gives you an idea how deep you let it go.

Ken

Thank you for the advice, that is definitely something I will do.