GAURD DONKEY

Help Support CattleToday:

STICK WITH ONE. ANY MORE THAN THAT, AND THEY WILL HANG OUT TOGETHER, AND DO NOTHING!!!!! My Dad is hard of hearing. I feel like I am talking to him.

:clap: :lol:
Yeah, I didn't mean to use all capital letters. I was typing one handed while driving. I figured I'd try one, its a jenny for $350. I didn't know if there was any truth behind the guard donkey or if it was a wives tale. thanks

It's a hit and miss. Many donkeys are advertised as a guard donkey but most of them ended up as a calf killer.

M-5":2b16b005 said:
Biggest mistake is buying one. They are free 99% of the time

Yes, donkeys are free. People know I need them, and I get several offered to me a year.

I agree that $350.00 is too much, by a factor of 10, but at least it's a jenny. I don't have any personal experience with them, but I read an article about them in a cattle magazine a few months ago. The guy that wrote it said to only use jennies, and to get them bred and let them raise a colt every few years. He said that by doing that it keeps the protective instinct alive, and that if you don't let them raise a colt every few years they're likely to stop running off predators. Again, I'm only going by that article, so I won't argue with anyone that disagrees.

M-5":vsppwruk said:
Biggest mistake is buying one. They are free 99% of the time
Yup, you can find a free donkey at the sale barns. I've seen free donkeys on Craigslist all times.

The people that used to live next to me had one. (Refuse to call them Neighbors). He broke through the fence and started running my cows and calves. I didn't have a gun with me at the time or he wouldn't have made it. He did run and hide every time he saw my pasture Jeep after that though.

Personally I think buying a baby Jenny and raising her up with the herd works the best. Buying a adult or a free one you may or may not be getting someone else's problem. Either way whatever you choose I wish you luck.

Buying a young jenny is not a great idea. Buy a jenny that has had a colt or two and buy her from someone reputable who will take her back if she does not work at your place. A young jenny has not gone through the mothering process to kick in those instincts. I saw a guy in north FL try that and the coyotes had a field day. We have 12+ and they work great as long as I am smarter than they are. No matter what or how many you get just remember, "Every donkey thinks it can sing".

Ebenezer":12ntlgxt said:
Buying a young jenny is not a great idea. Buy a jenny that has had a colt or two and buy her from someone reputable who will take her back if she does not work at your place. A young jenny has not gone through the mothering process to kick in those instincts. I saw a guy in north FL try that and the coyotes had a field day. We have 12+ and they work great as long as I am smarter than they are. No matter what or how many you get just remember, "Every donkey thinks it can sing".

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: And with 12 of them your place must sound like the Mormon Tabernacle Choir every morning but all Off key.

Think I'll just stick with my Pyrenees dog.