GAURD DONKEY

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred":3155xnp8 said:
Ebenezer":3155xnp8 said:
Buying a young jenny is not a great idea. Buy a jenny that has had a colt or two and buy her from someone reputable who will take her back if she does not work at your place. A young jenny has not gone through the mothering process to kick in those instincts. I saw a guy in north FL try that and the coyotes had a field day. We have 12+ and they work great as long as I am smarter than they are. No matter what or how many you get just remember, "Every donkey thinks it can sing".

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: And with 12 of them your place must sound like the Mormon Tabernacle Choir every morning but all Off key.

Think I'll just stick with my Pyrenees dog.

I bet those donkeys are louder than a bunch of potrackers :bang:

Muddy":u5tfj7pz said:
I don't envy anyone to spent $$$ into a herd of 12+ hay burners that wrecks the fences.

They do not bother fences and I feed the cows little to no hay so that is not a problem. We have them scattered in 7 pastures and some are with sheep, bulls or cows and some are 2 or 3 donkeys alone in a group in a grazed over pasture to work as barriers to coyote patterns. If you think donkeys are fence problems for you (not here) try a herd of cows with a pack of dogs behind going through 4 fences per dog run or try 5 sheep disappearing per night. Then repeat that several times per month.

Donkeys have uses beyond predators. They will strip the bark from privet, eat poison ivy, can be trained to eat thistle buds and blooms, control red root pigweed, ... You just have to look at the coal and know that one day it will be a diamond!

Latest posts